Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Headphones do not work (Sound coming from speakers)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Headphones do not work (Sound coming from speakers) Reply with quote

I keep having a problem with my headphones (Any set I try)

I've got a HP Pavillion DV9700 laptop, and installed gentoo on it, however, when I plug in any headphones, the sound from the speakers goes quiet, and there is no sound in the headphones. If I raise or lower the volume, or mute/unmute, the sound goes back to the speakers (even if the headphones are in)

I have no idea how to track this problem , and haven't found anything via the forum search
kiksen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Sounds like your sound driver is incorrect somehow. What driver did you select and what sound card is in your laptop? Could you post the output of lscpi here?

/kiksen
barophobia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hardware have a software headphone jack mute. Check alsamixer to see if that channel is muted. Search google for more info on your hardware.
ursusca
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't alone with such problem. HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebooks, Dell D630, Dell Inspiron 1520, Dell Inspiron 1720,HP Pavilion DV 9000, Dell Precision M6300, Dell Vostro 1700, Zepto znote 6625WD, Acer TravelMate 6292, Dell vostro 1400 have the same problem. I think you must recompile your kernel (Device Drivers/Sound/Advanced Linux Sound Architecture/Generic devices).
techcode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another problem with phones jack on my laptop (MSI EX610) and upgrading ALSA sorted it out. It's caused by older version of snd-hda-intel driver (yeah Intel driver for ATI sound chip - go figure). Plugging in mu phones would not turn off the speakers.

You also need to configure the driver for your chipset as auto sensing might not work.

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Resolve_Problems_with_HDA-Intel_Sound_Cards

PS I'm assuming that your computer indeed has ATI chipset or otherwise other chipset supported with snd-hda-intel driver. Somehow I recall Pavilion in that context.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: