Some more installation questions...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braxas26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Some more installation questions... Reply with quote

Starting the day off with some more Gentoo installation questions. Started off pretty good so far I think, after some initial glitches and having to restart the install a few times because of those glitches and getting the hard drives partitioned properly. Anyway, here it goes:

I'm assuming it's normal that when you do the chroot command in the install process before bootstrapping it's normal to lose the ability to see the cd-rom drive. This boggled me for a bit because I also lost the ability to view my install.txt file with less at the same time. I finally ended up writing the information down quite a few steps ahead and got the bootstrap portion done as well as starting up emerge system today before leaving for work.

Now my next set of questions are. I noticed that it appears that scripts/bootstrap.sh builds the GCC portion of the system but what does emerge system actuall do? I didn't have time to sit around and watch it run so couldn't really tell - I just stuck around long enough to make sure that it started properly and didn't start erroring out on me.

With those questions asked after I get home and have emerge system done (hopefully) running will I be able to access less /install.txt again like I did before I ran chroot? I know I'll need to configure my boot loader next (I believe that'll be the next step) and hopefully afterwards I'll have bootable linux system again.

I was also wondering what exactly chroot does? Kind of a newbie to some of the linux terminology but I learn fairly quick and am sure I'll have more questions to come. I'm loving Gentoo so far, I feel like I'm actually learning about linux instead of dropping on XandrOS, Red Hat, or Mandrake and going, "Uh, neat, ok... what next?". I learned from my mistakes last night and got the system to begin installing so I don't think that's to bad for some one pretty new to *nix systems.

Thanks all for your help and being there. :)
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have copied install.txt to the mounted partion. :)
And emerge is the command used to ftesch and install programs from the Portage. This is the best thing about Gentoo in my opinion, it's easy to manage and has all the apps I need.
When you get home, type exit to exit the chroot system. Then copy install.txt to /mnt/gentoo. After that just do the chroot part again. To get in to "your" system. This way you will have the instructions at hand.

Have fun
FLUG member 473
Braxas26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks Mahellma that is what I was looking for in regards of getting the installation.txt back. Will do that when I get home tonight - can't wait to get it up and running.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: