Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hang on HP Netserver LH II - Framebuffer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headlessbob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Hang on HP Netserver LH II - Framebuffer? Reply with quote

This might also be relavent to the hardware forum, but I've only seen the problem in install so I'm posting here.

I'm trying to install gentoo 1.4 on a HP Netserver LH II (see this link for technical info).
Has 128 mb edo ram, 1 pII 266 (see the link for all the other gory details).

Install media: 1.4 rc-4 on livecd.

Problem: After the kernel loads various display troubles are found. This is what I've tried, and the results of each:
(default): after loading initrd, screen blanks.
nofb: after loading initrd, screen is VERY distorted... you can read parts if you try hard though.
800 and 1024: 4-6 rectangles with lines everywhere, unless vga=n options are set, in which case it looks like nofb with vga=n.
acpi: no luck either

nofb with vga=x options help...
vga=1,2,3,0x305, is readable (small font), but half the screen is missing and the leftmost text appears on the right. When scrolled to the top the text turns to a few various non-alphanumeric ascii chars. Sortof like the screen is being processed and sent translocated up by 1/2 a screen, and over by ~3 chars (only the side wraps).

Note: RedHat 9 and OpenBSD 3.3 both install fine and run fine on this system, so its something with the gentoo livecd kernels. In addition, I've tried a secondary PCI video card and a seperate monitor. In addition, the pretty splash screen loads perfectly fine. I've also successfully installed gentoo on many a 'puter, and this is the only problem I've been unable to solve on my own :(.

Anyway, I was unable to find any info about anybody installing gentoo on a netserver lh II, so I thought I'd post this. I'm not all out of ideas, but if anybody has any suggestions that would be great. The problem seems similar to this discussion but, of course, with a realllllly crappy video card.

I figure its perhaps something memory related? Its independant of the video card, apparently. Meh. Bah. And so on...
-Brian
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to install from Knoppix? Its hardware support is still the best around (on LiveCDs)
headlessbob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to have a problem with the HW detection... I've switched to the nofb kernel and everything works fine EXCEPT the excessively crappy display. RedHat starts with the same crappy display but fixes itself in a second or two... SO I've come to the conclusion that its something the gentoo install doesn't/isn't doing.
I'm currently playing around with different consolefont settings, although to no avail thus far...
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did want to tell you is that you should try booting with a Knoppix CD and check if it looks ok. If yes, just install Gentoo from there.
headlessbob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.
I ended up doing essentially that, but with RedHat instead in a fairly complicated process that worked, but could have been done easier I'm quite certain (partitioned drive with fdisk on OpenBSD boot floppy, installed redhat on a partition near the end of the drive. Then mounted a partition for installing gentoo upon, continuing on with the install instructions like normal, and eventually I'll wipe out the redhat install).

So now that I have a gentoo-sources kernel compiled, there is no problem with the display output. I haven't had time to test much, or play around with kernel options trying to break it again, but it works now. I haven't changed many options in the kernel other than scsi support, so the default seems to work.

Which suggests (to me, at least) that the way the gentoo install cd currently works does something with the console that isn't compatible with something.
Perhaps if I actually have more time I'll try to fill in those "somethings" with actual nouns that can describe the problem.

On a completely unrelated note, I really need to find a second VRM (voltage regulator module) for the second processor on this thing (netserver lh ii). If anybody just happens to have one or knows where to get one, you could make me a very happy man...
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have Gentoo running on two of those HP NetServers. Works just fine. They make nice FileServers.
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you know how to run gentoo on a NetServer, I'm quite interested as I ran through problems while trying myself...
Can you tell me what is the onboard Tulip chip for ?
Is there a HP10/100 lan adapter in your machine, and if so, were you able to run it in 100M mode ?
Do you have hints for the install on this particular hardware ?
Please tell me, and I may try to re-install gentoo in place of this f***ing MNF, which duplicates my NICs at each boot.
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not really know what your Problem is with the NetServer LH II. Let me just post what I have...
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 30)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21052 (rev 02)
00:09.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corp. 82375EB (rev 15)
00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7880U
00:0b.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7880U
01:02.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940/2940W / AIC-7871
As you can see I have the two OnBoard AIC-7880U controllers plus on extra SCSI Card. On the extra Card I have just a ZiP Drive and a CDROM Drive. I replaced the standart HP CDROM with a faster one. OH.... and I am using a 3com Card.
My NetServer has 12 HDs pretty much every HD is in RAID mode. I am not using the SCSI RAID Card which came with that Unit. Somebody offered me $100 for the Card so I sold it....
What else? Update your BIOS and use the ECU Tool. Most of the Time you will run into problems using the BIOS UpDate or the ECU Tool but don't work you can make it
Yeah instead of a dual 266 I put two 300's in.
Code:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 300.688
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov mmx
bogomips        : 599.65

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 300.688
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov mmx
bogomips        : 601.29

Compiler flags
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math -fforce-addr -falign-functions=4 -funroll-loops"

Kernel
there is one thing you have (?) to activate in your Kernel [*] Unsynced TSC support otherwise your system will not start everytime.
I am not so sure about the ACPI features... I did some research on it but couldn't really find anything on it.
I heard that some Boards actually support I2C but my board doesn't support it.
I disabled ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support.

Bootmanager lilo. :wink:
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, excuse me, I was talking about a NetServer too, but not at all the same machine.
Mine seems to come from early ages : NetServer LD Pro PPro180, 64MB Ram, this strange Tulip onboard chip and an old HP10/100 that only works at 10MB (and unable to communicate with my ADSL modem). But nethermind, I'll keep MNF and play with space left...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: