VFS Boot Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davejk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: VFS Boot Error Reply with quote

I am trying to install Gentoo 2008.0 on a VirtualBox vm. (Gentoo is listed as officially supported, so I don't think the vm is a problem) I followed all the instructions rather closely, mostly just copy and pasting commands. My partition set up is the same as the book's. I compiled the kernel manually, set Grub, and rebooted. Got the Grub screen, but choosing the default entry gives me a blank screen. I tried the rescue entry, which at least gave me the following output (after a few screens of normal boot messages; this is the only part that looked wrong to me):

Code:
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: insert root floppy and press ENTER

Please append a correct "root="  boot option; here are the available partitions

<list of ramx (driver?)>

<list of hda partitions>

Code:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

I think I did something in my kernel config that messed this up. I am relatively familiar with linux, but have only recently been getting into the kernel guts, and I have made some pretty dumb mistakes (my favorite is when I first booted into my manually configured Gentoo kernel (2006.0) for the first time. For a moment I was enraptured with the sense of freedom and accomplishment at my achievement... open source at it's finest.. it was beautiful...

A few moments later I hurriedly booted back into my genkernel and ran through menuconfig to enable HID support...)

Anyways, could someone give me a pointer here?

Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davejk,

Your kernel is missing the high level disc driver (SCSI or IDE), the low level driver (chipset), for whatever chipset the VM offers (not normally your real one) or the root filesystem driver, or possibly all three.

Run lspci inside the VM to know what you need. Post the output if it doesn't help you.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: