VMware Workstation 6.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: VMware Workstation 6.5 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to get an XP virtual machine running in VMware Workstation 6.5, but I'm having problems configuring the network adapter. I'm getting this error when I try to start it:
Code:
Could not open /dev/vmnet0: No such file or directory. Failed to connect virtual device Ethernet0.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I have modprobed vmmon, vmci, and vmnet, but it has not helped.

Thanks!
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install Vmware Workstation 6.5? There are no valid e-builds that I know of to install it. I had to just use their installer to do it. What sort of networking did you choose in the configuraton gui?
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just manually installed it, using the provided shell script. I chose bridged networking.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had the same issues....the vmmon kernel module isn't loaded (actually, I suspect none of them are loaded). You have to start vmware services, which load the modules. Since, like me, you had to install outside of the normal Gentoo system, you'll need to provide your own init script to start them when you reboot. Try this:

/etc/vmware/init.d/vmware start

or

/etc/vmware/init.d/vmware restart
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tried starting /etc/init.d/vmware.d/vmware, and I got
Code:
Starting VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                            failed
   Virtual machine communication interface                             done
   Blocking file system                                                done
   Virtual ethernet                                                   failed

Any way to debug this? It doesn't give any other output.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that was attempting to insert the vmware modules. dmesg should show you any errors that where encountered. Also, what kernel sources and version are you using?
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this was very odd. I did /etc/init.d/vmware.d/vmware start, which didn't result in any change in dmesg output. Then I tried /etc/init.d/vmware.d/vmware restart, which showed the services stopping. Then I ran restart again, and it complained in dmesg about the vmci and vmmon modules, which I have in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (along with vmnet). So I modprobed vmci and vmmon, and then ran /etc/init.d/vmware.d/restart, and it successfully started the ethernet service. Now the ethernet works. Note that this happened after restarting last night, so that may have affected it.

I'm running gentoo-sources 2.6.25-r8 (the latest stable version).
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...ok, the kernel isn't the problem...I am running the exact same version as you. First, I would remove the modules from modules.autoload.d and start the vmware services and let them load the modules. The vmware initialization services are pretty complicated...so I just wrote a simple init script to call the vmware scripts and have never had a problem. And yes, the restart may have affected it as well....here's a simple init script I wrote if you want to try it (again, you have to take the modules out of modules.autoconf.d or they will conflict while loading...I you want to try this, make sure and run rc-update to add the new vmware service to the default runlevel on start and stop:

Code:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2008 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

depend() {
        echo ""
}

start() {
        /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware start
}

stop() {
        /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware stop
}

restart() {
        /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware restart
}
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering why there is no ebuild for VMWare Workstation 6.5 in any repo, neither in Gentoo's portage tree nor in any overlay? Well, I did not check all overlays though. It looks like as if there was an ebuild but it had been removed. Can anyone shed some light on this?
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
I was wondering why there is no ebuild for VMWare Workstation 6.5 in any repo, neither in Gentoo's portage tree nor in any overlay? Well, I did not check all overlays though. It looks like as if there was an ebuild but it had been removed. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It seems that the since the 6.5 betas, installation is not so easy for unsupported distros, and it will take a while before the ebuilds can be made to work. bug

I guess the ebuilds will hit the vmware overlay before the main tree, but right now there are no working ebuilds.
skutnar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.5 was put into the VMware overlay sometime on 10/15
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skutnar wrote:
6.5 was put into the VMware overlay sometime on 10/15

Sorry, but that one is old and does not exist anymore...it's an old beta that has been removed from the mirrors and the vmware site itself. VMware does not support tarballs with WS 6.5. The current release is now in 'bundle' format, which was appearently designed to prevent vmware installation in any way, except by using the vmware graphical installer...where it will just dump binaries wherever vmware sees fit....it is a package that requires extensive reverse engineering to install via portage. Mike Auty (and several others) deserve a lot of credit an our grateful thanks for amazing work the have been doing to get this version in the vmware overlay. But it is a grueling task. So no, the only way to install vmware-workstation 6.5 at this point in time, is via the native vmware installer..but progress is being made on a portage compatible version...just hold your breath and let those who are trying their best, work on it undisturbed:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232230
skutnar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was incorrect... Mike Auty only added some of the files that will be used for 6.5. I didn't look closely until just a few minutes ago, wondering why my emerge -auvD world didn't pull in the update from the overlay. I'm CC'd on that bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: