Which version of gentoo/windows [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Which version of gentoo/windows [solved] Reply with quote

This is probably a dumb question. I just ordered the parts to build a new pc. I ordered an Intel quad core processor and it's 64 bit compatable. It's going to be dual boot. Do I install ia64 gentoo with Xp 64 bit or stick with the x86 Gentoo with 32 bit xp? Is there any benifet to either?

The reason I'm confused here is that I've been shopping different prebuilt systems and even on AMD64 systems they all seem to be shipped with vista home 32 bit instaed of the 64 bit version.

Last edited by nobody13 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:22 am; edited 2 times in total
kevstar31
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IA64 is for intel itanium processors. You need to use either AMD64 or X86.
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the ia64.

Wich do I use AMD64 or x86? Does it even make much of a difference?
Stupendoussteve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD64 is for 64 bit processors.

If you have a lot of ram it may be beneficial to use 64 bit. If not there may be a little benefit, there are also generally a few more headaches.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Windows side, stick with 32-bit Windows XP. The 64-bit Windows XP is poorly supported, and will probably give you far more grief than it is worth.

On the Linux side, use either x86 or amd64, whichever you prefer. There are many threads on this forum, some quite recent, arguing the merits of x86 versus amd64. There is no requirement to use x86 Linux simply because you use x86 Windows.
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about vista issues, but for gentoo, if you are putting more than 4 gig of ram in it, or think you might upgrade to >4 gig in the future, you should do an amd64 install - you can't address more than 4 gig of ram in a 32 bit system.

I've been running amd64 on a core2 duo for almost a year - just a few annoyances, such as no 64-bit java plugin for firefox - I just run 32-bit firefox-bin if I need java, and 64 bit firefox otherwise.

For dual booting gentoo & XP, you don't have to run them both the same "bitness". I dual boot amd64 gentoo and 32 bit XP.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using the 64-bit installation medium (AMD64) for your setup. You won't run into many problems at all, and you'll take full advantage of your hardware.
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

The ram issues was a concern with windows ( I bought 4G ), I didn't know Linux had the same trouble. I found an academic version of xp 64-bit for $49.00. I'm going to try it out. (hu - i wish i read your post a few hours ago - I wouldn't have bought it)

I guess I'm going to give the Gentoo AMD-64 a try too since. I've never seen it. I hope java and flash isn't too tough to get working.

Thanks
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 64-bit version of Windows won't be that bad if you're running 4GB of RAM. Since Windows runs all precompiled binaries, it shouldn't be a big deal. Also, with Gentoo 64, you shouldn't run into any problems with Firefox and Flash. I don't use Java, so I can't say anything regarding that aspect. If you need help, though, we'll be here! :)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows requires that all kernel modules be of the same bitness as the core kernel. If he uses a 64-bit Windows system, he will need 64-bit versions of Windows drivers for all his hardware. Due to the generally low historical popularity of 64-bit Windows, getting 64-bit Windows drivers can be difficult with some vendors. It may improve as 64-bit Windows Vista takes hold, although there remains the possibility that a 64-bit Windows Vista driver will use Vista-specific functionality.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Windows requires that all kernel modules be of the same bitness as the core kernel. If he uses a 64-bit Windows system, he will need 64-bit versions of Windows drivers for all his hardware. Due to the generally low historical popularity of 64-bit Windows, getting 64-bit Windows drivers can be difficult with some vendors. It may improve as 64-bit Windows Vista takes hold, although there remains the possibility that a 64-bit Windows Vista driver will use Vista-specific functionality.

Ah, you're right. I didn't notice he was going to be running XP instead of Vista (guess I should have more carefully read the OP). ;)
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointment #1 - no 64 bit version of zonealarm and 32 bit version won't install.l Will have to find another firewall for windows.

No problems with drivers yet
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why one would want to run ZoneAlarm in Windows at all. I had Windows running for years and never used any type of software firewall or antivirus. ZA is especially bloated, so unless you absolutely need it for some reason or another, I would say you're better off without it.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody13 wrote:
The ram issues was a concern with windows ( I bought 4G ), I didn't know Linux had the same trouble.

Well, this is solved but I just wanted to add that Linux can see all your ram if you select high memory support in kernel. Anyway, you should be fine with amd64.
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
I'm not sure why one would want to run ZoneAlarm in Windows at all. I had Windows running for years and never used any type of software firewall or antivirus. ZA is especially bloated, so unless you absolutely need it for some reason or another, I would say you're better off without it.

If you made it years without antivirus/firewall you were very lucky or spent most of your time running on your linux partion. I'm not married to ZA I had only reciently started using it because it's free and Norton I nternet Security is worse. Anyway I found an alternative - so far so good.

Thanks
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was REALLY lucky then, because I never installed any updates to Windows past SP1. ;) What was the alternative that you found to use, just out of curiosity.
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comodo firewall. So far so good, but havn't had much time to spend on windows yet. I'm still setting up Gentoo.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get Gentoo setup, you're not going to want to spend much time in Windoze. 8) :P
nobody13
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I only keep Windows for games.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: