ACPI on a HP NX9005
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: ACPI on a HP NX9005 Reply with quote

I really like to get ACPI on my HP working (Athlon XP-M). Everytime i compile the kernel (XFS-sources) with ACPI support it won't boot any more. It just hangs when the kernel is trying to recognize the ACPI feature.

Besides which deamon is best to use (i mainly want the Idle throttle feature to save some Battery)

Thanks for Help
(hopefully my fingers will be cooler soon and the battery will last longer)
carbon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why xfs-sources? i tried gentoo-sources and compiled acpi support in it and it boots fine.

i dont think acpi works perfectly in 2.4.x kernel, to me it just doesnt work at all.

Carbon
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use APM, ACPI isn't quite finished. Not because of the kernel devs fault, its because of Microsofts. They use their own broken implementation(Embrace and extend). The kernel devs won't copy bug for bug. They use Intel's open implentation for it. So all the manufactures use Microsoft's broken one cause lets face it Windows is the majority.
mpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: APM Reply with quote

Will APM allow me to throttle the CPU ? If yes, how? How do i get APM to work, it says: apm:Bios not supported, or something like that.

I tried development-sources, ac-sources, gs-sources. Do Gentoo sources offer XFS support?
faccenda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: The same problem Reply with quote

I have the same notebook and installing the gentoo with kernel 2.6.2-gentoo the notebook hangs on boot, saying something with ACPI. So, I pass acpi=off or noacpi (dunno which) and i can boot.
But I'd like to have ACPI working. Does anyone know how to fix?
mpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Acpi should work Reply with quote

I guess you have to disabpe local Apic Support and SMP in the kernel.

Well According to this http://www.consultmatt.co.uk/nx9005.php Acpi should work just fine, but i myself had no luck gettin Powenow! to work.
What does PoweNow! do anyways, i have almost all other ACPI functions going:
Battery, Cpu states C1 and C2, Poweroff with Power button.
All of this works without a kernel patch but like i said, no luck with the Powenow feature yet!
mpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Powenow! Reply with quote

I just got the PowerNow! feature working with cpufreqd seems to run real good. The Battery consumption seems to be half as high as before.
Have fun
faccenda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: ACPI working Reply with quote

I just get ACPI working removing APIC, as said for many other users. But, my problem was that the option to disable APIC doesnt appears in the kernel configuration (2.6.2-gentoo). I just got a .config file from the 2.6.1 kernel from Fedora Core 1, and replaced mine so I could disable APIC and reconfigure my kernel to fit my needs.

Thanks for all.

Now, I'm trying to use the synaptics module for my touchpad. ;)
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APIC is required for SMP machines, so you need to disable SMP to see the APIC option in the kernel config.
airhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Powenow! Reply with quote

mpi wrote:
I just got the PowerNow! feature working with cpufreqd seems to run real good. The Battery consumption seems to be half as high as before.
Have fun

How long does the battery last on your laptop? I'm looking at getting the same laptop so it would be nice to see how long it lasts with/without frequency scaling.

Cheers
mpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: TTL Reply with quote

My Notebook Lasts about 2 - 2,5 h (6 Mon old, @1. 2-3 h)
but it is really annoying because it makes some kind of a high tone when the Cpu is under load and on Battery (seems to be at least all the 2,4+ models)
airhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere on a "Linux on nx9005" page that someone else had the same problem. From memory they were able to fix most of it by upgrading the BIOS. Upgrade it at your own risk though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: