mplayer and MPEG-PS encoding problem workaround
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: mplayer and MPEG-PS encoding problem workaround Reply with quote

I have found that that when I use mplayer to create avi files using the -dumpstream command, it has trouble with MPEG-PS DVDs. After a simple dumpstream or a mencoder -ovc copy, the header reports a corrupted video codec.

on an identify, the video line of the original dvd comes out as:
Code:

VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 3)  25.000 fps  7700.0 kbps (962.5 kbyte/s)

Say I dumpstream the to a file test.avi. When I get the details of that file with mplayer -identify, the video line looks like:

Code:

VIDEO:  []  720x576  24bpp  25.000 fps  6320.4 kbps (771.5 kbyte/s)

Note the codec is just an unreadable character. Also note the difference in bitrate even on a dumpstream or a mencoder copy. These files play fine in mplayer, but when trying to play them in vlc, the video won't work.

The workaround for this is to open the avi file in a hex editor and changing the last 4 bytes of line x00b0 to 6d 70 67 32 (mpg2 on the text side). Once the file is saved with the new values, the codec in the header is changed to mpeg2. Why mplayer fails to put the proper codec in the header is up for discussion.

The next thing to do is to find a hex editor that is command line so I can script this. Anyone know of one? I'm new to hex editing so i'm just using khexeditor.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone other than myself. I've had several DVDs that acted this way (mostly European or Australian).
MotivatedTea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion for scripting it: Create a file that contains just the correct four-byte header, and use the "dd" command to copy the contents of the file to the desired offset in the dumped file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: