Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why the hate for Microsoft?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackelPDW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Why the hate for Microsoft? Reply with quote

As a relative newcomer to Gentoo and these forums, I find myself amazed at the amount of Windows bashing and Microsoft bashing that goes on in these forums. I have used Windows ever since 98, and currently run XP on my good machine, and Gentoo on my crappier one.

I was just wondering what is that little thing inside of y'alls brain that makes you so against MS? Call me befuddled, but I can't remember XP really grinding on my nerves. Nor Gentoo.

What's the rub?
mlang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree with you that there is sometimes pointless Microsoft bashing in these forums. But I find it hard to believe that you can't see the source of at least some of it. The quality of Microsoft products aside (and that is a BIG aside), the company's questionable business practises have put off a great many people -- especially those who are proponents of free software and open source.

edit: Are you the same JackalPDW that used to post at Pie's?

Last edited by mlang on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try overpriced non working programs. The only working OS that MS has released is Win2k and it's not that good either. If I pay 500 euro for a OS I expect it to work.
I've had my Linux server running for about 9 months without a reebot while the Win2k server has never been up for more than a month. I don't hate them I just don't think they make anything worht paying for. Their products are simply not worth the money they expect us to pay.
FLUG member 473
Tasslehoff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly differing philosphies I think is a major cause. That and it is easy to hate those that hate you. I believe that Microsoft hates any of the competition, it is past competing, past rivalry they want to utterly destroy all that opposes them.

You will notice slamming of other distros and rivalry amoung the open source community. the BSD's vs Linux, the various linux distros vs each other, they all have a rivalry but I see it as more of a friendly one.
Halanegri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that MS is a convicted monopolist is enough reason to dislike them.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasslehoff wrote:
Strongly differing philosphies I think is a major cause.
I totally agree. Nice post. :-)
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this on another formun besides this, but I'll repost it here:

For me it's because of their unethical and illegal business-practices. They have been found repeatedly to be an abusive monopoly. Let's see....

1) They used illegal means to kill Netscape. They bundled their product (IE) with their monopoly-product (Windows). Using your monopoly to push you other products is illegal. MS did just that.

2) They denied Netscape access to the distribution-channel. They basically told OEM:s that "If you ship Netscape, you wont get Windows"

3) They do their best to reduce interoperability. They break existing standards for their owh gain (embrace & extend)

4) They use their monopoly to squeeze even more money from their customers. The new licensing-scheme doubled my employers licensing-expenses.

6) They killed DR-DOS by artifically making sure Windows (3.1) would not run on top of it. There was no real reason for it not to work, MS just made sure that Windows checked what version of DOS was running underneath. If it was DR-DOS, Windows would display memory-errors and behave erratically. In case you don't remember: DR-DOS was a competitor to MS-DOS. It was alot more advanced that MS-DOS on several areas. Thanks to MS, a superior product was killed in favour of mediocre product.

6) I do not like to do business with criminals (see 1))

Add to that list their lying and spreading of FUD about Linux.
JackelPDW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlang wrote:
edit: Are you the same JackalPDW that used to post at Pie's?

Yep! :D Although I don't recognize your name?

Well, I am a newcomer to linux, and have been frustrated trying to get things to work, but I have merely attributed that to my lack of linux experience. Is there not anywhere though that offers a FAQ for linux? A website with a bunch of tutorials? It's really frustrating trying to search forums for answers on how to do things, but o well...

And regarding Microsoft, mahellma pointed out what I was trying to talk about.

Quote:
The only working OS that MS has released is Win2k and it's not that good either. If I pay 500 euro for a OS I expect it to work.

I personally use XP Pro for all my gaming/networking needs, and it runs just fine. I never get any errors, and I've had slowdowns in both Linux and Windows. And while their business practices may be angering to the competition, they are common tactics used in a capitalistic market. Killing a better product by marketing and cuthroat tactics is nothing new to our system(Sony BETA tapes anyone?).

From the short time I have been here, and for the little amount my opinion will count to y'all, it would seem Linux will fail, or at least hobble along if they do not adapt to Microsoft, and then branch out. I have had such a nightmare trying to get a good word processor onot my Gentoo system. I have Office XP, but aparently Wine won't take that, so I'm stuck with two very sub par Office Suites. As much as people want to ignore it, MS has some of the best products on the market. If the Linux community won't make their stuff interoperable to MS's standards, then they will fail...

Yea, Microsoft might be some "Big Brother" or "Evil Empire" to the bleeding heart radicals out there looking for some injustice to cry out against, but it would seem to me that the Microsoft bashing around here prooves to only hurt your chances at competing with Ms. If everyone is always bashing them, then you are bound to think everything they do is wrong. Then, you have missed valuable lessons from a computer company that made it's start just like Linux did...a bunch of computer programmers working out of their basement who had a good idea, and ran all the way into history with it.

Well, I know this post will probably get dismissed as another angry linux noob, I just felt needed to get that off my chest. I didn't really feel welcome here with all this MS bashing, considering it has worked for me, and I prefer Windows over Linux. Am I a retard because I don't know how to compile all this crap just to install a USB mouse? Dunno, just seems kinda shooting yourself in the foot with this anti MS attitude, when you will probably turn away some potential linux converts by the anti-ms vibe...
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackelPDW wrote:
And while their business practices may be angering to the competition, they are common tactics used in a capitalistic market. Killing a better product by marketing and cuthroat tactics is nothing new to our system(Sony BETA tapes anyone?).

True, but usually the companies that use such tactics are not monopolies. it would be 100% OK for a non-monopoly to use such tactics, but it would not be OK for a monopoly to use those tactics

Quote:
From the short time I have been here, and for the little amount my opinion will count to y'all, it would seem Linux will fail, or at least hobble along if they do not adapt to Microsoft, and then branch out.

What do you mean "adapt to Microsoft"? Linux and free software does it's best to co-exists with MS (Samba anyone?), it's MS that does it's best to not co-exist with Linux and free software.

And Linux is far from failing. It's the fastest growing server OS (the only OS who is increasing it's market-share), it's gaining more and more popularity on the desktop, it basically conquered the visual-workstation (think IL&M and the like) market in one year etc. etc.

Abd what do you mean "branch out"? You mean entering new markets? Well, Linux has so far entered servers, web-server, fileservers, firewalls, routers, PDA's, embedded devices, workstations, supercomputers and desktops. Do you have any additional markets in mind that Linux could "branch out" to?

Quote:
I have had such a nightmare trying to get a good word processor onot my Gentoo system. I have Office XP, but aparently Wine won't take that, so I'm stuck with two very sub par Office Suites.

What's wrong with OpenOffice or StarOffice?

Quote:
As much as people want to ignore it, MS has some of the best products on the market. If the Linux community won't make their stuff interoperable to MS's standards, then they will fail...

Uh, Linux community is doing it's best to be interoperable. If you want to blame someone for this, blame MS.

And I fail to see what those "best products" are.

Quote:
Then, you have missed valuable lessons from a computer company that made it's start just like Linux did...a bunch of computer programmers working out of their basement who had a good idea, and ran all the way into history with it.

Not really. Well, first product of MS was their own making, BASIC. But they bought DOS from another company and sold it as their own. Windows was basically a rip-off of Apple and Xerox GUI's. It's not like Bill Gates had an idea of an OS and he then proceeded to create it. Far from it.

And Linux-folks have learned from MS. MS crushed opposition by commoditizing software (besides monopolistic practices). Linux takes that commoditizing to the extreme. And now MS whines when someone competes against them using the means they themselves used.

Quote:
Dunno, just seems kinda shooting yourself in the foot with this anti MS attitude, when you will probably turn away some potential linux converts by the anti-ms vibe...

Well, after being repeatedly being screwed over by MS over the course of several years, can you REALLY be surprised if some people don't think they are the second coming of Jesus?
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do little M$ bashing but i don't like them because of their business practices and invasion of users privacy, the in-ability to delete your cache, the way they monitor everything you search for in M$ help.
plus if anybody has read the Windows XP Home EULA (spelt wright?) it restricts your hardware, something like only allowed 1 CPU and 10 external devices connected (printers and such). XP Pro allows 2 CPU's.

stuff like that

EDIT: spelling of EULA (thanks shimage)

Last edited by viperlin on Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
shimage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
What's wrong with OpenOffice or StarOffice?

How about, "It really, really, REALLY sucks!" That's the reason I try to avoid it at all costs. It's slower than Word, and it's interface needs some serious work.

But that's not all. It just plain old couldn't handle my thesis, and I needed it in Word format since 1) they wouldn't accept anything else, and 2) my proofreaders all used Word. Comments and change-tracking were buggily supported, and I couldn't get the style sheets to work right.

Lastly, I could not, in the admittedly short amount of time I spent trying, figure out how to insert MathType equations. What the hell use is it to insert equations into the document if no one else can see them?

Oh, and as a bonus, since I couldn't get a license for MS Office for the clinic computer (the one in the lab) I installed OpenOffice instead and it croaked on all the ppt files. It took minutes to render each slide, and this should NOT be a problem on a 1-year-old Dell.

In short, I tried and I tried and I tried to fool myself into thinking I could use OpenOffice, but it's just too crappy when you push the software. For small stuff it's ok, but that's it.

@viperlin: End User License Agreement :-)

edit: I'm not saying I don't hate MS (I do, for reasons already mentioned here), but I just don't think "Use StarOffice" is useful advice for some people (maybe just me...). If only the world would just wake up to the wonderful world of typesetting.
arand
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your frustrations with working trying to use Openoffice on "advanced" word documents. I have the same problem, I had to break down and just use a word machine.

One suggestion I have is to download the trial version of crossover office or win4lin. I have not used either product but from what I have read they do a pretty good job of allowing you to use MS applications in Linux.

I would definitly suggestion using the latest version of openoffice to try to open your word documents (current version 1.1rc2) if you are using a previous version.

My last couple of comments relate to openoffice, yes it is slow to start up, yes it does not always open word documents perfectly and yes the user interface is not nice. Once openoffice starts though it is working which is all I care about. Part of the reason that openoffice cannot open word documents perfectly is that MS has made those formats closed source so the Openoffice.org team have to reverse engineer those formats. I think they do a good job considering what they have to work with. There are options out there for improving the looks of openoffice, one I saw recently was posted in the forums here.

I agree lets get everyone to use latex and that would solve all of our problems. Completely cross platform, small files, works better than word or openoffice, what more needs to be said.

Well thats my opion for what it is worth.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTeX is not good [or good, depending on perspective] for the 1-font-per-line-maniacs. It enforces good style...

What LaTeX has:

Automatic TOC generation.
Semiautomatic Index generation.

Good for any novel or thesis. Not so good if you must include custom graphics every other page...

You people have done a good job of listing reasons to hate Microsoft.

But I think this page does a even better job of listing reasons: http://microsuck.com/content/whatsbad.shtml

Reason #1 on my list:
They do not ever say the whole truth. 99.999999% uptime for Windows 2003 Server? Yes, it is possible; only if you use no 3rd party software, run no services or use a cluster with load balancing. Microsoft is an innovator, you say? See here. http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml and http://dwheeler.com/innovation/microsoft.html and http://dwheeler.com/innovation/ They even produced falsified evidence in their antitrust suit!
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shimage wrote:
How about, "It really, really, REALLY sucks!" That's the reason I try to avoid it at all costs.

Constructive criticism right there

Quote:
It's slower than Word, and it's interface needs some serious work.

the latest version is order of magnitude faster than the older versions. And what exactly is wrong with the UI?

Quote:
But that's not all. It just plain old couldn't handle my thesis

I know of people who have used OO to write complex and long documents, including thesis.
Camoes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:

6) They killed DR-DOS by artifically making sure Windows (3.1) would not run on top of it. There was no real reason for it not to work, MS just made sure that Windows checked what version of DOS was running underneath. If it was DR-DOS, Windows would display memory-errors and behave erratically. In case you don't remember: DR-DOS was a competitor to MS-DOS. It was alot more advanced that MS-DOS on several areas. Thanks to MS, a superior product was killed in favour of mediocre product.

If i remember correctly, DR-DOS was not even a competitor of MS-DOS, it was the "original" DOS, and MS copied it and sold it to IBM as they searched a cheap OS for their new x86 architecture that was begining to conquer the desktops around the world.

Later MS copied the Windows-GUI idea from Apple, who were the first to have such an user-interface.

So basically MS power these days is based on stealing/coping ideas and concepts of other innovative firms combined with questionable practices (see netscape etc) to destroy their competitiors.

The only positive thing you can say about MS is, that they recognized the possiblities of the x86 architecture and put their bet on the right horse. Although it also may have been luck ;)

All these points above are enough to dislike MS even if you are not pro-OSS. If you are their are so many strong differences between the two philosophies, so that i dont want to name them all.
I guess the most obvious are:

1) Richard Stallman once compared software with recipies. The idea of OSS is to share the code to get better software, like you share your recipes and if some one improves your recipe by doing something better/adding new things to it everyone benefits from it and will use the new recipe if he likes it better.
MS in contrariy isnt interested in producing good software. No, they are interested in producing good enough software so that they can sell it. Short OSS worships good software, MS worships money.

2) OSS also implies some political/social consequences. Imo the most valuable ressources you have these days, are wisdom and knowledge. And what OSS actually does is pass the knowledge you gathered to really anyone who can understand your code. In some way this is some kind of (dont be shocked ;)) communsim as you pass your ressources freely to anyone. Imo this helps making the world a little bit better as underpriviledged people can benefit from the knowledge you gathered. I know this is a bit utopical, but nevertheless is like the idea.
MS once again is interested in the total opposite. They want everyone to be locked out from their code, as this is the thing they get their money from.

Sorry for the bad english, as it isnt my mother-language and i'm tired and sick, but i think you get the point
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camoes wrote:
The only positive thing you can say about MS is, that they recognized the possiblities of the x86 architecture and put their bet on the right horse. Although it also may have been luck ;)

It was luck. I mean, IBM contracted them to create an OS for the PC. The PC happened to use x86-chip. The rest is history
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattern of behavior is what does it for me.. they have repeatedly been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

I simply don't trust them.
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
they have repeatedly been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

Good one :lol:
FLUG member 473

Last edited by Diezel on Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Pattern of behavior is what does it for me.. they have repeatedly been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

more like with chunks of cookie round their mouth.
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why the hate for Microsoft? Reply with quote

JackelPDW wrote:
I was just wondering what is that little thing inside of y'alls brain that makes you so against MS?

People tend to not like aggressive and underhanded monopolies and/or entities that are categorically against their beliefs (such as the open source philosophy).
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont hate Microsoft, I just like Linux better. The fact that I get annoyed when I am in windows (especially at thier command line) has nothing to do with the fact that I dont like Microsoft, it has alot to do with the fact that I just like linux better
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf_Grey_ wrote:
I dont hate Microsoft, I just like Linux better. The fact that I get annoyed when I am in windows (especially at thier command line) has nothing to do with the fact that I dont like Microsoft, it has alot to do with the fact that I just like linux better

Microsoft and Linux are two different things.

Microsoft is a company, Linux is an operating system - mixing mistrust of the company and their product is a bad thing, Windows as such as a lot of good ideas. This isn't about which is the better OS, this is about Microsoft and why people dislike them.
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have clarified that however I am learning to type on a DVORAK keyboard amd I am trying to type as liitle as possible

What my point was, is that I dont use Microsofts products for reasons other than hating the company
Arthur Vandelay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you even have to ask the question...then you just don't get it and OSS is not for you.

Here's a hint: It's about the blue stuff on your flag JackelPDW.
shimage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
shimage wrote:
How about, "It really, really, REALLY sucks!" That's the reason I try to avoid it at all costs.

Constructive criticism right there

Quote:
It's slower than Word, and it's interface needs some serious work.

the latest version is order of magnitude faster than the older versions. And what exactly is wrong with the UI?

Quote:
But that's not all. It just plain old couldn't handle my thesis

I know of people who have used OO to write complex and long documents, including thesis.

You're not helping me, here; Mostly what I find irritating about the UI is that I can't find a lot of the things I want to change when I want to change them. Maybe this is my problem, maybe not. I thought UI design was supposed to make this sort of thing easy.

What about the other issues I pointed out? Telling me that other people have less problems than I do doesn't really make me feel better.

@arand: a long time ago I tried out Xandros, in the hopes that this would make the transition easier, so I did, in fact, end up using crossover office to write the thesis. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to install Debian packages on this system... I mean, the license should still be good for that, right?

I realize all the "issues" that OpenOffice.org has to deal with, and I applaud their efforts, but that doesn't mean that their product is something that I can use. The Physics community is pretty keen on LaTeX, though, so I don't think I'll ever have to dick around with Word format again; OO will probably suffice from now on.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: