[solved] framebuffer (kernel options vga) resolution fail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youwin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: [solved] framebuffer (kernel options vga) resolution fail Reply with quote

I just installed gentoo, and now i want to get my console to be at a higher resolution but the vga or video options to the kernel statement in grub arent working.

Ive recompiled my kernel a few times (all i do is make menuconfig, edit, save, make, cp to boot, and reboot computer right? so long as no new modules are made) with a few framebuffer options but im just tweaking things in the dark, i dont know what im doing.

heres the line in grub.conf that matters:

Code:
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda3 video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768-32@85

ive tried many other options for the video options including

Code:
vga=0x318 video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap

the resolution now looks like 640x480

Ive tried following this site for installation instructions on uvesafb http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/ but it didnt work (I reconfigured the kernel, emerged klibc and v86d). On that page it said that /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes had all the available resolutuions for your framebuffer. My file has in it one line: U:640x480p-59, how do i get this to list more resolutions? also there are other directories other than fb0, fb1 and fb2, and the modes file in those directories has a more reasonable line in it. Can I use this fb1 directory?

EDIT: someone on IRC gave me the link: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Framebuffer_Support, and while it was very similar to the instructions on the http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/ site but a little bit more verbose and it worked, I had to make sure some options were correctly configured in my kernel which I swore they were, but i guess the second try worked.

EDIT: my problem is not solved, now it doesnt matter what i put in as a resolution it is always going to what looks like 1280x1024 i want this thing versatile enough to change to some other resolutions 1024x768 at least. Its good where it is but I really want this to work. thanks.

EDIT: I suspect the following lines from my dmesg may give a clue as to whats going wrong:

Code:
uvesafb: monitor limits: vf =160 Hz, hf = 85 kHz, clk = 190 MHz
uvesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=24576
uvesafb: cannot reserve video memory at 0xe0000000
uvesafb: probe of uvesafb.0 failed with error -5

anyone know what error -5 is? or how to fix this? thanks.

EDIT: ok, when i was trying all sorts of things to get my framebuffering to work, i went buck-wild with the options in

Code:
Device Drivers --->
    Graphics Support --->
         support for frame buffer devices ---> *

enabling everything built in except for the experimental stuff. I changed it so that only the following are enabled:

Code:
 [*] enable firmware EDID
-*- enable video mode handling helpers
[*] enable Tile Blitting Support
<*> VGA 16-color graphics support
<*> Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[*] VESA VGA graphics support

nothing else and I was now able to set my framebuffer to many different resolutions with

Code:
video=uvesafb:1280x1024,mtrr:3,ywrap
video=uvesafb:1024x768,mtrr:3,ywrap
video=uvesafb:800x600,mtrr:3,ywrap

the dmesg no longer has the line

Code:
uvesafb: probe of uvesafb.0 failed with error -5

and now has

Code:
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, mapped to 0xf8d80000, using 24576k, total 131072k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device

so i guess everything worked out, thanks.

Last edited by youwin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: [solved] framebuffer etc Reply with quote

you can put [solved] in the subject line so people know you no longer need help without having to read through your posts
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: