terminal cancer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Cheesdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: terminal cancer? Reply with quote

My computer seems to have some serious health issues. It started going strange a while ago and now almost everything fails to compile (except for gcc). I know that my hard drive is dodgy (some bad blocks) and my system is crashing reasonably frequently (every day or 2) which often screws up my hard drive again. Im not sure if the harddrive problems are causing or resultant from the crashes, but either way, its not good.

My first symptoms were that when I went to log out from fluxbox it would appear to hang, but I could get back to X with ctrl-alt-f8. once this had happened all the virtual consoles and my original x session display would be stuck with an image from my previous session.
It wasnt a big problem so I ignored it, and recently I unmerged kde, and emerged a whole lot of random stuff, which is when it all went awry.

I found out that it was no longer working about 2 weeks ago when I tried to emerge audacity. Since then very little has compiled and the crashes have increased, with fsck failing at boot time several times.
Today I ran e2fsck -c -f /dev/hdb1 which fixed a few things on the hard drive but I cant say what now (oops.)

So...whenever I try to emerge anything it fails,
eg

Code:

#emerge mpg123

hah! I just chose mpg123 becasue it was a small file and I wanted to capture its output to post... and it compiled...

ok, these three are from a previous post:

app-text/xpdf-2.02.1 failed:
Code:

g++ -march=k6 -O2 -mmmx -m3dnow -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I./../goo -I.  -I/usr/include/freetype2          -I/usr/X11R6/include -c FontFile.cc
In file included from GfxState.h:20,
                 from FTFont.cc:27:
Function.h:165: `virtual' fails to be a typedef or built in type
make[1]: *** [FTFont.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
FontFile.cc:3405: two or more data types in declaration of `outputStream'
FontFile.cc:3405: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `outputStream' with no type
FontFile.cc:3405: prototype for `void TrueTypeFontFile::cvtCharStrings(char**,
   CharCodeToUnicode*, int, int, void (*)(void*, char*, int), int*)' does not
   match any in class `TrueTypeFontFile'
FontFile.h:229: candidate is: void TrueTypeFontFile::cvtCharStrings(char**,
   CharCodeToUnicode*, int, int, void (*)(void*, char*, int), void*)
make[1]: *** [FontFile.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xpdf-2.02.1/work/xpdf-2.02pl1/xpdf'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-text/xpdf-2.02.1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 30, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

dev-libs/fftw-2.1.5 failed.

Code:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I. -I./../fftw -I. -march=k6 -O2 -mmmx -m3dnow -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -MT fn_15.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fn_15.Tpo -c fn_15.c -o fn_15.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .libs/fn_15.lo fn_15.lo
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/fftw-2.1.5/work/fftw-2.1.5-single/fftw'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/fftw-2.1.5/work/fftw-2.1.5-single/fftw'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: dev-libs/fftw-2.1.5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 69, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

x11-libs/Xaw3d-1.5-r1 failed.

Code:

gcc -m32 -c -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -fno-strict-aliasing     -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include    -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE     -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -DHAS_WCHAR_H -DHAS_WCTYPE_H -DNO_WIDEC_H -DARROW_SCROLLBAR -DUSEGRAY    -fPIC Layout.c
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/Xaw3d-1.5-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 58, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

also, heres my /proc/cpuinfo
Code:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 498.863
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips        : 992.87

So does anybody have any hints as to what I sould do? Im considering reinstalling gentoo from stage 3 (I dont have the patience to do a stage 1 again right now) but Id really rather just fix the damn thing...

cheesdog]
Konsti
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: terminal cancer? Reply with quote

Jake Cheesdog wrote:

model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
cpu MHz : 498.863
[/code]

Is the CPU not overclocked? K6-II or K6-I or K6-III?
Only the K6-III was shipped in a 500MHz Version...
Looks like bad RAM/Cache anyhow.

Konsti
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[offtopic]
I find the titile of this topic rather unpleasant and unneccessary, apart from the fact that it is meaningless with respect to your problem.
[/offtopic]
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the above, is it o/c'd, or you may have bad ram, or the bios settings for your ram timing are too aggressive.

Also re your hard drive, if it's got bad sectors then it's just going to get worse. It's unlikely your box crashing would actually cause physical bad sectors on the HDD itself, certainly nothing that couldn't be fixed with an fsck (although you may lose some files that were using the bad sectors). I'd salvage/backup what you can off that HDD and give it a low-level format - most HDD manufacturers have one available on their website. Then re-install from scratch, and monitor the situation for a while before trusting that drive again. What make of HDD is it? I would also prepare yourself for the outcome of having to buy a new drive.
Jake Cheesdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your ideas, but ive solved the problem -

my processor fan had seized up and wasnt working at all. The only thing I had to do was give it a litle tap to start it up again and bingo, everything is now compiling. I do intend to get a new one soonish, but meanwhile im just leaving my cover off so I can keep an eye on it.
regarding the hard drive, i am looking in to getting a new one as well..

bye
cheesdog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: