View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Mythtv .21 Ready? Reply with quote

Hello,

There haven't been any upstream or local changes to Mythtv 0.21 for a while - is it ready? I realise a lot of people are using it so it would be good to know if it is solid.

I am guessing that it is considered stable even if it is not yet in the stable tree, simply due to priorities, so it would be good to get confirmation from those using it in "production".

Thanks,

Paul
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running mythtv-0.21_p17722 on my house system since mid August with no problems. Prior to that I was running mythtv-0.21_p16944 since April with no problems.

I see that media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p18116 is now in portage...I can't speak for that, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't solid as well.

Tom
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Was there any funkiness to be done with the upgrade from .20.x? Is it just a case of emerging over the top and all is well or do things need to be redone or prepped?
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koan wrote:
Thanks.

Was there any funkiness to be done with the upgrade from .20.x? Is it just a case of emerging over the top and all is well or do things need to be redone or prepped?

always, always, always, always back up your database completely when switching between any versions of myth because the schema will change, and upgrading is a one way street.
wesw02
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use 0.21 with no problems. As beandog said "backup your database", the upgrade app actually does it for you, but I cannot stress enough that you should do it your self before hand.

Here is the command (replace capitalized items with correct info ;)):
Code:

mysqldump -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASE_NAME > MythTV-Database.sql
flybynite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded last week. The new version works fine but there are some minor glitches but no show stoppers. For example, I've noticed a longish (just noticeable) delay to lirc key presses like these users

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/347546
or maybe this
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/348326

The gui stops responding to remote commands while its updating the screen shots on the media listing page for me (I have the live preview turned off). It may be because I've set the caps about 3 minutes into the HD recording but it didn't happen with the old version on my amd64 3200+. It's probably only half a second but it's annoying.

This seems to be a general lack of performance tweeks since on a remote frontend the program guide screen updates are really noticeably slower.
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the upgrade over the weekend finally. Everything looking good (mostly).

The problem I have is with LiveTV playback performance being dramatically worse than with 0.20. It was "wire speed" under 0.20, but with 0.21, it looks like it is running about 10fps.

This is the case on a frontend that is on the same box as the backend, and on a separate frontend. The separate frontend is a 3Ghz core duo, and both have a 7200GS nvidia card. Drivers are the 173.x series.

I have tried the various playback profiles, and cannot see any difference in performance with each one. The only log entries that I can see that might be relevant are:
Code:
2008-10-26 23:19:40.499 Realtime priority would require SUID as root.
2008-10-26 23:19:43.178 Video sync method can't support double framerate (refresh rate too low for bob deint)

The first is interesting. I am not sure if I had this working in the past, but my limits.conf has
Code:
mythtv - rtprio 50
and
Code:
mythtv - nice 0
and I am running pam-1.01. So I cannot see why this isn't happening (yes the mythfrontend runs under the mythtv user).

The second seems only to refer to the OpenGL video sync method, but turning that on and off doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone had the same experience?
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okeydoke.

A bit more playing with the playback profiles and this is now working. Basically I forced it to use xvmc and the frame rate was back to full speed...
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I did when I upgraded to 0.21 was to create a new custom playback profile with just one entry that mimicked what I had in 0.20, since that worked fine for me. It was something like: => 0 0 -> libmpeg2 -> xv-blit -> bobdeint. Sure enough it worked great. After that I started playing around with other custom profiles, but ultimately stuck with that. I created another profile just like that with ffmpeg instead. That actually uses a little more CPU than libmpeg2 but it supports closed captions in HDTV which libmpeg2 doesn't.

In my case (I'm watching nothing but OTA DTV...mostly HD) a simple one line profile is all I need. The deinterlacing will always get disabled for progressive content, and I don't need anything more dynamic than that. The default profiles are fine but can be way more complex than you might need, and it get get hard to determine exactly what myth ends up doing.

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 0.21 for some time now, and all seems well.

There is one problem not directly related to 0.21 itself, but to the kernel, and 0.20 and prior will have the same problem. There were some sort of changes made to the deprecated V4L-1 interface for the bttv driver. As a result, MythTV will no longer talk properly to my bttv card - it shows a green screen, and gobbles up hard disk space like nobody's business - all of it green. There is a patch to MythTV to make it use V4L-2 with bttv cards, and I'm happily running that. I don't have it in patch form - rather I edit each time I build. I'm under the impression that this is folded into the base for 0.22 and beyond. In the meantime, if 0.22 is nowhere near going stable, given that 0.21 isn't even stable yet, it would probably be a good idea to get my fix into patch format and up onto bugs.gentoo.org for incorporation.
BonesToo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[SOLVED] Turns out I had EIT enabled in mythtv-setup and that was causing the corruption. Fixed it by disabling EIT.

I've been running 0.21 for a while now and its been good, mostly. I'm running p18314 now and i'm seeing a weird problem with my listing data for 1 channel, 69-1 (KSWB-DT or Fox). I've got House setup to record tonight, but for some reason it keeps disappearing from my channel data.

This is what I know:
If I run mythfilldatabase --refresh-today -sourceid 2, let it finish then all my listing data is correct. I even see House in the listing and its set to record.
See screenshot: 691-correct.jpg

Then if I wait 9 mins, don't do anything with the backend or frontend then all the listing data gets screwed up for this one channel and House is no longer in the data so it isn't set to record anymore.
See error screenshot: 691-error.jpg

I think the mythbackend is doing some kind of post processing on the channel listings that's not working correctly. But there are no errors in the backend log file. Note this isn't a problem with mythweb, its the same via the frontend too. Was thinking about submitting a bug to mythtv but I don't have the time to track down all the info about this bug atm :/

And I can't seem to get portage to upgrade to p18812 even though its there, weird.

Last edited by BonesToo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
scarr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the reason p18812 hasn't been installed yet. It turns out the the ebuild uses the new EAPI2 portage, which only exists in the 2.2 version.

I am guessing once portage 2.2 is released then p18812 will be installable.
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running .21 .... the only problem I have is when I change between 2 particular channels I get video corruption. I then have to press "back" and "watch tv" to clear this. I happens with the bob x2 deinterlacer.
pholthau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also using .21* It's running fine (except for this).

The quality is really bad with my setup, but it's almost certainly not a version problem ;). Especially strong/bright colors like red or orange are flickering very much. Don't know whether it's a codec issue, signal quality (which is not that good) or the SVIDEO TV connection.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pholthau wrote:
The quality is really bad with my setup, but it's almost certainly not a version problem ;). Especially strong/bright colors like red or orange are flickering very much. Don't know whether it's a codec issue, signal quality (which is not that good) or the SVIDEO TV connection.

Have you tried viewing video through your capture card using some other program, like mplayer or xawtv? It might help you separate MythTV vs driver issues.
pholthau
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do that, maybe I can have a slightly better TV experience. But the living room TV also suffers from bad signal quality. :(
koan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found one "odd" thing about .21

Previously when I had two programs on the same channel back to back, then they would both record. I have a default of beginning recording three minutes before a program and 15 minutes after because of the atrocious scheduling where I am.

Under .20, all that would happen is the first recording would stop near the end, and the second recording would begin immediately. So to continue watching a show, I just needed to switch to the second show to catch the end of the first show.

Now it doesn't want to do this - if I have two shows back to back, only one is marked for recording, and the other in confict.

Can I override this (realise I can turn off the late finish and early start for back to back recordings, but if they get rescheduled, then I will missed parts of the show)?
BonesToo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to compile mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1 and get the following error. I even deleted all the content at /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/myth* before emerging, to make sure it checked out of svn without conflicts.

Code:

Checked out revision 18314.
 *    working copy: /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/mythtv/mythtv

* Applying mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch ...

* Failed Patch: mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch !
 *  ( /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch )
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1/temp/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch-4743.out

# cat /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1/temp/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch-4743.out
Code:

***** mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch *****

=======================================================

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p0 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch

patching file themes/default-wide/netflix-ui.xml
Hunk #1 FAILED at 267.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file themes/default-wide/netflix-ui.xml.rej

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p1 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch

can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: themes/default-wide/netflix-ui.xml
|===================================================================
|--- themes/default-wide/netflix-ui.xml (revision 14295)
|+++ themes/default-wide/netflix-ui.xml (revision 19046)
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p2 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch

1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p3 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch

missing header for unified diff at line 5 of patch
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND:   patch -p4 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtv/files/mythtv-0.21-mythflix-naming-collision.patch

missing header for unified diff at line 5 of patch
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
mbrehon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246430

I'm holding off for now cuz it is only an -r1 bump for me.

-M
eduardhc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koan wrote:
I have found one "odd" thing about .21

Previously when I had two programs on the same channel back to back, then they would both record. I have a default of beginning recording three minutes before a program and 15 minutes after because of the atrocious scheduling where I am.

Under .20, all that would happen is the first recording would stop near the end, and the second recording would begin immediately. So to continue watching a show, I just needed to switch to the second show to catch the end of the first show.

Now it doesn't want to do this - if I have two shows back to back, only one is marked for recording, and the other in confict.

Can I override this (realise I can turn off the late finish and early start for back to back recordings, but if they get rescheduled, then I will missed parts of the show)?

This has always worked this way when using per-program record post / pre roll time (I mean those you specify when scheduling a show). The MythTV scheduler is not smart enough when dealing with the potential overlapping caused by them and so it marks a "conflict" the second recording.

This is not the case when using the "global" times, these are handled correctly. You can configure them (IIRC...) through mythtv-setup, or else directly by checking "RecordPreRoll" and "RecordOverTime" values in SETTINGS table.

Regards,
Eduard
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently still running a patched version of mythtv-0.21_p17722 in an overlay (that version has sence been removed from portage), and am using it with the newest portage version of mythvideo (media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17595).

I see that the patching issue with mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1 has been fixed. Does anyone know if media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17595 is compatible with mythtv-0.21_p18314-r1?

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to my own question, I just tried it and it is.

Tom
maris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running 0.21_p18314(-r1) since October 2 without any problems. I would consider it stable, but I'm mainly using the core features, like Live TV and recordings.
BonesToo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=236182
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you have issues with upgrading the database? I can't upgrade the db :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: