Make a backup of a large folder to DVD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Make a backup of a large folder to DVD Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a large folder with a lot of files in it. (39gig)

I would like to make a compressed backup and burn it to multiple dvds. I basically want to make 4gig files that I will need the entire set to extract.

Not sure exactly how to proceed. Anyone as any hints?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use tar to do the initial compression, and use app-misc/lxsplit to split the compressed backup file into 4 gig chunks. Of course, the easiest method would be to burn the individual files onto the required number of DVD's...but I'm assuming that's not what you had in mind, or you'd have not even posted the question.

Blessed be!
Pappy
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also tar and split it in one run, like
Code:
tar cvjf - /path/to/backup|split -b 4000m - backup.tar.bz2.

This results in
backup.tar.bz2.0
backup.tar.bz2.1
backup.tar.bz2.2

etc...
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use tar this way but having it wait after completing each part? This would allow me to burn the completed part and delete it so that I have space for the next one ;]

And how would I go about unpacking it later with swapping dvd's?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szczerb wrote:
Is it possible to use tar this way but having it wait after completing each part? This would allow me to burn the completed part and delete it so that I have space for the next one ;]

And how would I go about unpacking it later with swapping dvd's?

You better use DAR for that task then.

You can tell DAR to pause after writing each slice, like
Code:
dar -s 4g -p 3

would create 4GB slices and pause after every 3 slices (it would automatically pause and wait for your action if the disk runs full, continuing as soon disk space is available again)
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae: You are right, it would be cleaner to burn the files without making a single archive. Unfortunatly, I have a 39.9G folder with 9377 files in it, not sorted in a way that would allow to easilly split them into 4G dvds. I just want to make a backup in case I do something stupid when I change my server. I also plan to use the same method to backup another folder with very large (over 4G) files in it that would be a real pain to backup otherwise.

I will be using split, as it is already installed on the system and will not require me to install anything. Space is not an issue, as the drive I copied all the files to be backed up to as plenty of space to accomodate the archive until I burn it. Having to wait while it packs is not really an issue, as I am not in a hurry. I am more concerned with making sure I loose nothing.

However, I am currious as to how I will put the pieces back togeter when it is done.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are a lot of ways to do that. You could emerge lxsplit on your new setup, and use that to join the files. You could edit the .ISO file using one of the many iso editors, and add the lxsplit executable, and then burn the results to the boot disk you'll use to do the moving, assuming you're going to take that route.

Another really festive method for doing so would be to install apache2 or another http server, set up your own personal "web site" with the needed files, and let the network turn and burn for a few hours as you pass those files across your own personal "internet". That would avoid making the DVD's altogether. I've used that method to do fresh Gentoo setups. Things run so much smoother when you don't have to wait for things to come to you via a slower connection. Just get everything ready, start apache2, and have at it.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: