[compilation time]Ecota
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Il turisto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: [compilation time]Ecota Reply with quote

hi everibody,

First of all I'm sorry for my bad english but I'm a french speaker.

I wan't to present to you a little program that I have developped. It's name ecota.
Ecota stand for Emerge COmpilation Time Approximator.

It's a program based on the community for estimating time of compilation.

How it works?

It really easy. It's only one bash script. You copy them somewhere on your computer, register on my poor website (http://ecota.talri.com/), configure the script with your username, password and computer name, and your ready.
With this script you can calculate your sbu* and send it to the server. After that it will be great if you send all your compilation time on my server with the script (./ecota sendall) because my software is based on the community. So it use your compilation time to estimate compilation time for other user.
For the moment my database is empty so ecota can't estimate your compilation time. But with the time when database will grow it will be a powerful tool to estimate how long it will take to compile one program and it's dependence.
With my script you can approximate the time for one package (./ecota approximate PACKAGENAME) or you can calculate time for a program and its dependency and launch compilation (if in option you have choosed to) (./ecota emerge PACKAGENAME).

Ecota can use emerge for calculate approximation (slow but compatible with all gentoo box).
It also can use eix (fast but you will have to install eix)

Ecota also use genlop so please emerge genlop before using my tool.

Of course ecota need to be executed as root (or from a member of portage group (not tested)).

Ecota is in beta but testing and feedback will be really appreciated.
If this tool is used I will install a trac for feedback and implement lot of new functionality.
Example : for the moment ecota don't take care of use flags.

If someone want to write an ebuild he is welcome.

Big thanks for help and testing.

*What is SBU?
SBU is Static Binutils Unit. It is the time your computer takes to compile binutils.
Il turisto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website of ecota as a new look : http://ecota.talri.com/index.php

I hope you like this new design.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: