Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen wrote:
I have many years of Linux experience and I haven't come here to ask questions or introduce myself because it would only be detrimental to this technical discussion
very, very self-confident.
randomlychosen wrote:
I wanted to share my thoughts with you, hoping that someone could dispel my doubts.
people who just want to share there their thoughts do not question the efforts of a community they are not a matured part of.
randomlychosen wrote:
I see no point of comparing GCC 4.4.0 with older .0 releases since newer subreleases in absolutely most cases only resolve bugs and introduce fixes.
those resolved bugs and introduced fixed cause performance improvements in many cases.
randomlychosen wrote:
Here comes the first whopping evidence:

Qt 4.5.2 /lib directory (without *.debug files) occupies
Code:
GCC 4.2.4: 43,649,379 bytes in 107 files
GCC 4.4.0: 46,544,895 bytes in 107 files

As you can see there's a 6.6% difference with absolutely identical compilation flags (-march=pentium2 -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize).
okay, the code is larger, what about speed?
and, nobody said that 4.4.0 is the best thing since sliced bread. it's the latest release and should therefor be brought to the distribution.
randomlychosen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit wrote:
it's the latest release and should therefor be brought to the distribution.

"Should"? Who has decided so? Are you a deity? ;)

I would be glad if we stopped this rant and instead proceeded straight to the available results (which I'm already sharing). I'm not questioning any efforts, I'm just trying to figure out why people are jumping on a boat without even checking out if it can sail well.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to comment here, but I feel that has gone a little further than necessary. As one who likes the latest and greatest, I'm sympathetic to alex.blackbit, but his tone is more hostile than I'm used to seeing here. It seems to me that randomlychosen is asking a reasonable question that is likely to generate more results that may help those interested in efficiency in making a choice. I'd like to say welcome to the forums, and don't let one responder sour you on this experience.
Fred
LukynZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen

Hi and welcome. I think you are on the good way, however I think the only one test - unrar - is not good for presentating, that gcc-4.4.0 is worse. Well I am using 4.3.3 and I don't need to try 4.4.0 to my entire system, howewer I think that u should post more tests, than unrar only. I believe that some things can be better and some worse. Another quiestion is, how is compiled your entire system and dependencies. I think it is interesting. I have no time to test it at the moment, maybe next week, but I am curious how real is performance diff against gcc 4.2 and 4.4. I think the binary size is not problem at this times....well until it is slower too. Then it is weird
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, unrar is damn slow... I got it a little bit faster with my core2duo with gcc-4.4.0 but 7z is still faster (for rar files).
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen wrote:
alex.blackbit wrote:
it's the latest release and should therefor be brought to the distribution.

"Should"? Who has decided so? Are you a deity? ;)

I would be glad if we stopped this rant and instead proceeded straight to the available results (which I'm already sharing). I'm not questioning any efforts, I'm just trying to figure out why people are jumping on a boat without even checking out if it can sail well.

the reason why a new compiler version should be usable on a linux distribution is simple: software projects will be using it. a compiler is a very basic infrastructure element. if we do not have it, we will be unable to build applications that depend on it. this alone is reason enough. a judgment over the quality of the release is okay, but leaving it completely out is not an option, no matter if "it can sail well".
this is my last post in this thread.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey randomlychosen.

a)
I don't care all that much however about improved performance, I enjoy simply being the bleeding edge. During the upgrade to 4.4/2.10 I learned about how glibc got stricter about what code it compiles and that's the reason packages failed. I had a learning experience. If my computer got faster, that's great, if it didn't, I can probably live with that.

b)
I did get some improved performance, _with_ graphite.
Made a short post about somewhere back.
I can report back that I have noticed no problems at all. No weird behavior or seg faults.

Decided not to post the results simply because 1) I was (and remain) a lazy bastard and 2) some tests failed. A few from the beginning, and a few more with 4.4/2.10.

I would however, be up to the task of "proving" that I got better results, if it makes you (or anyone else happier)
Please outline what sort of tests you'd like me to perform, and I shall do my best to do so, time permitting.

c)
While we are on the subject of getting the most performance out of our machines, this might interest people: http://ctuning.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

d)
Ofc 4.4 should be in the dist. This is gentoo, "The dist with the choices". No one has decided that anyone should use 4.4. Portage will probably happily allow you to build your programs with 2.95 if you ask it nicely. But for me personally running 4.4 is natural. Some people must make the dive into unknown water and see what's down there. I hope I'll make the time somewhere down the line to help others draw a map too.
randomlychosen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
Please outline what sort of tests you'd like me to perform, and I shall do my best to do so, time permitting.

Here's the list of items which I believe will be interesting for everyone here.
Gregoire wrote:
By the way, unrar is damn slow... I got it a little bit faster with my core2duo with gcc-4.4.0 but 7z is still faster (for rar files).

Hm, please test this unrar. It's faster than the official version probably up to 20%.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen wrote:

Hm, please test this unrar. It's faster than the official version probably up to 20%.

Well, if it's only 20% you definitely need to go to 7z :-)
randomlychosen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregoire wrote:
randomlychosen wrote:

I have tested 7z rar decompression and I found that it has roughly the same speed as the official unrar. I'm not sure who made up the myth that 7zip is faster that rar itself.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen wrote:
Gregoire wrote:
randomlychosen wrote:

I have tested 7z rar decompression and I found that it has roughly the same speed as the official unrar. I'm not sure who made up the myth that 7zip is faster that rar itself.

rar take only one core... 7z take all available that should be the difference, strange that's it's not faster for you.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregoire wrote:
randomlychosen wrote:
Gregoire wrote:
randomlychosen wrote:

rar take only one core... 7z take all available that should be the difference, strange that's it's not faster for you.

EDIT : just downloaded your link : it's a binary version :-( And even worse a 32 bit one...
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recompiled gcc-4.4.0 from portage and wanted to recompil glibc which fails with :
Code:

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-version.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-version.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-version.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-version.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-profile.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-profile.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-profile.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-profile.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-conflict.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-conflict.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-conflict.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-conflict.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-tls.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-tls.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-tls.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-tls.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-origin.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-origin.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-origin.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-origin.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-execstack.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-execstack.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-execstack.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-execstack.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-caller.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES    -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-caller.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-caller.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-caller.os
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc dl-open.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -Wall -Winline -Wwrite-strings -fmerge-all-constants -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -fPIC -g0 -O99 -fomit-frame-pointer -D__USE_STRING_INLINES -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4   -I../include -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf -I/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl -I../sysdeps/i386/elf -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../nptl/sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/pthread -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux -I../sysdeps/gnu -I../sysdeps/unix/common -I../sysdeps/unix/mman -I../sysdeps/unix/inet -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/sysv -I../sysdeps/unix/i386 -I../nptl/sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/unix -I../sysdeps/posix -I../sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i686 -I../sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386/i486 -I../sysdeps/i386/fpu -I../nptl/sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/i386 -I../sysdeps/wordsize-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 -I../sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 -I../sysdeps/ieee754 -I../sysdeps/generic/elf -I../sysdeps/generic -I../nptl  -I.. -I../libio -I. -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.0/include-fixed -isystem /usr/include -D_LIBC_REENTRANT -include ../include/libc-symbols.h  -DPIC -DSHARED -DNOT_IN_libc=1 -DIS_IN_rtld=1     -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -o /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-open.os -MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-open.os.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-open.os
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-execstack.c: Assembler messages:
../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/dl-execstack.c:163: Error: symbol `__i686.get_pc_thunk.cx' is already defined
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/elf/dl-execstack.os] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/glibc-2.10.1/elf'
make[1]: *** [elf/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.10.1/work/glibc-2.10.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any idea ?
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try simplifying your CFLAGS and see if by removing one or two it fixes it
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregoire wrote:
Just recompiled gcc-4.4.0 from portage and wanted to recompil glibc which fails with :
--snip--
Any idea ?

I would love to see your CFLAGS...
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glibc ebuild strips CFLAGS.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this :
Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ftracer -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe"

sofar i haven't tried to recompil with simpler ones.
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the tracer and tree-vectorize and see if it fixes it.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the right way in portage to remove (or add) flags for some part of the ebuild ?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to what randomlychosen has to say. I have seen 4.4 produce larger and slower code than 4.2 (4.3 was slower and larger than 4.2 but only slightly). We all know this: latest is not always the greatest. Devs do go overboard some times and regressions are a reality of the software release cycles.

Its one of those things that get lost in the hardware upgrades. 2% here and 1% there, and it got lost in that 20% boost you got from latest hardware. Some folks still think 2.95 was the best gcc ever and I agree. It has gotten slower and fatter since then.
Gregoire
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to retry 4.2.4 so I switched it from gcc-config and for some program I have those errors :
Code:

eix -I gcc
eix: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by eix)

Resetting it to gcc-4.4.0 solve this issue, as does a recompilation of eix with gcc-4.2.4-r1.
In case that could help :
Code:

ll /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.7M 2009-07-13 23:40 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.7M 2009-07-13 23:40 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++_pic.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 2009-07-13 23:40 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.6.0.9
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   18 2009-07-13 23:40 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.9
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 975K 2009-07-13 23:40 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.4/libstdc++.so.6.0.9
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomlychosen wrote:
Letharion wrote:

Here's the list of items which I believe will be interesting for everyone here.

On this topic, I ask randomlychosen, as well as anyone else who cares to comment.
Would it be acceptable/reasonable/meningfull to run benchmarks in a VM?
Or would the VM for some reason cause the benchmarks to be useful only inside another VM? Which in itself would also be useful, considering how much of the world is going virtual.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering (I should know this :oops: ) about using gcc-4.4.1_pre9999. I have it installed, and the first time after I switched over I completely rebuilt the toolchain, then @system and then @world.

It's working great so far on one of my Gentoo testing installs, with kde-live. My question is: When I rebuild to the latest gcc pre9999, what is the recommended subsequent procedure?

Rebuild only the toolchain with the upgraded gcc?
Rebuild the toolchain and then also emerge -e @system?
Or, rebuild toolchain, then everything else with emerge -e @world?

Or it doesn't really matter- just rebuild nothing, and proceed normally with regular system/world updates.

What's everyone else using pre9999 doing after an update?
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but I do this:
Code:
emerge -1 sys-kernel/linux-headers && emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc && emerge -1 app-admin/eselect && emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc-config && emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils-config && emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils && emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc
Check that gcc-config has the correct gcc.
emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc && emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils && emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc
emerge -e system
emerge -e world

While we're at it, is all my emerge && superfluous? Are things guaranteed to emerge in any order without them?

I base this on:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-282474.html[/list]
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread explaining why multiple merges are useless. wrc1944's situation is quite of a different kind though.
If I'm right, gcc-4.4.1_pre9999 means that you are using the gcc-4.4.x development line, thus you are recompiling gcc with the patches post-4.4.1 that should make up for the gcc-4.4.2 release. Now, the devel schedule of gcc is to have minor releases every two months after the branch release. That is:
day 1: gcc 4.4.0 is released
day 61: gcc 4.4.1 is released
day 121: gcc 4.4.2 is released
etc
The minor releases include only the bugfixes and regression fixes from the current branch versus the old ones (gcc 4.4 against gcc 4.3/4.2/...).
Unless you're a gcc developer or want to help testing, I strongly advise not to recompile gcc with the "live" snapshots. The reason is the very same reason the GCC developers decided to wait two months between minor releases, that is: avoid a lot of overhead in terms of packaging, testing and recompilation; accumulate work and push it out. If you look at a bugzilla "diff" of what has been fixed in gcc 4.4.1 against 4.4.0 you can see 43 bugs over two months, and most of them are very unlikely to be hit by the average user due to their corner case nature. I find the choice of pre9999 of little use (especially if one wants to recompile the whole world everytime) because unless using special compiler features, it is unlikely to have some application bug resolved due to bogus code generated by the previous compiler.
Apart from this, as logical deduction from the thread above, I'd stick with this:
Code:
emerge -1 gcc
emerge -1 linux-headers glibc binutils
emerge -e world

which is the very minimum to update all of your system (except for the duplicate re-emerge of gcc linux-headers glibc in the last step).
That would give you: a) a ready compiler b) a ready toolchain c) brand new world.
As for the merge order question raised by Letharion, it is usually safe to use the order above (split gcc from linux-headers, glibc, binutils). In the second step we have deps automatically resolved, because glibc DEPENDs on virtual/os-headers, which in turn pulls in linux-headers. The binutils package order is not critical, since everything is dynamically linked it can be merged both before and after glibc. As for the 1st step suggested by Letharion, re-emerging separately eselect, gcc-config, binutils-config is useless since those are mostly scripts (bash or python) and are not critical to the compilation of other packages.

Cheers,
Neo2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: