My installs root password is auto-scrambled
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: My installs root password is auto-scrambled Reply with quote

Hi, I used 2 live cd's recently to use tar/ssh combo to clone a system. After I was done, I now get my new box'es root password autoscrambled every time I boot. I am no longer bootingup with the live cd, but my system insists on auto-scrambling my root every time! This is on the /dev/sda disk, not the live cd. Im puzzled as to how to stop this.
Always thirsting.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autofonfig somehow got enabled at boot up, which called pwgen. I stopped them from rc-update and no longer does my root pw get recycled each boot.
Always thirsting.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually set your root password before restarting the system after installation?
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mistake when I copied the files from the original drive to a destination drive using a live CD on both ends.

I had used 2 live cd's and imaged over the wire. At some point I moved files from the /etc on the live cd over to the destination drive, not from the image. I realized this and then copied all the files from the original disk, but did not wipe and start over the destination drive. As a result, several files not existing on the original disk were now added to the destination. Including autoconfig and pwgen. So when I tried to boot up my new drive I inadvertently had a few configs left over from the live CD copy and this caused me to get a MOTD from the live CD and my root pw would scramble!

After removing the autoconfig service and fixing my motd the host came up. I imagine there are other files that are there too, but the system actually works now. The cool part was it was just a test scenario to see if I could image a physical box into a vmware ESX host via live CD's. We have one prod server that wont image using normal tools such as vmware converter or acronis. Other gentoo hosts went fine, but this server was an old host and there was a snafu in the mirror set and drive geometry on the pysical box that causes problems.
Always thirsting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: