Gentoo Forums Management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kluster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Forums Management Reply with quote

I noticed these forums run phpBB2. I guess this is really to the administrator: How is it going? The Gentoo forum seems to be significantly more functional than the other phpBB forums I use. A lot of my favorites use IBP and vB, so I would like to get your opinion and experiences with phpBB.

I'm going to be in charge of a rather large forum operation soon, and I've talked to a lot of administrators who've told me that phpBB sucks - and moreover for pre-v3 releases. I'm not expecting that you have experience with other software since, as an open source endeavor, Gentoo would understandably want to support phpBB, but do you think phpBB can be made to be as good as IPB or vB? Thanks.
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not being a fan or so...its the first forum ive installed on the server was phpBB en its just as awsome as it can be...its still on default on my server, but i think with the source code in hand u are only limited to ur imagination...u can make it better as far as u can go :D
Nvidia GT200
http://www.zanbytes.com
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with phpBB, IPB and VB. I greatly prefer phpBB because it is opensource (as muhsinzubeir pointed out). IPB has some nice features as well, but I don't think that any of them compare to the feature-rich modularity of phpBB.
danielcs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never worked with phpBB 3 so I can't compare it, but between IPB/vB and phpBB 2 I would certainly pick IPB or vB.
I've been running an IPB forum (with MySQL) for over 3 years now, we currently have 6000+ members and it runs great, very easy to maintain.

phpBB3 is probably better, but the one thing I hate about phpBB2 is the search feature.
Just try it here at the Gentoo forums... it just sucks, it removes some characters and you get a lot of useless results.

IPB/vB are not open-source but they're still PHP.
You can open the files and tweak the code as much as you want. There are also a lot of mods (sometimes called hacks) around that you can install to extend it's features.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison between phpBB2 and IPB/VB is definitely different than phpBB3. The search feature is much nicer in phpBB3, and several other aspects have been greatly improved. The administrator control panel on phpBB3 is remarkably better. Your best bet would be to install and try phpBB3 firstly, and then if you aren't satisfied you can install one of the other non-free boards. :)
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kalos. phpBB3 is lightyears ahead of phpBB2, especially when it comes to administrative functions. In contrast to phpBB2, it already contains a lot (!) of useful features, so it will need very little modification. In fact, I have only added 4 lines of code to the php.

It has also been 100% free from automatic spambots, at least until now. I had approximaltely 50 spambot registrations per day with phpBB2.
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spam is getting worse and worse now =\
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: