xmodmap tutorial for dummies
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: xmodmap tutorial for dummies Reply with quote

Hi, I need a tutorial for xmodmap. My language is Afrikaans and I want to use the compose key method but assign it to more than just 2 additional keys. For example: I would like to create characters based on their ascii code using the numpad. Now I know one can assign the Multi_key to the windows key as a compose key and then you can do compose+^+e to get ê. This is great for somebody that comes from a Linux back ground, but most of my users comes from Windows back grounds and require a "stable" environment. I also don't want to lose my Windows key because I need it when I use rdesktop to a windows machine.

I'm also having difficulty getting the alt+numpad to work via rdesktop.

my locale:
Code:
LANG=af_ZA.utf-8
LC_CTYPE="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_NUMERIC="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_TIME="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_COLLATE="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_MONETARY="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_MESSAGES="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_PAPER="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_NAME="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_ADDRESS="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="af_ZA.utf-8"
LC_ALL=af_ZA.utf-8
rodoke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you don't have to map <Compose> to <Windows>. I, myself, use <Menu>, that even more useless key located between the right-hand <Ctrl> and <Windows> keys.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of any software that does what you ask. I doubt xmodmap alone could do help you there. I did find a utility that'll emulate <Compose> in Windows. So you might want to consider going the other way with this: teaching people to use <Compose> and then making that universal.
chub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodoke wrote:
So you might want to consider going the other way with this: teaching people to use <Compose> and then making that universal.

LOL :lol:

Well I had it working on Redhat 5, back in the day with xmodmap and Xfree86, so I know it was possible. If the xmodmap manual was a bit more tutorial like it would have helped. What does .XCompose do, does that allow you to create your own compose combinations? Is it possible to allow the alt key to do additional functions like the compose key, or should I be looking at something else? Or should I rather ask what does Multi_key, Compose_Key, Super_key mean, some of those are explained on wikipedia, but none that goes into detail on how to actually create useful rules.

What does the modifier do, and why do you get mod1 to mod5 when you type xmodmap -pm?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: