recommended sound card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F-0_ICE
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: recommended sound card Reply with quote

i am looking for a new sound card to get but would like some advice.

requirements:

hardware mixing

digitial coax output (coax preferred but optical will work too)

DTS/DD pass through capability (nice to have but not really necessary)

full alsa support

TIA
ATI: RADEON HD 4350
Linksys: WMP54G

True Knowledge is Best Acquired Through Experience.
ttuegel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware mixing and full ALSA support pretty much limit you to Creative cards based on the EMU10K1 chip (the SoundBlaster/Audigy lines, not the X-Fi). IIRC, the Audigy4 is based on a different chip, as is the Audigy LS, so I'd stay away from those. I have an Audigy2 right now that works just fine with ALSA. I don't have the digital outputs on mine, but I know there are models that have them, especially the models that come with the drive bay panel with about 10 bajillion outputs that connects to the card inside your case. I am under the impression that DTS passthrough also works on these cards, but as I don't have digital out, I wouldn't really be able to tell you that.
F-0_ICE
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttuegel wrote:
Hardware mixing and full ALSA support pretty much limit you to Creative cards based on the EMU10K1 chip (the SoundBlaster/Audigy lines, not the X-Fi). IIRC, the Audigy4 is based on a different chip, as is the Audigy LS, so I'd stay away from those. I have an Audigy2 right now that works just fine with ALSA. I don't have the digital outputs on mine, but I know there are models that have them, especially the models that come with the drive bay panel with about 10 bajillion outputs that connects to the card inside your case. I am under the impression that DTS passthrough also works on these cards, but as I don't have digital out, I wouldn't really be able to tell you that.

according to what i saw the audigy to has coax and optical I/O but you have to buy something extra to get it :roll: but that only works with the audigy 2 value card according to them. its also apparently needed for the x-fi cards for coax/optical I/O

i have an old sb0220 which uses the emu10k1 chip works well, but not with the I/O module.

the xi-fi series card look great and its good that creative released info to the alsa devs but it will probably take some time before we even have a driver that will work if only on a basic level from alsa.

the only problem i have getting an audigy is that the only one being sold are the audigy SE which doesn't have hardware mixing.

i can't find an audigy 2 value anywhere aside from ebay.

BTW thanks for the reply
ATI: RADEON HD 4350
Linksys: WMP54G

True Knowledge is Best Acquired Through Experience.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audigy 4 is based on what? It's an improved version of the Audigy 2. Just thought I'd clear that up, since I've actually used both cards in Linux (using analogue cables, not digital).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: