View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfotis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: I can see half of my desktop! Reply with quote

Yes that's true, I can see only the top and the bottom of my desktop. The rest is covered by a green rectangle, which I don't know how to kick out!
I believe that it has something to do with mplayer. It appeared first when I emerged kmplayer and after I had watched a movie in console mode using the svga driver.
I cannot get a log file because I cannot see anything.
Let me give you a hint: When I give startx,
(I use nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx) the nvidia logo turns into a pink rectangle and the rest is white. Then when KDE starts, I see normal blue from top and bottom of my desktop, but the center is covered with some darker blue vertical lines. Then, a green rectangle appears and covers most of my desktop.
What can I do and who can I blame?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all do you have any strange visual anomolies when at a terminal (tty)? Meaning just in text mode. If not then you can certainly check logs from there, and also do basic troubleshooting. Besides if you have visual anomolies there I would say you are certainly looking at a hardware problem -- not software.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Janne Pikkarainen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when I upgraded CPU from Duron to Athlon Thunderbird. For some reason VIA KT133A didn't like the TB 1,4 GHz + Gainward GeForce3 Ti-500 combination when AGP 4X was turned on. When I downgraded to AGP 1x from BIOS, X started to work.

After a BIOS update, X started to work with 4X enabled, too.

I think in my case I could've been solve my problem by experimenting with different kind of AGP Drive Strength values, but I wasn't brave enough. I don't have a spare PCI display adapter in case the AGP DS tuning would've mess up something very badly, so the whole thing had a potential to became a real disaster.

[Edit: Added a mention about AGP Drive Strength]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: