View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Mozilla Tracemonkey Benchmarks Reply with quote

I've been testing the latest Webit-GTK for a few months now and have been very impressed with the Squirrelfish javascript engine's performance. If you haven't heard yet Mozilla has their own javascript performance enhancing engine in the works called Tracemonkey. I was interested in the claims made by Mozilla that Tracemonkey's perfromance leap frogged Squirrelfish so I made an ebuild to grab the latest xulrunner and put it to the test using Sunspider's benchmark program. Check out the results. Maybe someone else can do more Sunspider Benchmarks to confrim or deny my results.
uaeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be mistaken, but do you not need to compile firefox / xulrunner with PGO ( http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Building_with_Profile-Guided_Optimization ) in order to reap the benefits of javascript speedups in Firefox ? Does your ebuild incorperate this somehow and if so, would you be so kind as to share ? :)
ensignyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the JIT may not have x86-64 bit support enabled yet. I get the same results on x86-64 with and without the JIT option.
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensignyu wrote:
I think the JIT may not have x86-64 bit support enabled yet. I get the same results on x86-64 with and without the JIT option.

I hope that is the case because my results don't match up at all with what I've found elsewhere on the net.
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uaeb wrote:
I may be mistaken, but do you not need to compile firefox / xulrunner with PGO ( http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Building_with_Profile-Guided_Optimization ) in order to reap the benefits of javascript speedups in Firefox ? Does your ebuild incorperate this somehow and if so, would you be so kind as to share ? :)

I haven't heard that anywhere before. Can you post a link? I don't think it is necessary for Tracemonkey JIT but I will see if I can incorporate it into the ebuild. I'm also going to attempt to create a firefox_mercurial ebuild to go with xulrunner because you cannot use my xulrunner ebuild with a stable firefox although it does work with Epiphany.
uaeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
I haven't heard that anywhere before. Can you post a link? I don't think it is necessary for Tracemonkey JIT but I will see if I can incorporate it into the ebuild. I'm also going to attempt to create a firefox_mercurial ebuild to go with xulrunner because you cannot use my xulrunner ebuild with a stable firefox although it does work with Epiphany.

I can't speak of tracemonkey but I know that the official Firefox binary is compiled with PGO. See also:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=630298

Sunspider benchmark results:
http://cybernetnews.com/2008/02/25/firefox-3-performance-gets-a-boost/
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uaeb wrote:
Abraxas wrote:

I can't speak of tracemonkey but I know that the official Firefox binary is compiled with PGO. See also:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=630298

Sunspider benchmark results:
http://cybernetnews.com/2008/02/25/firefox-3-performance-gets-a-boost/

I cannot find any information confirming that official Firefox binaries are compiled with PGO. Where did you find that?
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
I cannot find any information confirming that official Firefox binaries are compiled with PGO. Where did you find that?

That's what I've heard as well, that it's PGO built, hence why source builds are sometimes slower than the standard binary.

Anyone found any automated way/ebuild capable way of either building PGO builds or building tracemonkey?

//edit, I'm an idiot, ebuild in the link from the original poster :P, without PGO as far as I can see though
uaeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I've been smoking out of the wrong pipe, but I could have sworn I read it somewhere.. but I can't seem to find it. My about:buildconfig ( I use binary ) doesn't suggest PGO, but perhaps it's only evident in the first run ?

Mozilla's build docs in their wiki are outdated ( 2006 & GCC 3.4.* ) so perhaps the best way to find out for sure would be to get in touch with the FF devs ?

FYI:

Code:

about:buildconfig

Build platform
target
i686-pc-linux-gnu

Build tools
Compiler    Version    Compiler flags

/tools/gcc/bin/gcc    gcc version 4.1.2 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-29)    -Wall -W -Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -W -Wno-long-long -pedantic -gstabs+ -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -pipe

/tools/gcc/bin/g++    gcc version 4.1.2 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-29)    -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -pedantic -gstabs+ -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe

Configure arguments
--enable-application=browser --enable-update-channel=release --enable-update-packaging --enable-optimize --disable-debug --disable-tests --enable-official-branding
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: