Install on Dell Studio Hybrid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franzh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Install on Dell Studio Hybrid Reply with quote

I just ordered a Dell Studio Hybrid. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Gentoo on those. They have an HDMI output, so I'm going to use it as a media center PC. I thought it would be fun to have Gentoo rather than Vista on it.

I'll post my experience once I get it in. But if someone could give me a preview that would be awesome.

EDIT **The Studio Hybrid will be delivered on Tuesday (Sept 2)** (seriously no one has tried it yet???)
noisierpants
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a gentoo install, but i saw this about a debian install on the studio 1535.

http://www.avalpa.com/assets/andrea/studio15/debian_on_dell_studio15.html
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzh,
any follow up to this? I'm thinking of ordering one of these, what was your experience?
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Install on Dell Studio Hybrid Reply with quote

franzh wrote:
I just ordered a Dell Studio Hybrid. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Gentoo on those. They have an HDMI output, so I'm going to use it as a media center PC. I thought it would be fun to have Gentoo rather than Vista on it.

I'll post my experience once I get it in. But if someone could give me a preview that would be awesome.

EDIT **The Studio Hybrid will be delivered on Tuesday (Sept 2)** (seriously no one has tried it yet???)

franzh,
I ordered two of these. They arrived last night but I have to buy a dvi-vga converter tomorrow. Have you already put Gentoo on yours? Any tips you can give out? I'll report back to this thread once I get started.
lookitsme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on the Hybrid install? Planning to buy one also atm... as media server and general desktop for my wife...

Any experiences are welcome...
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install went great I didn't run into any problems. All the hardware is supported out of the box by the basic gentoo-kernel, no proprietary drivers or patching are necessary. I used MAKEOPTS=3 and compilations fly! I'm using ~amd64 as my keyword and everything seems to be OK. Great little machine, I would recommend it to anyone.
lookitsme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Thanks Curtis, I think you pushed me over the edge... going to have a good look at the various config options Dell has to offer atm...

Jeroen
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it is a bad choice. I have one of these at work and I have run some tests on it. Sometimes gives problems with the network card.
hoacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one here and use it as a little home sever (gentoo amd64). No problems so far.
One thing: Couldn't get the wireless to work with ndiswrapper/vista drivers or native linux drivers. I use it with ndiswrapper and 64bit xp drivers for a dell laptop with a similar card.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
Personally, I think it is a bad choice. I have one of these at work and I have run some tests on it. Sometimes gives problems with the network card.

Really? I haven't had any problems with the network card. What sort of problems are you seeing?

hoacker wrote:
Got one here and use it as a little home sever (gentoo amd64). No problems so far.
One thing: Couldn't get the wireless to work with ndiswrapper/vista drivers or native linux drivers. I use it with ndiswrapper and 64bit xp drivers for a dell laptop with a similar card.

Mine doesn't have wireless, only ethernet. Did you get that as an extra? I got the basic one for $499 without any upgrades or options. The intel gpu can even play ET at low quality settings without a hiccup.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
Deathwing00 wrote:

Really? I haven't had any problems with the network card. What sort of problems are you seeing?

So far, I have seen many times the kernel booting and not detecting it or NetworkManager having trouble with it or even the DHCP client not working properly for that card. With newer kernel versions it will probably not happen any more, but so far so bad.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
curtis119 wrote:
Deathwing00 wrote:

So far, I have seen many times the kernel booting and not detecting it or NetworkManager having trouble with it or even the DHCP client not working properly for that card. With newer kernel versions it will probably not happen any more, but so far so bad.

Oh yes, the e1000 driver. They had problems with that but the latest Gentoo kernel has the corrected driver. I didn't get my hybrid until after the bugs in the driver were fixed so I didn't run into any problems.
hoacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="curtis119"]
Deathwing00 wrote:
hoacker wrote:

Mine doesn't have wireless, only ethernet. Did you get that as an extra? I got the basic one for $499 without any upgrades or options.

Mine is not the basic one, but the next higher offer (from Dell Germany). Wifi is include with this one.

curtis119 wrote:
The intel gpu can even play ET at low quality settings without a hiccup.

I didn't care about the graphics since the box it headless here...

curtis119 wrote:
Oh yes, the e1000 driver.

I use r8169 module with kernel 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 without problems.
Quote:
steward ~ # lspci
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
marduk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in to say that I acquired one a couple of weeks ago to use as a MythTV box. The only real problem I had was discovering that there are not Linux drivers for the wireless ethernet controller. Luckily I had a USB wireless ethernet controller hanging around so I'm using that.

The system is surprisingly quiet and responsive. I replaced a MSI Media Center PC. The MSI box was louder and ran super duper hot, even with power management enabled. The crappy fan didn't move air well in a TV cabinet-like environment. It eventually fell over... I think it overheated. The Hybrid is cool, quiet and more responsive.

I had to get a USB TV tuner. I got a used Hauppage one which so far performs fine (to my surprise). It comes with an infrared receiver but so far I have not configured it.

I used to have intermittent problems with the HDMI audio going in and out (and sometimes the video) but I think this was because the cable wasn't in all the way because I adjusted the cable a few days ago and haven't had the problem since.

I spent a few days trying to decide between the Studio Hybrid and the Mac Mini. I liked the fact that the Mini had an Nvidia video card, but actually so far I have had no problems with the Intel. I also liked the fact that the Mini had built-in Bluetooth and Wifi is standard (as it should be). The main things I didn't like about the Mini was the lack of native HDMI and general unfamiliarity with Apple hardware. Price-wise they are about the same (a similarly-configured Hybrid runs just a few bucks more IIRC).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: