Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
dstat reporting twice the actual disk activity?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
no_hope
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: dstat reporting twice the actual disk activity? Reply with quote

I noticed that dstat in the dsk/total column seems to report twice the amount of data transferred to and from disk.

For example, if I am transferring a file over 100Mbps network, scp will report about 10MB/s, dstat's network "send" column will report about 10MB/s, but the disk read column is reporting over 20MB/s. Similar things happens when I move data between drives. pv would report X MB/s and dstat will report 2X for both reads and writes. Copying to /dev/null is also reported to be at twice the rate it should be.

Am I missing something?
Janne Pikkarainen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: dstat reporting twice the actual disk activity? Reply with quote

no_hope wrote:
I noticed that dstat in the dsk/total column seems to report twice the amount of data transferred to and from disk.

For example, if I am transferring a file over 100Mbps network, scp will report about 10MB/s, dstat's network "send" column will report about 10MB/s, but the disk read column is reporting over 20MB/s. Similar things happens when I move data between drives. pv would report X MB/s and dstat will report 2X for both reads and writes. Copying to /dev/null is also reported to be at twice the rate it should be.

Am I missing something?

I guess dstat reports the disk throughput in blocks per second, and as one block = 512 bytes, the reported transfer speed seems to be twice the rate it should be.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: