View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't get to alternate ttys Reply with quote

I have one system that boots into a guest autologin using gdm primarily for Linux newbies to run firefox.

Somehow, when changing the profile from 2007.0 to default/2008.0/desktop, I lost the ability to switch tty's using CTL-ALT-F1 et cetera. I like to sync and upgrade in a non-X environment, but can't get to it anymore. CTL-ALT-Backspace kills X, but gdm just restarts.

At the same time, the keypad Home, End, Del, and arrow keys stopped working. Hitting Home in an Xterminal results in ";P7" being typed.

My main machine is of the same processor family, Amd64, and has a similar keyboard and the same Nvidia video chip. Are their any files I can copy to restore the broken machine? I don't understand the Xkeyboard options in xorg.conf at all.

Last edited by Tony0945 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get to alternate ttys Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
I have one system that boots into a guest autologin using gdm primarily for Linux newbies to run firefox.

Somehow, when changing the profile from 2007.0 to default/2008.0/desktop, I lost the ability to switch tty's using CTL-ALT-F1 et cetera. I like to sync and upgrade in a non-X environment, but can't get to it anymore. CTL-ALT-Backspace kills X, but gdm just restarts.

At the same time, the keypad Home, End, Del, and arrow keys stopped working. Hitting Home in an Xterminal results in ";P7" being typed.

My main machine is of the same processor family, Amd64, and has a similar keyboard and the same Nvidia video chip. Are their any files I can copy to restore the broken machine? I don't understand the Xkeyboard options in xorg.conf at all.

What makes you believe just switching profiles has these troubles appear? Did you by chance do a world upgrade, overlooking a switch to >=xorg-server-1.4 hence using evdev for both keyboard and mouse?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the hint. It lead me to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg#Keyboard_Mappings.

As suggested there, I unmerged xkeyboard-config and emerged xkbdata which solved the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: