View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franzrogar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: New installment: which DM choose for laptops? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

As I pointed here, I'm going to have (probably after tomorrow) a 64bits Core2 Duo T2390 w/ 2GB RAM and Intel X3100 256MB SMA.

I've always been a GNOME user (but KDE4 seems to be another DE to take care of in a near future), but in a laptop, I don't want wasting too much resources, so I started to look at alternative Desktops/DM for it. I have some doubts about which one to pick up: DR17 or XFCE. What I want is to use one of those and install GTK+ and Qt libs (not GNOME and KDE...) only. I know DR17 is under heavy development but I don't know what its current status is in a daily use (if it doesn't use to crash, if it freezes...) so I can't compare it against XFCE. Also, I don't know if any of those have known problems with x86-64...

So my questions can be listed in:
- Daily-basis: DR17 or XFCE
- Stability: DR17 or XFCE
- No blocking issues: DR17 or XFCE
- 64bits compatibility: DR17 or XFCE
- HD space needed: DR17 or XFCE

I'm going to use some 3D capabitilies with the desktop: i.e. Compiz or Metisse. But I'm not going to use great (CPU intensive) visual effects, only basic ones (cube, rotate, enhanced switcher, lens...). So which one do you think would be less agressive with a laptop: XFCE+Compiz or DR17 (buil-in 3D effects)?

So, I'd be grateful if someone could say/inform/point me to docs/etc. that could clarify my thoughts.

Any way, thanks in advance, and sorry for these headaches :)

EDIT: Sorry, I posted it on the wrong forum. Please, could any mod move it onto Desktops subforum? Sorry for problems.

Last edited by franzrogar on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try them all. Keep the one(s) you like best. My favorite is Fvwm and I also like KDE/Openbox. Most people use KDE and Gnome. XFCE4 and Fluxbox are also very popular.

I think the most resource friendly window manager is aixwm. :D

Here are a bunch of desktop related docs: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop
And the wiki has a bunch of HOWTOs about WM/DEs: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely that a version which fails on x86-64 would receive a stable amd64 keyword. It might not even get ~amd64, depending on its stability.

Similarly, if there are serious stability issues, I would expect there to be an upstream bug entry about it, and possibly Gentoo bug reports about it as well.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments as it is a desktop-related question, and per user request.
franzrogar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
Try them all. Keep the one(s) you like best. My favorite is Fvwm and I also like KDE/Openbox. Most people use KDE and Gnome. XFCE4 and Fluxbox are also very popular. I think the most resource friendly window manager is aixwm. :D
Here are a bunch of desktop related docs: Gentoo docs
And the wiki has a bunch of HOWTOs about WM/DEs: Gentoo Wiki

Thank you very much. It took me some time to realize that aixwm is AIX X-Windows :lol: . I think I'll not use aixwm... too auwful but very resource friendly, but there're no so much differencies with FVWM2.

Hu wrote:
It is unlikely that a version which fails on x86-64 would receive a stable amd64 keyword. It might not even get ~amd64, depending on its stability. Similarly, if there are serious stability issues, I would expect there to be an upstream bug entry about it, and possibly Gentoo bug reports about it as well.

Ok, thank you very much for explainin' keywords (this' goin' to be my first Gentoo installment :) ). And of course, I want (and will) help on amd64 arch as much as I can (even bug-hunting if neccesary) but first I need to get it working :wink: and understand gentoo internals.

kalos wrote:
Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments as it is a desktop-related question, and per user request.

Thank you very much and sorry for troubles. I'll never post in the wrong forum again! I promise :oops: (or at least I'll try to :roll: )

So I'll try these ones:
- DR17
- FVWM2+Compiz
- XFCE4+Compiz

Thank you very much for info :)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend XFce. But you'd best try them both/all and see which one you like best. You might also want to look at LXDE (currently in the lxde overlay, but I hope to get it into portage by the end of the week), which is an even lighter desktop environment, using GTK+.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: