View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RemcoNL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I dislike most is installing Gentoo! Not the general installation, not the fact that it takes a while to compile and stuff, but the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working, my display backlight dimming, my touchpad, my powermanagement, etc.!
I still love Gentoo, and it is my favourite distribution, so I keep on using it, but installing a new laptop took me a week! Once installed and everything is working, Gentoo works the best!
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my new box, it took me 6h38 to have a working KDE 3.5.9 with all my programs :P

It's awesome to have a Quad Core.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoNL wrote:
The thing I dislike most is installing Gentoo! Not the general installation, not the fact that it takes a while to compile and stuff, but the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working, my display backlight dimming, my touchpad, my powermanagement, etc.!
I still love Gentoo, and it is my favourite distribution, so I keep on using it, but installing a new laptop took me a week! Once installed and everything is working, Gentoo works the best!

This is my favorite part :) After it is done, I getting bored with my laptop
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working, my display backlight dimming, my touchpad, my powermanagement

I second that.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoNL wrote:
The thing I dislike most is installing Gentoo! Not the general installation, not the fact that it takes a while to compile and stuff, but the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working,

Still trying to get the volume buttons working through lineakd. They work, but every time I open a terminal, lineakd spits out a scroll off error messages, repeatedly asking if we should quit now, maybe? :P
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working, my display backlight dimming, my touchpad, my powermanagement

I second that.

Until these things get fixed upstream, they will not work out-of-the-box in Gentoo. Gentoo follows upstream; it is not a distro for the optimal end-user experience with corporate maintainers juggling hundreds of laptop-specific patches. Ubuntu and Novell do well in this area.

The Gentoo docs and forums provide documentation for making stuff work -- they will not "just work."
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
RemcoNL wrote:
The thing I dislike most is installing Gentoo! Not the general installation, not the fact that it takes a while to compile and stuff, but the fact that it is so much work to figure out how to get my volume buttons working,

Still trying to get the volume buttons working through lineakd. They work, but every time I open a terminal, lineakd spits out a scroll off error messages, repeatedly asking if we should quit now, maybe? :P

What's your hardware and don't your buttons just generate keyboard codes 174 and 176 ?
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most frustrating is reading a forum and some noob is crying about how he is going to go back to his native distro, and it's one more pointless thread I have to browse through for an solution. I'm not saying that this thread is.

Paradox(>")>

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
audiodef wrote:
RemcoNL wrote:

What's your hardware and don't your buttons just generate keyboard codes 174 and 176 ?

Yeah, and the buttons work. But lineakd has a lot to say when I open a terminal. Not when I push a button - just open a terminal (terminal or konsole, for example) and before I even type anything there's a bunch of stuff from lineakd with error codes. It's weird, and apparently not harmful, but I'd like to get it to stop doing that.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:

Yeah, and the buttons work. But lineakd has a lot to say when I open a terminal. Not when I push a button - just open a terminal (terminal or konsole, for example) and before I even type anything there's a bunch of stuff from lineakd with error codes. It's weird, and apparently not harmful, but I'd like to get it to stop doing that.

Ah, understood. I have never known about lineakd, just have those buttons linked to "amixer sset +1 Master" for XFce while KDE linked them to mixer automagically.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Ah, understood. I have never known about lineakd, just have those buttons linked to "amixer sset +1 Master" for XFce while KDE linked them to mixer automagically.

Really? What version of KDE? The laptop I have is a Dell Inspiron 1720.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Really? What version of KDE? The laptop I have is a Dell Inspiron 1720.

KDE-3.5.9 on Lenovo Thinkpad X300

It did require chosing the right keyboard model (either in xorg.conf as I did at the end, or in KDE keyboard layout manager).
For thinkpads, 'thinkpad60' defines all multimedia keys correctly. And once it is done, KDE reacted to volume not only changing properly mixer settings (and giving you an option to link the buttons to Master or PCM) but also with an OSD volume bar.

As I'm looking on the available keyboards, there are several for DELL, including Inspiron 6xxx/8xxx.
This all comes with xorg's xkeyboard-config package, from which KDE and Gnome picks the info.

actually xkeyboard-config contains a section with all multimedia keys described, which many keyboard models just include.
Hm, I see that xorg description of multimedia keys (in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/inet ) is taken from LineAK project :)
Looking there I see that Model "inspiron" will probably work for you. You will get all common media keys + few others.
BTW., as again I see from this file - this is exactly what you get when you choose Inspiron 6xxx/8xxx in KDE/Gnome.

So I expect with

Option "XkbModel" "inspiron"

in your xorg.conf (or in KDE config section for layouts)

KDE should link the buttons to the mixer
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing not directly related to gentoo but this happens here on the forums and drives me nuts. I really wish users would not post their entire kernel config (or xorg.conf) file to a thread. To me this pretty much makes the entire page unreadable. Please use pastebin or something similar.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Geralt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
One other thing not directly related to gentoo but this happens here on the forums and drives me nuts. I really wish users would not post their entire kernel config (or xorg.conf) file to a thread. To me this pretty much makes the entire page unreadable. Please use pastebin or something similar.

This is a bad solution because pastebin and other paste sites don't store the files over long periods which makes all those threads after a short period of time useless to others with a similiar problem.
But it would be nice if you could attach these to your thread, so they won't clutter the postings/threads and they would remain there.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a bad solution because pastebin and other paste sites don't store the files over long periods which makes all those threads after a short period of time useless

Agreed.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geralt wrote:
drescherjm wrote:

This is a bad solution because pastebin and other paste sites don't store the files over long periods which makes all those threads after a short period of time useless to others with a similiar problem.
But it would be nice if you could attach these to your thread, so they won't clutter the postings/threads and they would remain there.

Solution could be if forum software allow to hide the long segments "under the cut" so that only the link to the document is visible, put pressing which expands what was hidden. Many blogging engines have that.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Geralt wrote:
drescherjm wrote:

Solution could be if forum software allow to hide the long segments "under the cut" so that only the link to the document is visible, put pressing which expands what was hidden. Many blogging engines have that.

Or just scroll bars for code boxes...
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
Geralt wrote:
drescherjm wrote:

The downside of scroll bars is that you never see the text at once on the screen :?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

The downside of scroll bars is that you never see the text at once on the screen :?

If the text is long enough to require scroll bars, then you would never see it "at once on the screen" anyway... :lol:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
dmpogo wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:

If the text is long enough to require scroll bars, then you would never see it "at once on the screen" anyway... :lol:

Then I have a scroll bar on my browser :)

Last edited by dmpogo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, The thread that got me back to thinking about this is here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-709908-start-0.html#top

In the first page someone posted a kernel .config that is 2413 lines long. I have 2 problems with that. I love to help people (and I try hard ever day), but I am not sure I will ever have the patients/time to read someones 2413 line .config file to determine a problem. The second reason is what I said before, I find this clutters the page completely because I have to scroll very far to get around this to find the next post in the thread. And after I spent a minute scrolling to the down I do not want to spend a second minute going back up (trying to make sense of the thread) to the post before this..

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is about what we don't like, but I just have to say something real positive about Gentoo. I recently finished installing Gentoo on my Celeron 333 with with 384 m/b of mem with XFCE and it's performance, to say the least is surprising. I set this system up hoping that another cluster program will be available one day for Gentoo again and to help my other 5 systems using distcc. Seriously, there is no better OS!!!
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

So I expect with

Option "XkbModel" "inspiron"

in your xorg.conf (or in KDE config section for layouts)

KDE should link the buttons to the mixer

Thanks, dmpogo! That would be better than linkeakd, so I'm going to give that a try soon. :D
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
BTW, The thread that got me back to thinking about this is here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-709908-start-0.html#top

In the first page someone posted a kernel .config that is 2413 lines long. I have 2 problems with that. I love to help people (and I try hard ever day), but I am not sure I will ever have the patients/time to read someones 2413 line .config file to determine a problem. The second reason is what I said before, I find this clutters the page completely because I have to scroll very far to get around this to find the next post in the thread. And after I spent a minute scrolling to the down I do not want to spend a second minute going back up (trying to make sense of the thread) to the post before this..

thanks for the suggestion. i've added this to the phpbb3 test, [code] blocks won't take up the whole page. :wink:

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i've added this to the phpbb3 test, [code] blocks won't take up the whole page.

bunder

I am a little confused after reading the rules for the phpbb3 test. What is the goal of the user test? Do you want us to create and participate in threads so that the features of the new forum get tested?

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: