View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My amarok 2 was crashing before too, so I have no reason to blame that on graphite.
I've had some crashes from vlc. I can't recall if I've had them before or not, could possibly be an issue with 4.4/graphite/2.10. If it happens frequently enough I'll investige, but currently it doesn't.
Haven't noticed anything else.
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
hirakendu wrote:
Update: Yippie! I got my first ICE with graphite - with the libcaca package (probably posted before in this thread). Not that it really matters, but I am stopping my graphite adventures here. (I sweared that I'll go with it only if emerge -e world goes fine :p.)

If you swore you swore, but I can tell you that libcaca was the only package that ICEd for me. Disabled graphite and everything was fine.

Yikes! you are tempting me :twisted:. Ok, I'll disable those cflags for libcaca and try again sometime. (Btw, only recently did I come to know about the neat feature of setting package specific variables in /etc/portage/env/ , while emerging amarok with mysql.)
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:
Letharion wrote:
hirakendu wrote:
Update: Yippie! I got my first ICE with graphite - with the libcaca package (probably posted before in this thread). Not that it really matters, but I am stopping my graphite adventures here. (I sweared that I'll go with it only if emerge -e world goes fine :p.)

If you swore you swore, but I can tell you that libcaca was the only package that ICEd for me. Disabled graphite and everything was fine.

Yikes! you are tempting me :twisted:. Ok, I'll disable those cflags for libcaca and try again sometime. (Btw, only recently did I come to know about the neat feature of setting package specific variables in /etc/portage/env/ , while emerging amarok with mysql.)

And I only recently heard the same but still dont know it. Care to link me?
robnotts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, after the success on the laptop... i moved my main machine over to GCC4.4.0, but with very sane CFLAGS!

If you are using MYTHTV with MYSQL, I wouldn't recommend compiling MYSQL with GCC4.4.0, as it corrupted the database. Luckily I had a backup. Recompiling MYSQL with GCC4.3.3-r2, all back up and running.

Was driving me mad for a few hours!

Gentoo Phenom][ X4 955 on AMD790 + Geforce 220GT 8GB/1.75TB (Desktop)
+ MythTV (3xFreeview,1xFreesat HD) on 1080p
Gentoo Turion64 X2 Geforce 6150 2GB/120GB (Laptop)
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, after all the emerge -e world, I actually started using stuff. Things seem to be going nice but for few things. Firefox is extremely crashy - especially while scrolling (actually it hangs). It could be due to nvidia-driver too, but I doubt that is the case (I remember 185.18.14 was working fine the other day). Did anyone else experience it too. Might have something to do with xulrunner. Happens with both 3.0.10 from portage and the binary (x86_64) minefield (3.6a1pre). Also got a kernel oops on my notebook, possibly due to the broadcom-sta driver (wl module). Anyway, the frequent firefox hangs are annoying and unacceptable and make it almost unusable.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, I've actually built xulrunner and firefox with custom-optimizations and graphite + tree vector + fast-math and it seems fine :P
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the firefox crashes might be due to flash: Flash plugin crashes Firefox. I have uninstalled adobe-flash and no more crashes for me.
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
hm, I've actually built xulrunner and firefox with custom-optimizations and graphite + tree vector + fast-math and it seems fine :P

all these flags have been filtered away, so you actually built it with -O2 -march=whatever -pipe :P
robnotts
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the above mentioned problem with mythtv/mysql, I now have 2 machines compiled with gcc-4.4.0, and can report that all is stable. The laptop has the mad cflags, the desktop the nice stable cflags... and both very usable!

Gentoo Phenom][ X4 955 on AMD790 + Geforce 220GT 8GB/1.75TB (Desktop)
+ MythTV (3xFreeview,1xFreesat HD) on 1080p
Gentoo Turion64 X2 Geforce 6150 2GB/120GB (Laptop)
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robnotts wrote:
Apart from the above mentioned problem with mythtv/mysql, I now have 2 machines compiled with gcc-4.4.0, and can report that all is stable. The laptop has the mad cflags, the desktop the nice stable cflags... and both very usable!

Go mad on both! :D

hirakendu wrote:
I remember 185.18.14 was working fine the other day

Might I ask where you got that driver version? An overlay?
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
robnotts wrote:

Go mad on both! :D

hirakendu wrote:

devnull overlay (layman -a devnull)
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:

hirakendu wrote:

I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread :(. I edited the nvidia-drivers ebuild manually.

Ouch, I am tired of this firefox crashing problem :(. I did downgrade it to gcc-4.3 (and rebuilt world), but seems to be a glibc-2.10 problem. It could well be flash (perhaps not playing well with glic-2.10), but sadly, I can't live without flash (and those flashy ads giving epileptic seizures). Nvidia-drivers: checked - all recent versions have same problem. Whatever it is, it was by and large rock stable with gccc-4.3 and glibc-2.9. And sadly, Gentoo doesn't allow to downgrade glibc :o (that is news to me). So restoring from backup images.

Aside, I tried to use opera 10 beta yesterday. Wish it was open source and had a gtk port :p. Anyway, pretty impressed by the snappiness. And contrary to my expectations, all plugins - including mozplugger (acroread 9 32-bit, openoffice etc), gecko-mediaplayer and adobe-flash worked fine. Java worked by providing path manually. Scores 100 in acid3. Almost works like a dream. But alas, it also has problems similar to the firefox hangs, but to less extent. It seems to become unresponsive for brief amounts of time and then recover. (Atleast it doesn't crash or hang completely.)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:
Aside, I tried to use opera 10 beta yesterday. Wish it was open source and had a gtk port :p. Anyway, pretty impressed by the snappiness. And contrary to my expectations, all plugins - including mozplugger (acroread 9 32-bit, openoffice etc), gecko-mediaplayer and adobe-flash worked fine. Java worked by providing path manually. Scores 100 in acid3. Almost works like a dream. But alas, it also has problems similar to the firefox hangs, but to less extent. It seems to become unresponsive for brief amounts of time and then recover. (Atleast it doesn't crash or hang completely.)
flash is known to cause this problem. Go to opera's Preferences -> Content -> Plugin and ensure that the word "netscape" does not occur anywhere in any plugin path. If there is a path containing "netscape", deselect it.
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have for now narrowed down my problem of browser hangs to adobe-flash - perhaps not playing well with glibc-2.10. But for me, no flash is pretty much a stripped down browser :(. For now I'll stick to my older backup image with gcc-4.3 and glibc-2.9, and will later use the new image with gcc-4.4 and glibc-2.10. If I find time, I'll try to confirm that indeed it is adobe-flash by trying ubuntu karmic alpha's. Perhaps that only reflects the importance of open source and freedom - after fixing trivial breakings of most packages with gcc-4.4/glibc-2.10, here I am, almost helplessly stuck at a 1mb binary library file.

Aside, I have four closed source programs (that I can think of right now) on my machine - nvidia-drivers, adobe-reader, adobe-flash and skype - all very important. And two of them are 32-bit :(. (That is discounting sun-java, in the hope of using iced-tea some day.)
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvgrab-3.4 fails with (didn't find a bug on bgo) :
Code:

make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/dvgrab-3.4/work/dvgrab-3.4'
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/lqt    -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -MT avi.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/avi.Tpo -c -o avi.o avi.cc
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/lqt    -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -MT dvframe.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/dvframe.Tpo -c -o dvframe.o dvframe.cc
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/lqt    -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -MT dvgrab.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/dvgrab.Tpo -c -o dvgrab.o dvgrab.cc
In file included from v4l2reader.h:24,
                 from dvgrab.cc:52:
./config.h:50:1: warning: "HAVE_STDLIB_H" redefined
In file included from /usr/include/jpeglib.h:28,
                 from filehandler.h:264,
                 from dvgrab.h:32,
                 from dvgrab.cc:48:
/usr/include/jconfig.h:12:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
dvgrab.cc: In member function ‘void DVgrab::getargs(int, char**)’:
dvgrab.cc:384: warning: format ‘%llx’ expects type ‘long long unsigned int*’, but argument 3 has type ‘uint64_t*’
dvgrab.cc: In member function ‘void DVgrab::captureThreadRun()’:
dvgrab.cc:1077: warning: ignoring return value of ‘ssize_t write(int, const void*, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
mv -f .deps/dvframe.Tpo .deps/dvframe.Po
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include/lqt    -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -march=core2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize -MT error.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/error.Tpo -c -o error.o error.cc
error.cc: In function ‘void sendEventParams(int, int, const char*, ...)’:
error.cc:84: error: ‘stderr’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:84: error: ‘fprintf’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:86: error: ‘stderr’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:86: error: ‘fprintf’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:90: error: ‘snprintf’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:92: error: ‘snprintf’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:95: error: ‘stderr’ was not declared in this scope
error.cc:95: error: ‘vfprintf’ was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [error.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
mv -f .deps/dvgrab.Tpo .deps/dvgrab.Po
mv -f .deps/avi.Tpo .deps/avi.Po
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/dvgrab-3.4/work/dvgrab-3.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, hell freezes over :D. All that firefox crashing due to adobe-flash was due to latest update to gnutls-2.8.0. Downgrading to gnutls-2.6.6 fixes it all. (It is a little disconcerting that almost every major upgrade of a system package causes one breakage or the other :(.) It turns out that crashing problem happened also with gcc-4.3 and glibc-2.9 (as I figured out in last few days using the backup image and then scratching my head). Still, Opera happens to handle it almost flawlessly.

Very special thanks to the bug 272388 to figuring it out. Looks like I wasn't looking at the gdb output carefully when I was doing it :).

So with this, I can declare gcc-4.4 and glibc-2.10 to be completely rock solid for me.

** goes back to 'emerge -e world' with graphite cflags of gcc-4.4 :D **

Meanwhile,
Gregoire wrote:
dvgrab-3.4 fails with (didn't find a bug on bgo)

Hope you have fixed it for yourself for now. If not, I have opened a bug report 272851 in bgo with a trivial patch (adding #include <stdio.h> :o) (as I didn't find any open bugs and nor is it fixed). I would encourage you to open bugs from here on :).

PS: It is my post# 300 and now I am a Guru. Muhahaha. Oh wait!
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu you are my hero !!!

I didn't look forward in compiling dvgrab (partly because my old DV camera isn't here) because I tried to understood why my firefox crashed again and again, even when returning to gcc-4.4 without graphite, then to gcc-4.3.3...

So thank you very muchh !!!
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks to bgo and got lucky with google (yet again) :D.
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who experience strange gdb behavior.
It maybe related to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=269307
It's basically about gcc4.4 optimize out several glibc functions. I attached ebuild+patch for temporary workaround.
ComaWhite
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I get a problem with gdb not giving me no backtrace anymore with GCC-4.4.1
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there packages still broken with -ftracer? My benchmarks indicate that gcc-4.4 has much better -O3 performance (runtime performance of the app being compiled) compared to gcc-4.3.3. Also, in gcc 4.4, -O2 plus -ftracer is almost same as -O3 in performance (tested python math, x264). The compile time is much better with -O2 -ftracer than with -O3. Package size is also better with -O2 -ftracer. Just plain -O2 is about 9% slower in python benchmarks compared to -O2 -ftracer.

So, net result is that I think for 4.4, I plan to use -O2 -ftracer. But I wanted to find out from people if they know of a breakage with -ftracer.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Are there packages still broken with -ftracer?

I did not make any recent tests, but I had some reasons to filter ftracer in my /etc/portage/package.cflags for the following packages:
Code:
media-libs/jpeg
media-video/avidemux
media-video/ffmpeg
sci-libs/blas-atlas
sci-libs/cln
randomlychosen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why is everyone so excited about both GCC 4.3.x and GCC 4.4.x.

First of all, GCC 4.4.0 is known to produce mplayer binaries which segfault playing some video files (that doesn't happen if you use GCC 4.2.x or GCC 4.3.x).

Secondly, according to my own measurements amongst GCC 4.2.4/4.3.3/4.4.0, GCC 4.2.4 is a definite winner.

I have tested some applications and the most useful of them is unrar decompressor. In all my tests GCC 4.2.x produces the least amount of code (read smallest binaries) which works faster than code produced with the later GCC versions. I have not tested graphite flags introduced in GCC 4.4.0 because they are known to cause ICE's and these flags are still considered highly experimental (as they are not enabled at any -O level).

I have Athlon 64 x2 K8 CPU (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ with 1MB L2 cache specifically) and I'm running a 32bit Linux distro.

At third, some tests on the net indicate that GCC 4.4.0 is still lagging behind older GCC versions regardless new major release and number.

At fourth, as I've mentioned earlier, GCC 4.4.0 produces binaries which are usually larger (2-5%) than the ones which are produced by GCC 4.2.x without significant performance boost.

I would be glad if someone posted his/her verifiable results (with compilation flags and PC details) of GCC 4.4.0 winning over GCC 4.2.4 considerably.
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen,

welcome to the gentoo forums.
it is quite unusual that new users join a forum and do not introduce themselves, nor ask a question, because they need help with something.
IMHO it is not productive to just question the work of other people.

since 4.4.0 is the current version of gcc, it is onlyl reasonable to try to get it in a stable state on a linux distribution, in our case gentoo.
ignoring it would lead to beeing out of date.
if you want to compare the performance of gcc versions, compare 4.2.0, 4.3.0 and 4.4.0, not higher point releases with a point zero release.

and, if you do not like 4.4.0, why not just stick with an older version? nobody forces you to upgrade.
randomlychosen wrote:
I would be glad if someone posted his/her verifiable results (with compilation flags and PC details) of GCC 4.4.0 winning over GCC 4.2.4 considerably.
you did not post anything reproducible yourself, are you aware of that?
randomlychosen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit

I have many years of Linux experience and I haven't come here to ask questions or introduce myself because it would only be detrimental to this technical discussion. ;)

My point of posting here is that gentoo users are the most tech-savvy users in a Linux user base so I wanted to share my thoughts with you, hoping that someone could dispel my doubts. I see no point of comparing GCC 4.4.0 with older .0 releases since newer subreleases in absolutely most cases only resolve bugs and introduce fixes.

> you did not post anything reproducible yourself, are you aware of that?

Yes, I'm aware of that, and I'll post my results later. As some people in this thread have indicated a major performance boost gained from using GCC 4.4.0 I decided to hear them first.

Added later:

Here comes the first whopping evidence:

Qt 4.5.2 /lib directory (without *.debug files) occupies
Code:
GCC 4.2.4: 43,649,379 bytes in 107 files
GCC 4.4.0: 46,544,895 bytes in 107 files

As you can see there's a 6.6% difference with absolutely identical compilation flags (-march=pentium2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize).

As for unrar performance stats, please, see this unresolved bug report. It contains all necessary data.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: