When are we gonna fix the online package database and the fo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: When are we gonna fix the online package database and the fo Reply with quote

The forum is full of issues, but is still the best place to find answers. Usually I have to use google to search and then sift thru to find forum results because
The forum search is useless, it reduces everything to a single word which returns to many results.
If it finds a result in a multipage thread, it goes to the 1st page and not the page the results are on. This is a joke, there are sometimes 100 pages in a thread.
It wouldn't even let me finish the Subject sentance above. Way to restrictive.

The On line package database was quick and easy to find and did what I needed before the crash. It has been a few years now, Either conceed defeat and change the link on gentoo . org to the others or fix the darn thing. It needs to be able to go to the next page and it MUST HAVE a search.

I still believe in gentoo, the concept works and the people are great, but these kind of simple things are distro killers.
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
Aquiles
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. It's not that I'm gonna switch to another distro because the search feature of the forums sucks or because of the online package database (after all you can pull all kind of info out of portage or www.gentoo-portage.com). But still it's apparent that these are important features that would be nice to have (working nice when it comes to the forums search, or just working when it comes to the online package database). I'm sure most of us can find our way arraund without these, but still it would be nice...
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: New comers and overall popularity Reply with quote

I think it will have long term negative effects as new users will not know what they are missing and turn away.

Overall popularity reduces fragmenting and keeps the momentum going. It needs to be fixed for the sake of all those people we can save. :-/

Ironically all of us know the alternate ways, and most of us are not on the forums like we once were. So new comers will get lost and move on if that intermediate group we all once were, dies off.
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_It wrote:
This can't really be blamed on the board maintainers, it's a long-standing issue with phpBB software. The search function has been crap for as long as I've been visiting phpBB-based forums. You can get slightly better results using the advanced search if you can narrow your criteria (eg only get results posted in the last x days) and search for posts, not topics, but I generally go with cyrillic's suggestion. Google is your... well, I wouldn't say friend, but a useful ally at times ;)

Here's a handy bookmarklet I made to search whatever site you're currently on. Save it as the address line in a new bookmark and click whenever you need it.
Code:
javascript:k=escape(prompt('Enter%20search%20terms%20for'+location.host));k=k.replace('%20','+');location.href='http://www.google.co.uk/search?q='+k+'+site%3A'+location.host;

Hope this helps 8)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Duplicate Threads, refer to topics "Gentoo forum search sucks", "Please consider a roadmap for switching to phpBB 3", "packages.gentoo.org", and "packages.gentoo.org alternatives".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: