View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Who is automounting now?(SOLVED) Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo and Gnome-light in my new box and everything went great except one thing: it automatically mount my Windows partitions
with some strange names such as "15.7GB Media, DATA" .

Initially as all the windows partitions are NTFS, it wouldn't mount until I installed ntfs3g, but after I put entries with the partion names I want into /etc/fstab,
I noticed strange named window partitions appears on my desktop every time I login and in my gnome menu -> places menu as well. I could disable
those partitions not show on my desktop by gconf-editor, but what I really want is make those Windows partitions mounted with correct names shown.

I tried disable gnome-volume-manager automount everything and even removed it, nothing changed. I also tried to comment out those partitions entries in /etc/fstab , and noticed a new entry will appear in /etc/mtab. So looks like something else is auto mounting those partitions, probably HAL? I know very little about it and couldn't find anything to changed. Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by pstar on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only experience with KDE, but I just rename (select the device icon, press F2) all the devices (usb ones too).
If this does not work try to right-click on the device icon and see if there's someting to rename the device (look also into "properties").

Also if you set noauto and owner -options in fstab (letting gnome handle those ) for those devices (partitions), you could possibly set their mount point with gnome mounter utility (gnome-volume-manager?).
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
EvaSDK
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems usb automount gets broken with recent udev and older kernels (less or equal to 2.6.23)
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I have only experience with KDE, but I just rename (select the device icon, press F2) all the devices (usb ones too).
If this does not work try to right-click on the device icon and see if there's someting to rename the device (look also into "properties").

Also if you set noauto and owner -options in fstab (letting gnome handle those ) for those devices (partitions), you could possibly set their mount point with gnome mounter utility (gnome-volume-manager?).

1. Tried, but couldn't do that.
2. I already removed gnome-volume-manager, but I will try that later.
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvaSDK wrote:
it seems usb automount gets broken with recent udev and older kernels (less or equal to 2.6.23)

Does the same bug affect hal? I rescently had to downgrade hal to get any device icons show up on my desk when inserting a device (USB or optical disc).
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thank you guys, it turns out a small problem come from my side :-)

I managed get ride of automount by mount my Windows partitions in /mnt instead of in /media in /etc/fstab,
but after that I realized that this change only affect wither gnome display it on my places shortcuts or not.
If my mount points are in /media, the only difference is gnome will make a shortcuts on my gnome menu, but
the strange names displayed in menu must come from somewhere, and it turned out come from labels in NTFS
partitions.

As labels are not necessary and can always change later, when I partitioned my new hard drive a few days ago,
I assigned labels come out my mind at that moment to some partitions but not all, That is why gnome menu
displayed some strange and inconsistent names for my NTFS partitions.

Actually gnome-volume-manage or hal tried to make my life easier by try to get hints from NTFS partitions label
and if there is none, it will come up with it own name.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pstar wrote:
I managed get ride of automount by mount my Windows partitions in /mnt instead of in /media in /etc/fstab,
but after that I realized that this change only affect wither gnome display it on my places shortcuts or not.
If my mount points are in /media, the only difference is gnome will make a shortcuts on my gnome menu, but
the strange names displayed in menu must come from somewhere, and it turned out come from labels in NTFS
partitions.

I don't know how it should be, but I think that /mnt is the place where local hard-drive mount points that have no place in system elsewere (Like windows C: -drive). And /media is for plugable/insertable mass storage media.
I, myself rarely use mnt. I have all partitions in use. Actually I have heaps of partitions. :P Some of them are mounted with bind.
Some Linux distributions (auto mounters?) use /mnt for /media too. I think /media was invented for more easy auto mounting.

Anyway. If you have got rid of the problem, please add '[SOLVED]' to the end of topic. ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, and marked solved now :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: