[UK] Gentoo on a CF
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: [UK] Gentoo on a CF Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking to build a Mini-ITX server for use with Asterisk but have a few questions :-

1) I presume I can use any sort of CF reader/writer eg. Sandisk Imagemate ?
2) Do I have to buy a certain type of CF card or could I use say a Sandisk Extreme IV ?
3) It is possible to use something like Qemu to test the CF boot image ? or do you have to install in the target hardware ?

Many thanks.
el-chaote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey uxbod, how is your project going? :D

Basically it doesn't really matter which card reader nor which CF you use... as long as your board (the bios, respectively) is able to boot from an usb device :D In my opinion, it will just have an influence on the read/write speed. I recently used a card reader from hama to boot from two different CFs (both from SanDisk, one an Extreme III, the other an ultra II) and it worked without any problems.

However, what do you mean with point 3? Do you already have an image and you want to test it? Or do you want to test your CF and card reader? For the latter, just use one of the thousands howtos on booting from an usb stick :D (eg. Slax )

Do you already have a Mini-ITX board in mind? At the moment I'm playing with an PC/104 board (x86 architecture) from MPI. It has an onboard CF socket using the PATA interface. There might be Mini-ITX boards with a similar solution, though i've not heard of it yet :D At least, there are IDE sockets available :D

Just ask if you have more questions ;)
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will probably get a VIA EPIA13000G board and this case http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10403 as it has a CF reader in the front.

With respect to point three I shall be building the image on my laptop, and it would be nice to be able to test the image without having to keep moving the CF between machines. If I could just point say QEMU as the CCF reader attached to my laptop and get it to boot that would be great.

Instead of CF may even look at something like this :- http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11279
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astlinux may be of interest? It is apparently built on a gentoo base.

Quote:
AstLinux is a custom Linux distribution centered around Asterisk, the Open Source PBX. Although Asterisk remains the core focus, other VoIP applications such as OpenSER are also available. AstLinux has many features that make it ideal for embedded and commercial Asterisk based solutions. However, it can be easily configured to adapt to nearly any situation.
AstLinux is available for multiple processor architectures. AstLinux has specific images for the SC1100 series of SBC's (single board computers), including those from Soekris Engineering and PC Engines. There are also images targeted for the exciting Gumstix SBC and the VIA line of mini-itx boards. The "generic" image runs on pretty much any standard PC.
AstLinux has been designed with running from Compact Flash memory in mind. However, it can also be installed to a regular hard drive like other distributions. AstLinux currently occupies around 40mb of disk space, so any Compact Flash card (or hard drive) of 64mb or larger will work perfectly.

If nothing else their mailing list may be able to help you with your own image
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but it has to much included in it. Want to build a streamlined Asterisk install with a hardened Gentoo install :)
el-chaote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend to install gentoo directly on your target hardware. Why do you want to build it on your notebook first? :?

Just to let you know, I've got some serious problems with the PATA interface on the board for my current project (the one mentioned before). I can boot from an SATA drive but not from an CF using the onboard socket and any recent kernel. As far as I know, there is a problem with a kernel update concerning the IDE management and libata3.0. However, it worked with a 2.6.18 kernel version and libata2.0 :S This is my interace:
Code:
blubb:~ # lspci | grep IDE
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller (rev 02)

I'm still trying to get any results :D
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I will be building other bits and pieces from source I don't want to clutter the CF with code :) I like to build in a separate environment and then copy over the binaries.
el-chaote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay :D but then you have to crosscompile for your target hardware... you know that? ;)
uxbod
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its X86 :) but have read the embedded wiki just in case ;)
el-chaote
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's x86 :D but your target system will certainly have some other compiler settings :D don't forget that :D

I still think it's better and easier to set up gentoo directly on the target system :D At least I would ;)
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el-chaote wrote:
Why do you want to build it on your notebook first? :?

Speed of the CPU alone should answer that question, right?

Anyway, how's both your projects going?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: