Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved][Gnome]Either I am terribly stupid...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: [Solved][Gnome]Either I am terribly stupid... Reply with quote

...or Gnome 2.22 is broken.

I just can't get automounting to work properly. In 2.18 and 2.20 everything was as I wanted it. I told fstab where I wanted things to be mounted and Gnome looked into fstab and did what I told it to do.

Now there was the upgrade to 2.22 and nothing is good anymore. I _did_ read the forums, gnome bugzilla and some other forums but to no avail.

Problem:

automounting for CDs only works if I comment out the line for /dev/cdrom in fstab (ok, now it works, but I don't like the idea)
automounting for usb memory sticks doesn't really work. If I plug in the stick before booting up, I will have the devices on my desktop and I can open them. If I unmount them thereafter and insert another memory stick it won't mount automatically. Also, if I insert my mp3player, which has 1GB of internal memory and a slot with a 2GB sd card it'll automount, but only the sd card.
Any ideas?
I tried and deactivated /apps/nautilus/media_automount in gconf and compiled g-v-m with USE="automount" -> does what I described above
Other way round: nautlius may automount, g-v-m USE="-automount" -> doesn't work properly, either

Apart from that to have "open as administrator" and "extract here" options back in the right-click menu would be nice, too. But that's a nuisance I can live with.
Now it's time for the harvest

Last edited by Clad in Sky on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
soka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: [Gnome]Either I am terribly stupid... Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
...or Gnome 2.22 is broken.

Apart from that to have "open as administrator" and "extract here" options back in the right-click menu would be nice, too. But that's a nuisance I can live with.

Make sure you have the nautilus use flag enabled for file-roller.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a few threads on this

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-705084.html

no, you're not stupid. gnome 2.22 just sucks.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for assuring me of my mental capabilities *g*.
Thx for the tip with file roller.

Juniper: Your link points to this thread? Accident or subtle humor?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, i meant

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-704222-highlight-.html
kierans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having the same problems with automounting which sucks major as I want to put some new tunes on my Ipod. But since I can't rip the CD or load the Ipod I'm an angry Gnome user :x.

Is there any word either from Gentoo devs or upstream Gnome devs about this getting fixed??
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my knowledge...
You can get the CD-issue solved at least.
Try emerging gnome-volume-manager with USE="automount" and switch off media_automount for nautilus via gconf (apps/nautilus/preferences).
Then put # in front of the line for /dev/cdrom (or whatever line refers to your cdrom) in /etc/fstab.
You could be lucky with your iPod, too. For me usb memories work when they're plugged in while booting.
That is no solution, but should help you to satisfy your musical needs.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved by upgrading kernel to 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 and commenting out the lines in fstab referring to my usb devices and CDrom.
I'm not too happy about the fstab "solution", though.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
Solved by upgrading kernel to 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 and commenting out the lines in fstab referring to my usb devices and CDrom.

what "solution" are you referring to? the "solution" of letting gvm and HAL do their thing and mount all your removable media/devices in a consistent manner without any user config necessary? that "solution"? you'd rather use hardcoded fstab entries for USB sticks? yeah right.

we are a long time past having to manually mount/umount cdrom drives (except for those people that prefer this method).

my gnome 2.22 desktop recognizes all of my USB devices without any issues. period.

camera.
ipod nano. (basically recognized as a flash drive).
thumb drive.
USB external HDD enclosure.

it mounts them to /media using the label for the volume it is mounting.

and by the way, you don't need to manually unmount USB sticks... again gvm is smarter then you are used to it being. the anti-gnome comments are lame and unnecessary, if you don't like it install something else and move on.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
Clad in Sky wrote:

what "solution" are you referring to? the "solution" of letting gvm and HAL do their thing and mount all your removable media/devices in a consistent manner without any user config necessary? that "solution"? you'd rather use hardcoded fstab entries for USB sticks? yeah right.

Indeed, I'd rather be able to tell gnome via fstab where I want stuff to be mounted. The way Gnome 2.20 did it was very nice, IMO. IF there was an entry in fstab it was used, if not, things were mounted to media.

Quote:

we are a long time past having to manually mount/umount cdrom drives (except for those people that prefer this method).

Agreed.

Quote:

my gnome 2.22 desktop recognizes all of my USB devices without any issues. period.

Mine, too. Now that I got it working. But see above

Quote:

camera.
ipod nano. (basically recognized as a flash drive).
thumb drive.
USB external HDD enclosure.

Yes, isn't that nice?

it mounts them to /media using the label for the volume it is mounting.

Quote:

and by the way, you don't need to manually unmount USB sticks... again gvm is smarter then you are used to it being.

It is? How can gvm know I'm about to pull out my usb stick?

Quote:

the anti-gnome comments are lame and unnecessary, if you don't like it install something else and move on.

[/quote]
You misunderstand me. These were no anti-gnome comments. I'm very pro gnome. They were anti-gnome 2.22 comments in the sense that I didn't like (but I can live with it) the new behaviour. I like Gnome as a whole very much. That's why I put a lot of effort into solving my problem instead of switching to KDE (which a lot of people are suggesting), XFCE, [insertnamehere]... or even offend the developers or whatever. I had my mind very fixed on the idea of keeping gnome and am happy that I can do so now.
But still I think that the solution of commenting out fstab is not really an elegant one. There are times when I'm not using gnome but a simple terminal and then I HAVE to manually mount my devices.
Apart from that I want to control my computer, not the other way round. (And now I'm actually controlled by it because I'm forced to comment out the lines in fstab).
Nevertheless, in all other respects I'm very content with Gnome and think the developers are doing a good job. But they shouldn't windowsize Gnome too much (the appearance is not the matter, that is very un-windowslike).
brant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(And now I'm actually controlled by it because I'm forced to comment out the lines in fstab).

http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/
kierans
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the release of Gnome 2.24 any idea if these automounting issues are fixed??

I'm wondering if I should downgrade to 2.20 for a while.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: