Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigitalCorpus wrote:
I currently have an odd setup where I server some very large files, i.e. 3GB and up, and down to regular tiny ones under 512KiB or even regularly under 4KiB. I use XFS because it has provided the best performance for the above giant files, but it's latency when doing seeking operations kills small file performance. I need some suggestions. I'm not sure what to benchmark to test Ext4, btrfs, Reiser4, ext3 and XFS.
The reason XFS is considered best for large files is because it has the combination of extents, delayed allocation, and an online defrag - the net result is noticeably reduced fragmentation. Ext4, reiser4, and btrfs all have extents, and ext4 and reiser4 have delayed allocation. btrfs and ext4 are scheduled to get an online defrag, but afaik they're not ready yet.

Basically, if you're concerned about latency issues in xfs and using reiser4 or ext4 is an option for you, by all means use one of them.
DigitalCorpus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using kernel 2.6.28 patched with Reiser4. I've had two crashes in 2.6.29 so I never made the jump with it on my server. I'm considering waiting until 2.6.30 becomes stable due to revisions in Ext4 and Btrfs and CFQ. I remember reading that Reiser4 will go mainline in late summer too but that will probably be 2.6.31.

I'm at a technical limitation due to the fact that I have nearly 1.4TB of data that I need a place to store it on. I have 2x1.5TB drives, a 1TB drive and a 500GiB partition on my boot drive. I haven't moved to LVM because I haven't committed to a filesystem to use. I'm not sure if I should commit and on just two of my drives and then shuffle everything over when 2.6.30 becomes stable or just wing it on regular partitions/disks until it goes stable.

Aside from bonnie++, are there any other benchmark programs that can give me latency readings?
ferrelas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Probelms with journaled file systems and software raid? Reply with quote

I've built a software RAID array and I'll be doing it again in the future, but I have one question tho. I read a thread about sw RAID not getting along with ext3, so I formatted the array with xfs. Is the problem still there or is it solved? And what about ext4 btrfs and nilfs?
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which thread ?
i´ve been using sw raid and ext3 (and xfs too) for years now and had no troubles at all.

cheers
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Probelms with journaled file systems and software raid? Reply with quote

ferrelas wrote:
I've built a software RAID array and I'll be doing it again in the future, but I have one question tho. I read a thread about sw RAID not getting along with ext3, so I formatted the array with xfs. Is the problem still there or is it solved? And what about ext4 btrfs and nilfs?

ext3's problems with md are chunk related, other filesystems like reiserfs and xfs autostride correctly. This doesn't effect reliability, only performance.
ferrelas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the performance issues there in ext4 as well?

I first found out about this from a warning on the gentoo wiki article on software raid and it linked to this thread.

While on the topic of raid, can you add disks to an array (raid5) that's formated and has data on the file systems?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrelas wrote:
Are the performance issues there in ext4 as well?

Shouldn't be, one of the key improvements ext4 make over ext3 is it's more dynamic nature. But it's rather unproven (in fact, it's started off with a bad track record) on the reliability front.

ferrelas wrote:
While on the topic of raid, can you add disks to an array (raid5) that's formated and has data on the file systems?

Yup, "mdadm --add /dev/mddevice /dev/sdXn && mdadm --grow --raid-devices=new_num_of_devices && resize_helperforyourfilesystem /dev/mddevice" will usually do it. Where sdXn is the partition you want to add to your mdraid5 device. The same applies to enlarging mdraid1 devices.
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Probelms with journaled file systems and software raid? Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
ferrelas wrote:

ext3's problems with md are chunk related, other filesystems like reiserfs and xfs autostride correctly. This doesn't effect reliability, only performance.

ext3...and all filesystems...have generic performance problems on x86-64, although said issues are ostensibly rectified in 2.6.30.

(2.6.30-rc7 here. Not yet, although I haven't pulled the release proper.)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the six preceding posts.
keola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: File System advice Reply with quote

Hey... I'm not going to bore you all with how I ended up with a 1tb NTFS partition, but I have 800gb of data on it. I think between cleaning and all my other hd's I can back it up temporarily...

The system is a PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3ghz, 4gb ram 6x300gb u320 scsi) - The 1tb part is a raid5 and this is where I store all of my important stuff. I currently use ntfs3g and it works great, well better than a virtual xp machine sharing the drive via cifs!

Since ntfs3g is a usermode driver, I know I will get better performance with ext3 or another native file system. I have kept this as NTFS because it is easy to undelete stuff from it - this does not happen that often anymore though. The partition is constantly used to access HD video and hi-res pictures and cd images with about 2 clients average. Performance is ok I guess.

I would like to ask if this was your setup, would you stick with ntfs3g or would you convert it and if so, what filesystem would you use? This machine also has a hefty ups unit and does shutdown when things get critical.

Thanks!
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider XFS personally. But TBH if it ain't broke and there are no complaints I might be inclined to save the move for hardware refresh - how long are you going to have that box around?

Assuming an alternative redundant box with enough storage (or a SAN) hanging around is an over-optimistic thought....
keola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am moving the data off the drive now. I plan to keep this box as my gentoo server until it dies lol.. it's about 5 years old already but it has only had a good three years of use. It's a dell PE2850 btw. So it should work as my router / firewall / web server for many years.

Once my unemployment streak ends, I plan to get an single 1tb external to do nightly backups on.

You are the first to mention xfs - I see a lot of buzz about it in #gentoo. I was going to go with ext3 just because we know it is solid, but I will look into xfs while I am waiting for my data to copy over.

Thanks!
Sysa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keola wrote:
Well I am moving the data off the drive now. I plan to keep this box as my gentoo server until it dies lol.. it's about 5 years old already but it has only had a good three years of use. It's a dell PE2850 btw. So it should work as my router / firewall / web server for many years.

Once my unemployment streak ends, I plan to get an single 1tb external to do nightly backups on.

You are the first to mention xfs - I see a lot of buzz about it in #gentoo. I was going to go with ext3 just because we know it is solid, but I will look into xfs while I am waiting for my data to copy over.

Thanks!

I suggest you to evaluate the ReiserFS (v3!). The ext3 has near the same features but also a very unpleasant one - after unclean reboot and sometimes after clean reboots it starts fsck and it can take very long time for 1TB! ;)
keola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had horrible experiences with reiserfs (v3) never used v4 for this reason. I did a lot of google and decided to go with xfs, it looks best for my applications. For some reason I thought XFS was new - but then I remember seeing it in the kernel for quite a while now. I still have a few hours, many hours it looks before I get the data off. So until then, I am still open to comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with XFS, make sure you defrag regularly. I use XFS on my media drive on my MythTV box and it fragments as bad as any Windows filesystem.

Defragging is easily handled, though. Just make it a cron job. The volume doesn't even need to be umounted.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the six preceding posts.
Sysa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keola wrote:
I have had horrible experiences with reiserfs (v3) never used v4 for this reason. I did a lot of google and decided to go with xfs, it looks best for my applications. For some reason I thought XFS was new - but then I remember seeing it in the kernel for quite a while now. I still have a few hours, many hours it looks before I get the data off. So until then, I am still open to comments and suggestions.

Thanks!

The only rule is mandatory (IMHO) - NEVER use ReiserFS as a root FS!
Usually I have a small (256Mb) root FS (ext3) built on RAID1 and mount other (mainly ReiserFS) based on LVM with or without RAIDs as necessary (/usr, /var, /home, /opt, /tmp etc). Sometimes I'm using specific FS for some directories (e.g. tmpfs for /tmp).
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a new thread, but it was marked as duplicate of this one, so...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6080670#6080670

Quote:
I'm going to make slow network storage powered by gentoo.
it will be made of SATA disks in linux software RAID5 or 6.
it will be accessed through couple of linux software iSCSI targets and NFS servers hosted on multiple 1Gbps NICs.
guess that single storage partiton would be about 10TB large.

and, here I have a question: which filesystem to use?

ability to grow filesystem after expanding RAID would be a must.
ability to shrink filesystem would be nice, but not mandatory.

performance are welcome, but reliability is more important.

any advice about filesystem?

any advice about anything else? :)

there were two replies by users:

djdunn wrote:
if you want reliability id go ext3, its very mature and stable.

Kollin wrote:
xfs is expandable but not shrinkable, and you should use xfs ONLY if you have very, VERY reliable UPS !!!
lvm ?
Currently I'm using reiser4 on my raid10 (lost data few times with xfs - power outage and my ups did not come on line fast enough) :wink:

and one by me:

Quote:
I have APC SmartUPS SUA750I and had no problems so far using XFS, but it was not RAID and it was not so big partition.

ext3 is the most mature and stable.

how about ext4?
it's quite new, but considering it's in stable kernel tree now, guess it will stabilize quite fast...

I would skip reiser4 because I don't need such a level of performance and I would like something more supported/tested.

I would skip reiserfs because I've read it doesn't scale too well with parallel request/processing/disk access.

about LVM, I don't know what could I get from it. I have RAID5/6 expansion with linux kernel RAID and I don't need snapshoting.
any other adventage of LVM?

so, just ignore this LVM-related part and give your oppinions about filesystem... ;)
Colt45
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10GB HD Im going to add to my home server for caching proxy storage. What would be the best FS for this? Obviously a lot of random reads/writes and data reliability is not too important. Also, Im running CFQ I/O scheduler, would deadline or anticipatory be better?
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45 wrote:
I have a 10GB HD Im going to add to my home server for caching proxy storage. What would be the best FS for this? Obviously a lot of random reads/writes and data reliability is not too important. Also, Im running CFQ I/O scheduler, would deadline or anticipatory be better?

Are you talking about squid? My server is very underpowered so I went with jfs for my squid cache partition. Previously it was ext4. Honestly, if there's a difference I can't see it. I switched to jfs because of it's lower CPU utilisation.
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hard to beat for so many purposes... is good old not so sexy ext3. (link is some recent Phoronix benchmarks)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myceliv wrote:
Still hard to beat for so many purposes... is good old not so sexy ext3. (link is some recent Phoronix benchmarks)

didn't you read in the comments section ? the results seem to be flawed - in favor of ext3

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Colt45
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regomodo wrote:
Colt45 wrote:

Are you talking about squid? My server is very underpowered so I went with jfs for my squid cache partition. Previously it was ext4. Honestly, if there's a difference I can't see it. I switched to jfs because of it's lower CPU utilisation.

Yes, squid. Lower cpu utilization is a good idea. Ill keep that in mind.
lord_sesshomaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Filesystem for data archiving Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a new 1,5 TB extrernal hard drive and I am not sure what fs to put on it. Any ideas?

The disk is mainly for archiving - putting a lot of files there (typically with sizes from hundreds megabytes to several gigabytes), and reading them from time to time. Intensive usage or many parallel access are not planned. I don't see usage for any fancy features in this setup so even basic filesystem could do the work. My concerns are about overhead - I don't want to spend my precious disk space on fs datastructures.

What is good fs for this use case? Does anybody know of some benchmarks how much space does different fs take?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know that there's a lot of people here that use this :

ext3,ext4 and reiserfs4.

If you want to be safe, you can go with ext3, it's an old fs that proved to be good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: