games-action/blobwars
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: games-action/blobwars Reply with quote

What happened to games-action/blobwars in portage? I had it successfully installed as of a month ago and recall seeing it in portage, but now it seems to no longer exist and I can't find any traces of why it was removed (I have no idea where to look). Anyone have any ideas what happened?

UPDATE:

mki @ freenode.org/#Gentoo pointed out http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/games-arcade/blobwars/?hideattic=0 but was unable to find any reasoning for its removal

UPDATE:

I believe blobwars was removed from portage because of http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/blobWars.php

License: "This game should not be added to Linux distributions or respositories."

I imagine there may be several other game developers that specify there games should not be listed in such places. However, without it being in portage, I would never hear of such games. Perhaps someone can produce a complete list of all linux-compatible games and a column that indicates whether or not it is available in portage so that I, along with others, could become aware of such games (that aren't already in or have been removed from portage)?

Last edited by mizery de aria on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the log entries for the commit which removed the package, beyond that, asking mr_bones_ directly might reveal the specific reasoning.

Last edited by desultory on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look:
Quote:
FILE REMOVED
Upstream requested package removal.
mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Note the log entries for the commit which removed the package, beyond that, asking mr_bones_ directly might reveal the specific reasoning.

My question was why would upstream remove the package, which I referenced and already answered. Perhaps it may be useful to create an unofficial overlay for games that game developers declare to not be included in repositories? Does anyone know if Blob Wars is already in such an overlay? How about other Parallel Reality games such as Blob and Conquer?

games-arcade/viruskiller seems to have been affected too =/
lazy_bum
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they should also add "don't play it, don't download it".....
mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Sweeney wrote:
The reason is because some of the game's assets (the sound and music) are not GPL.
We've been hounded by some GPL Trolls over this and have recently given up. There is a thread on Happy Penguin about it.

After some brief searching I'm guessing Steven was referring to this thread

In particular...
leileilol wrote:
...You'd better get around and tell all those universe/ repositories to stop hosting your games illegally. This ignorance is putting many into legal risk.

Gentongcumi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mizery de aria wrote:
Steven Sweeney wrote:
The reason is because some of the game's assets (the sound and music) are not GPL.
We've been hounded by some GPL Trolls over this and have recently given up. There is a thread on Happy Penguin about it.

After some brief searching I'm guessing Steven was referring to this thread

In particular...
leileilol wrote:
...You'd better get around and tell all those universe/ repositories to stop hosting your games illegally. This ignorance is putting many into legal risk.

LOL...ROFL
TheRussellHome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Can we bring them back now? Reply with quote

Given the following quote from the developer (on http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/), can we please bring them back?

Quote:
23rd September 2008
The decision to remove all the binaries from the site, in response to GPL fears, has been overwhelmingly unpopular. So we've now put them back up. Please be aware: Our games use non-free resources and should not be added to Linux repositories, unless they can be added to a repository that permits such additions.

mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, bring them back to portage. Luckily I had emerged all the applications/games before they were removed.
krushia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please bring the our blobs back. This game is so much fun.
mizery de aria
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs to be notified of this so as to bring the games back?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Members of the relevant project.
Ex-Cyber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can we bring them back now? Reply with quote

TheRussellHome wrote:
Given the following quote from the developer (on http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/), can we please bring them back?

Quote:
23rd September 2008
The decision to remove all the binaries from the site, in response to GPL fears, has been overwhelmingly unpopular. So we've now put them back up. Please be aware: Our games use non-free resources and should not be added to Linux repositories, unless they can be added to a repository that permits such additions.

The real problem isn't that there are resources under some non-free-license, it's that the developer can't even confirm the existence of a license for the music/sound effects:

Quote:
So, to clarify, the source code, data sets and graphics are Free. The rest
is unknown (but as far as I'm concerned, I'm just redistributing assets that
were already available freely).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: