Install on Macbook Pro 4.1 Intel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozewolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Install on Macbook Pro 4.1 Intel Reply with quote

Hi
I have installed Gentoo from the live cd-2008-amd-64bit & all went without a hitch until i went to boot
I have installed rIEFt on the macosx-10.5 & it boots to the options screen but displays the linux partition (40 gig ext3) as an unknown system & fails with no operating system present.
I presume I have no boot loader (grub?) as when I previously installed ubuntu I had the option of installing grub to the macosx-10.5 boot partition (I do not get this option with Gentoo)
How can i create the required boot loader on the mac partition? (nubee to linux) to boot into Gentoo :?
Appreciated
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please write the error more precisly? When you boot what do you get?
To me it sounds more like if you are missing support in the kernel for the specific partition type.
ozewolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

defenderBG wrote:
Can you please write the error more precisly? When you boot what do you get?
To me it sounds more like if you are missing support in the kernel for the specific partition type.

Thanks for the help
I boot the mac & get rEFIt boot screen with Apple & the os legacy system ICO (os_legacy.icns)
if i select the legacy ico get a command line saying (Missing Operating System) I can go no farther.
I have Blessed rEFIt also

I have run gentoo in virtualbox from this CD allbeit in a tiny window.
neunon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I installed Gentoo using the GPT partitioning scheme (easiest, though this may not be strictly necessary). When you install grub, you should install the boot sector to the MBR. It's kind of tricky to do the GPT partitioning because you want the MBR partitioning to see that you have a /boot partition at the exact same sector that the GPT table says it exists. Unfortunately, the GPT partition editor (parted) will overwrite the MBR and crap the table up. So you have to do some annoying trickery to copy the MBR to ramdisk (using 'dd'), use parted to set up your partitions, and then use dd to put the MBR back (Eugh).

Further, it's easy to get the GPT partition table out of sync with the MBR partition table. Using refit's GPT<->MBR sync tool works sometimes, but tends to break Boot Camp (it will say you can't return to the Mac-only partition scheme).

Another option which I don't remember trying is to simply boot a GPT-capable LiveCD, set up your partition tables with gparted or parted, commit them to disk, reboot, and use refit to sync MBR with GPT. This -might- get the MBR to be properly set to allow you to boot using the MBR boot sector.

Or, in short: It's kinda hairy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: