[Guidelines] USE FLAGS ..too much/few ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blietaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: [Guidelines] USE FLAGS ..too much/few ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am used to come back and forth to/from the purple distro on regular basis.
Feeling *ubuntu's too 'windowesque', I love the idea of compiled Linux.
Plus, emerge is so nice and a good Linux forum/wiki/howto/community is only to be found around Gentoo.
But my idea is not to start the debate on distro :oops: : I just feel I am coming back in a Gentoo mood (Geez I _am_ an natural born optimizer) in the next days...and would like to keep it (not wasting my electrons/time once again)

So... why didn't I keep Gentoo on my machines so far :?:

Simply because one day or the other I manage to break it sadly. :(
(after +/- 4months)
How?
By adding one too many USE FLAG?
By unmasking the wrong package?
I don't know actually..
The thing is that one fine day I emerge -auDN my little world and it just won't.
Nor I will be able to add a new package thus...

So my question here is: what are the best guidelines to keep my house clean?
Shall I reduce the USE FLAGS ?
Shall I avoid trying to install masked packages?

I do understand Gentoo is a demanding distro you don't install to get rid of configuration tricks and tunings, but is it incompatible with stability somewhere?
I always end up using Debian which is the best balance between usability and stability and optimizing so far...
I just wish I could go a bit further on the optimizing direction with Gentoo...

Thank you for your advices!

Best regards,
Ben
hitachi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do have a lot of use flags and I don't see that this would lead to any problems. Also I sometimes do define use flags in /etc/portage/package.use for only one or two programs.
I would not run an all unstable system. But running some programs unstable is not a problem for the hole system. Maybe you should not run system programs unstable and NEVER emerge -avC programofthesystem.
Also you can create binary backups from your programs so you will be able to change back in any case.
Iced-Tux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you break your system, probably you tried to play with masked packages and their eventually masked dependencies.

I generally would NOT run a complet ~x86 system. Especially not on anything like libc or somthing similiar.
Try to focus on some apps you would like to be ~x86, like firefox or pidgin etc. Normaly all that can break then is just the app itself and thats quiet easily fixed ;)

As for USE flags: I am a believier in as less USE flags as possible in my make.conf. I like them nice and neat in package.use. But thats just my style :)

Greetings from the light side of the (OS-)force

iced-tux
blietaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, great!
Thank you for your answers!

Iced-Tux wrote:

If you break your system, probably you tried to play with masked packages and their eventually masked dependencies.

Correct.
I have to admit that it was probably that way (and only that one) I screwed up my gentoo experience.
Probably tried to follow a guru's advice in order to install a cutting-edge package (skype back at that time?)

Iced-Tux wrote:

I generally would NOT run a complet ~x86 system. Especially not on anything like libc or somthing similiar.

OK...but is it something I could end up doing without knowing? simply by following the documentation and the install book ?
Or is it the kind of thing that if done, you MEANT to do it?

Iced-Tux wrote:

Try to focus on some apps you would like to be ~x86, like firefox or pidgin etc.

Why/how would I like to do that? is it the default?
I am a bit confused here since I do download the "x86" of the install CD (I might be goofing here...ok, nothing to do with the Cd version?)

Iced-Tux wrote:

As for USE flags: I am a believier in as less USE flags as possible in my make.conf. I like them nice and neat in package.use.

I am not sure to get the exact difference...are we talking about same flags in two different files?

hitachi> "running a program unstable" is synonym of "unmasking a package" ?
If not, again, is it something I have to decide at install time?

BTW, I would be tempted to use the "Desktop" or "Multimedia" profile instead of the Default one...
Bad idea? what should I be prepared to encounter if I do so?
Iced-Tux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, great!
Thank you for your answers!

No problem ;)

Quote:
Iced-Tux wrote:

OK...but is it something I could end up doing without knowing? simply by following the documentation and the install book ?
Or is it the kind of thing that if done, you MEANT to do it?

You start with a x86 install aka stable, _most_ of the times ;). ~x86 are unstable packages. You can, although I would strongly advise against it, set your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". As a result you would have a system which is completly based on the "unstable" tree. Mind that I am not saying, the system is unstable, it is just the packages are not marked stable in portage.

Quote:
Iced-Tux wrote:

Try to focus on some apps you would like to be ~x86, like firefox or pidgin etc.

I am a bit confused here since I do download the "x86" of the install CD (I might be goofing here...ok, nothing to do with the Cd version?)

The default behaviour is x86, if not overridden in your make.conf
To unmask a package like firefox can be needed, if you would like to have, say Firefox3 when in portage Firefox2 is the only x86=stable marked version.
Or you need the bleeding edge version of package XYZ, because of some sorely missed features.

Quote:
Iced-Tux wrote:

As for USE flags: I am a believier in as less USE flags as possible in my make.conf. I like them nice and neat in package.use.

I am not sure to get the exact difference...are we talking about same flags in two different files?

You can define your USE flags globally => /etc/make.conf or per package => /etc/portage/package.use. For more info please refer to your next gentoo online documentation regarding USE flags ;)

Quote:
[BTW, I would be tempted to use the "Desktop" or "Multimedia" profile instead of the Default one...
Bad idea? what should I be prepared to encounter if I do so?

I would stick to the default profile. I am not sure but everything else is just some added USE flag *anyone can correct me at this ;)*

iced-tux
hitachi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blietaer wrote:

Iced-Tux wrote:

You can do that global like Iced-Tux said by setting it in you /etc/make.conf or locale just for some program by adding those programs to /etc/portage/package.keywords. Like mine for firefox is:
Quote:
=www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.0.1 ~amd64
=dev-libs/nss-3.12 ~amd64
=dev-libs/nspr-4.7.1 ~amd64

Also take a look at: http://gentoo-portage.com/ There you can search for programs and you also can see whether they are stable or not.
blietaer wrote:
hitachi> "running a program unstable" is synonym of "unmasking a package" ?

Yes I meant it like synonym.
blietaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it is now time to give a new go.

Thank you for your nice and pleasant way to suggest reading the documentation (sound better than thoses RTFM), Tux :wink:
It is very good advices and I will try it...

hitachi> thank you for the examples, it speaks by itself.
Iced-Tux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blietaer wrote:
OK, it is now time to give a new go.

Thank you for your nice and pleasant way to suggest reading the documentation (sound better than thoses RTFM), Tux :wink:
It is very good advices and I will try it...

Glad to have helped :)
So whatever way you take, like so often Linux is all about choice :)

And BTW this forum is a kind of documentation, so in a way you RTFM'd.

Greetings

iced-tux
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: