Using a Creative Zen with Amarok [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Using a Creative Zen with Amarok [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know how to use a Creative Zen PMP with Amarok? I can't find any information other than a page on the Amarok Wiki saying I have to be a member of the 'plugdev' group, which I am. I also installed the 'libmtp' package and compiled Amarok with the 'mtp' USE flag. I can't find any other information though. This same device worked automatically with Amarok in Kubuntu, so I know it's possible.

Edit: The device is showing up when I use lsusb, but when I try to autodetect devices in Amarok, I get this message:
Amarok wrote:
No new media devices were found. If you feel this is an error, ensure that the DBUS and HAL daemons are running and KDE was built with support for them. You can test this by running "dcop kded mediamanager fullList" in a Konsole window.
I do have DBUS and HAL, and they are both running. KDE was built with support for them as well, via the 'dbus' and 'hal' USE flags. The device does not show up when I use that command though. Do I need the 'dcop' USE flag?

Edit 2: Adding the 'dcop' USE flag did not affect any packages (found out by running emerge -uavDN world), so that's not it.

Thanks!

Last edited by srunni on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a creative zen and never managed to get it working with Amarok, apperantly there was something I had to enable in the kernel. Never tried it though, because I was using gnomad (is in portage). I know that amarok is much better than gnomad, well, at least it is something.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I installed Gnomad2 and it worked. But that's odd - if it works with Gnomad2, but not with Amarok, then it must be a problem with Amarok, right? Those kernel options would have to be present for either of them to work. Anyway, I'll just use Gnomad2 for now.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gnomad2 does not need kernel support as it has the needed drivers. But that would be a lucky gues.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know in which part of menuconfig I might find the necessary option by any chance? Because Amarok supports album art transfer, which Gnomad2 does not.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea... I just googled fast, may be this thread might help you:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43354
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: