License for Gentoo Linux XML
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: License for Gentoo Linux XML Reply with quote

Hi,

I just read the Gentoo Linux XML Guide and I was wondering if people could use the guide.xsl (and modify it) to use it for their own project (eg. not related to Gentoo or ever Linux)? I didn't found anything about it in the guide itself (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml). There is a "Copyright 2001-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc." on every docpage, but I think that applies on the content of it...

I guess the developers would encourage other to also use their doc technology, but I can't find anything official :(...

greetings,
cobnet
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this too.

None of this is Gentoo's technology though, the only part that belongs to Gentoo is the guide.xsl stylesheet.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just send a mail to Daniel Robbins (drobbins@gentoo.org)? AFAIK he is in charge of Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We currently do not license the use of guide.xsl which essentially defines the look and feel of the gentoo.org web site. The look and feel of gentoo.org, as well as the stylized "G" gentoo logo are copyrighted and not licensed for use by third parties.

--kurt
cobnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
We currently do not license the use of guide.xsl which essentially defines the look and feel of the gentoo.org web site. The look and feel of gentoo.org, as well as the stylized "G" gentoo logo are copyrighted and not licensed for use by third parties.

Okay, thx for the info :). But it is still a blurry boundary between "the use of the guide.xsl" and "the look of gentoo.org" ;). But I get your point.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, remember, you can't copyright ideas - or have you gone to the patent office already?
cobnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
But, remember, you can't copyright ideas - or have you gone to the patent office already?

No no :). I would like to use the stylesheet (actually a hacked version of it) for the documention of the MoviX project (http://movix.sf.net): http://users.pandora.be/cobnet/Werkmap/MoviX/doc/en/eMoviX-use.html
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
--kurt

Who is "we"? Daniel Robbins gave his permission to everyone to use guide.xsl as the basis of their websites.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: