View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fartgeyser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: [Solved] Problem with Intel 845G Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just got my hands on a 'new' computer, a Dell Dimension 2400 that was given to me because it 'crashed'. Turns out, XP was just foobar, so of course I installed Gentoo.

Everything went smoothly until I got to working with X. I went through the Xorg HowTo on the main Gentoo site, and got X working for the most part. However, I have a couple of problems.

First, it seems like X is displaying a resolution of 1024x768@60Hz. Not too abnormal, EXCEPT that I explicitly defined in xorg.conf that it should only go up to 800x600. While messing around, even changing xorg.conf to 640x480 yields no change in display output.

Secondly, I can't for the life of me seem to get direct rendering. I've done a lot of searching, a lot of kernel recompiles, and a lot of reboots trying to get this to work. I've followed this and several other slight variations I've found on Google, all to no success. It's not that I just don't get direct rendering, though, I also get some peculiar feedback when I try to start X (which fails) using the configuration from the above link:
Code:

(II) Module already built-in
(EE) intel(0): detecting sil164
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 236.
(EE) intel(0): ivch: Unable to read register 0x00 from DVOI2C_B:04
(EE) intel(0): Unable to read from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) intel(0): tfp410 not detected got VID FFFFFFFF: from DVOI2C_E Slave 112.
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
(EE) intel(0): Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRAM set too low?
(EE) intel(0): Couldn't allocate video memory

As a matter of fact, I get those messages every time I compile the necessary parts for direct rendering into the kernel instead of as modules. When I try modules instead and modprobe them, I just get a 1024x768 unaccelerated screen.

Also, running a 'emerge -uDN world' tells me my system is completely up to date.

Can anybody help me out?

Last edited by fartgeyser on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

845G does better with the older video "i810" drivers so i'd mask the newer "intel" drivers rebuild, then change xorg.conf to use "i810".
/etc/portage/package.mask:
>x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-2

Then just make sure you have what you need in the kernel like agp and DRM. If your in the video group then you should be set for direct rendering.

Device Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
<M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) ---> <M> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support

<M> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support
<M> Intel 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G
<M> i915 driver

Built in or modules, whatever floats your boat. :)
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellr wrote:
845G does better with the older video "i810" drivers so i'd mask the newer "intel" drivers rebuild, then change xorg.conf to use "i810".
/etc/portage/package.mask:
>x11-drivers/xf86-video-i810-2

Then just make sure you have what you need in the kernel like agp and DRM. If your in the video group then you should be set for direct rendering.

Device Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
<M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) ---> <M> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support

<M> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support
<M> Intel 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G
<M> i915 driver

Built in or modules, whatever floats your boat. :)

++

For the 845 (I have an 855, same problem), the newer intel drivers don't work, and do several terrible things:

1) Set your res for you.
2) Choose your DPI
3) DRI doesn't work at ALL.

Once you follow skellr's instructions, check out this thread for how to fix the font issues you are going to suffer from:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-514639-highlight-.html

If the old drivers don't work for your resolution problem, let me know. I had to run some weird program to get some line to add to my xorg.conf that I can't remember (but will dig up if need be) to get my color depth and resolution working right.
fartgeyser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot guys, that did the trick. I can get the resolutions I ask for and I get about 645 fps in glxgears. However, I will say that I had to compile all of the video stuff as kernel modules for some reason, but whatever, it works :D.

@Raziel
I haven't gotten a chance to test out the fonts yet, but I'm in the process of emerging Firefox. I'll report my results of that when it's installed.

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: Good news, I have no font problems! I am actually on the computer right now and everything looks great. Thanks!
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fartgeyser wrote:
Wow, thanks a lot guys, that did the trick. I can get the resolutions I ask for and I get about 645 fps in glxgears. However, I will say that I had to compile all of the video stuff as kernel modules for some reason, but whatever, it works :D.

@Raziel
I haven't gotten a chance to test out the fonts yet, but I'm in the process of emerging Firefox. I'll report my results of that when it's installed.

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: Good news, I have no font problems! I am actually on the computer right now and everything looks great. Thanks!

Awesome dude!
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.
fartgeyser wrote:
... I get about 645 fps ...

I'm only getting about half of that. :lol:
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the newer xorg-server 1.5 in testing requires the 2.x intel video drivers now. :o The old drivers won't compile with the new (mesa/libdrm?)

Startup is still really slow but if you disable DDC and define a modeline in xorg.conf it starts up snappy again. The only problem is it will still lockup with some underrun on pipe A error.

Almost there!
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellr wrote:
So, the newer xorg-server 1.5 in testing requires the 2.x intel video drivers now. :o The old drivers won't compile with the new (mesa/libdrm?)

Startup is still really slow but if you disable DDC and define a modeline in xorg.conf it starts up snappy again. The only problem is it will still lockup with some underrun on pipe A error.

Almost there!

I was never able to solve the system lockups... I guess when intel 1.7 is no longer supported I will no longer be running gentoo... until I get a more modern system to run it on. Lame.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: