How to add drivers to custom live CD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iQwerty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: How to add drivers to custom live CD? Reply with quote

Hi,

I created a live CD by following the steps in this tutorial: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_create_a_custom_distro_(in_less_than_three_hours)

Everything works perfectly, except for one thing: I don't know how to add drivers. If I just make && install them with DESTDIR=/real, the drivers don't appear when I chroot to the real directory and while making I get these mismatching errors:

WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'rest_init' (at offset 0xc01010ec) and 'try_name'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc0313e76) and '_etext'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at offset 0xc014e226) and 's_start'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_clut224 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc021621a) and 'lcd_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_mono from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc021621f) and 'lcd_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc03144fe) and '_etext'

Does anyone know how to properly add drivers to the live CD?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Fixed the link to the tutorial. -- desultory
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are thinking along the correct lines. You will need to chroot into your custom install to install any drivers. One issue you might face is that your uname will report the kernel you are booted into, not the one symlinked to /usr/src/linux. This however should not be a problem if you are installing drivers in portage. Are you trying to install a driver not included in portage?

Also, once chrooted into your environment make sure your run an env-update && source /etc/profile to update your environment.

I've not seen the error you are getting, and I haven't used that particular howto, but I've made many livecd's, and you should be able to install anything inside a chroot, just as you would regularly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: