View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimi_hendrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: is gentoo for me? Reply with quote

hi

i am thinking of possibly installing gentoo on my machine

i have had previous experience with ubuntu but that is all

how is gentoo different from ubuntu and other linuxes

ive heard gentoo needs a set of "gentoo only" skills that i wont use with any other distro, is this true?

thank you
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as you may know (I hope you read the installation documentation before making your decision), Gentoo is a source based distro ( a few others are out there, but nothing like this)...so if it bothers you that you'll be compiling virtually everything...then it's not for you. Of course, you won't be compiling it, your machine and portage will. It has a very unique package system (actually, the idea seems to be related to FreeBSD ports), that is second to none, in my opinion. All the skills you need to learn are very well documented. Bottom line...if you can exactly follow instructions and know the the basic linux commands, you should have no big problems. Once you are past that, and are very conservative during your learning phase (i.e. stay away from unstable stuff until you've got things stable and learn the ropes a bit), it is a very easy distro to maintain...in fact, it's beautiful the way it works. And, it may be the most open and configurable linux there is, though once installed, automates most of the tedious, hard stuff away.

The 'Gentoo specific' skills are really linux specific skills that other distros try to hide from you...with the exception of portage, which is Gentoo specific and you should study up on a bit. Do not even think about trying to use the Graphical installer for Gentoo...you won't learn anything and it is broken anyway. Look around the forums and please read the docs before you make your decision. But if you do decide Gentoo is something you would like to try...there is no distro with better documentation, forums, IRC, or mail lists....just learn how to ask questions here, and you will get help. BTW, some people get the install right the first time and many have to make 2 or 3 tries before the get it and are successful....so perserverence is also very helpful.
jimi_hendrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
actually, the idea seems to be related to FreeBSD ports,

actually a BSD distro (PC-BSD) is also on my list aswell as zenwalk (ive heard its and fast and it got my wireless down right on the live cd)

Quote:

BTW, some people get the install right the first time and many have to make 2 or 3 tries before the get it and are successful....so perserverence is also very helpful.

i have, in vain, reinstalled arch twice (internet issue...it would connect until i configured xorg then it wouldnt...), and slackware twice (wouldnt even boot...)

how difficult is the non-GUI installer?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy.
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was a FreeBSD user before I discovered Gentoo...so the idea appealed to me from the beginning.

As far as how difficult the non-GUI installer is...there really isn't a choice. The GUI installer is pretty bad. It's broken, in many ways, and will often lead to a failed install.

Honestly, I think it depends on how much prior exposure you've had to Unix based systems before. Someone coming from a Windows-only (or Ubuntu only) point and click world, may struggle with it, though many of those folks have been successful. Those with some prior linux background will find it much easier. But you can judge for yourself...have a look at the installation instructions, and see if this looks like something you could understand enough to follow. If you are fairly new to linux, then it will take a bit more effort. A lot will depend on how much you like the Gentoo concept and want to see it through. If you are comfortable with the linux basics...and can follow these excellent intructions...not taking any shortcuts...it's a piece of cake:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

Of course if you are linux expert, it's just all fun. Most here weren't, though, when they installed it the first time.
jimi_hendrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
Someone coming from a Windows-only (or Ubuntu only) point and click world, may struggle with it

i did get arch working pretty well with just a CLI (stupid wireless internet)...
ekz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Saludos!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

platojones wrote:
Of course if you are linux expert, it's just all fun. Most here weren't, though, when they installed it the first time.

Heh ain't that the truth. However much you think you know Linux, a manual Gentoo install shows you how little that actually is (unless of course you've done LFS.)
jimi_hendrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken that test many times... :)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My result : Gentoo and Slackware :P
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:

What is so nice about slackware? I have to admit I'm tempted simply based on who's recommended it to me, but I can't see the point given that I've got Gentoo. ;-)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know :P

I wish that my result was Gentoo and FreeBSD at least :P
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
platojones wrote:

Heh ain't that the truth. However much you think you know Linux, a manual Gentoo install shows you how little that actually is (unless of course you've done LFS.)
Don't scare him away. First time I installed Gentoo, it only took me about 4 hours to get everything working. That was my headless server though---doing a full graphical install will take a while, but it's not like you have to do something while it's compiling all the packages.

Anyway, @jimi_hendrix:
I used Kubuntu for ~2 years before moving to Gentoo. I didn't find it that difficult, and I suggest you at least give it a shot.

steveL wrote:
d2_racing wrote:

What is so nice about slackware? I have to admit I'm tempted simply based on who's recommended it to me, but I can't see the point given that I've got Gentoo. ;-)
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would use Slackware, especially when there's no package management. But I guess all the old-timers out there feel at home with it. Whippersnappers such as myself will stick to Gentoo :lol:
bitpicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Gentoo in early 2006; before that, I had Suse 9.1, but as I was trying to keep up with the development of Inkscape, which was pretty quick back then, I found myself forced to compile quite a substantial number of things by hand as there were no packages for 9.1 anymore. In the end my system was no longer compatible to Suse 9.1 packages... ;)

So when my harddisk died on me I took the plunge and installed Gentoo. Took a couple of days, but worked the first time around. And that system is still in use. Now, I still have Ubuntu on my notebook and suggest it to anyone who wants a Linux system which just works, but for my main system I prefer Gentoo, as I feel too constrained by normal desktop distributions. I get the impression (which might be wrong) that it is easy to break any distro given you fiddle a lot with it, but Gentoo is the only distribution which you can repair easily, too.

Robin
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitpicker wrote:
II get the impression (which might be wrong) that it is easy to break any distro given you fiddle a lot with it, but Gentoo is the only distribution which you can repair easily, too.
Robin

In fact, you can always chroot your box to repair the mess :P
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
platojones wrote:

if you have used slackware for a while gentoo hasn't any surprised left for you ;)

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
d2_racing wrote:

Slackware is... it is is.. well.. hmm... the beautifull thing about slackware is its simplicity. Not 1 million interacting scrip. Everything is kept simple and clean. You do all the maintenance with a shell and text editor - but it is fast and robust and all the scripts are well commented and easy to understand. Slackware is the distro where you learn the most. Also - Slackware is very conservative with patches and always almost identical to the stuff upstream released. There is no heavily patched X, gcc, kernel or KDE. And the stuff works. Very, very well.
If gentoo ever collapses - I will go back to Slackware. Slackware is like your first love that you can never forget and that has always a couch for you to sleep on if your current gf kicks you out. It won't make you an elaborate dinner, but will see after your basic needs.

javeree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, I've gone the a similar route route:

I started out as a windows user with Mandrake, but was too much of a newbie to understand how I could change any of its behaviour apart from the thing KDE let me change (desktop background). I looked around to several 'simpler' alternatives (Vector Linux, College Linux, ...), but then tried Slackware loved it. Slackware again gave me the feeling of control I had in my DOS days: knowing exactly what is on your system and why. No need for fancy installers: I can say 'yes' to a question asked on screen just as well as I can press a graphical button.
I used it for a while, compiling programs when needed, but soon felt the need for a package manager to keep track of my installs, and especially to ged rid of dependency hell. This is when I discovered Gentoo (2004), and I've never left it since.

It took me days to install on a Pentium II following the handbook, but it all worked on the first try ! All I had to do was to follow each step from the handbook exactly (trying to understand what I was doing in the first place). But Oh the feeling of control I've had since then !

Gentoo deviates from the Slackware philosophy to follow upstream exactly, but not too much. Mostly it sets its own location for thge programs executable and config files, but this makes it all the more logical. In Slackware I had to guess where to find configurations depending on what upstream liked most, now I know where to look for things: all configuration is in /etc, all starutp related things are in /etc/{init,conf}.d/
Portage completely eliminates dependency hell, and gives you the ability to install just what you want.
Thanks to the fantastic forum, almost any question is answered

The only thing I would still whish for is a 'fast install' method. Basically I am dreaming of a pre-built binary distribution, with most settings already prepared for a sane 'standard' x86 desktop, e.g. kde, oOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, ... just like most binary distro, but comming with the complete gentoo background and portage (or with portage rsyncing after startup), so that I could start using a PC in a matter of hours just like what a binary distro allows you (or Windows for that matter), but that I can start to recompile later (e.g. at night) in the background with my own custom architecture, cflags and use flags.

That would really combine the power of gentoo with the fast installation times from other distros. Lets call it kugentoo ;-)
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to do manual package management in Slackware?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation energyman; sounds a lot like Gentoo tbh; I like mc a lot for server admin. Though the dependency hell javeree mentions doesn't sound fun, and I love portage (combined with update) for keeping my system in shape. As I've said, a bug on Gentoo isn't the same as a bug on a binary distro; 90% of problems are issues to do with new packages building and compiling okay, but in the meantime the previous version usually works fine. Regardless of how long a major new desktop environment release takes to get into the stable tree, the rest of the tree is pretty much at state of the art imo. Anyone who's interested enough can unmask a package, use an overlay or even live ebuilds, and there are IRC channels for practically everything you can run.

Not knocking slackware, but it'd take a hell of a lot to get me to switch to another distro. I've been using mandriva on desktop recently only because my old desktop crapped out and I was trying other distros to get the new one installed quickly. I admit it, I wanted a desktop setup for me without any grief ;) mandriva is nice though, it was what I used to use before Gentoo. What I'd really love is a port of drakconf to Gentoo, but I don't know perl well enough (and I don't have time and headspace to get into yet another language atm; in freetime I'm getting my head fully round make atm, like I did with bash for so long. It's a lot easier now I know *nix cli really well; #bash rock although they have a vastly different mindset to Gentoo users in terms of being friendly.;)

update - "a most excellent portage wrapper"

#friendly-coders -- We're still here for you™ ;)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:

how hard is configure&&make&&make install?

srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:

Very hard, which is why I use ebuilds to grab stuff from Git/SVN/CVS :D

One thing I really hated when using Kubuntu was having to manually install stuff from Git/SVN/CVS.

Also, I'm not really talking about that. I'm mostly asking about dependency resolvation, and how difficult that is.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
srunni wrote:

Very hard, which is why I use ebuilds to grab stuff from Git/SVN/CVS :D

Also, I'm not really talking about that. I'm mostly asking about dependency resolvation, and how difficult that is.

as hard as you can think ;)

NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: is gentoo for me? Reply with quote

jimi_hendrix wrote:
hi

i am thinking of possibly installing gentoo on my machine

i have had previous experience with ubuntu but that is all

how is gentoo different from ubuntu and other linuxes

ive heard gentoo needs a set of "gentoo only" skills that i wont use with any other distro, is this true?

thank you

Getting back to your original post, "'gentoo only' skills" seems to be somewhat of a misnomer. These skills are required for Linux in general, but many distributions come up with bloated GUIs or scripts to take care of them for users. Gentoo does require one to learn a bunch of new aspects of Linux, but that is part of what makes it incredibly rewarding! To me, the community here is completely unparalled. The beautiful thing about that is that you can come here with any questions you might have along the way, and you'll find many users more than willing to help you out. :) Try it; you'll like it. ;)
kaldek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: is gentoo for me? Reply with quote

kalos wrote:

Getting back to your original post, "'gentoo only' skills" seems to be somewhat of a misnomer.

Hmm, I wouldn't say *that* exactly.

For example, in Gentoo you learn that USE flags affect lots of stuff, from the packages which are installed, the compile options applied to them, and also the files that will be installed by the package!

For example, the "wmp" USE flag for "mplayerplug-in" causes this package to install the files which let you watch streaming windows media. If you don't add that use flag, it may well compile them but it doesn't install the files into the nsplayer plugin directory, and you can be left wondering why you can't watch windows media streams.
Another example is installing packages which are not in the main package tree; configuring portage overlays (package databases not maintained by the Gentoo team), and managing any package conflicts that arise is Gentoo specific. Also, unmasking packages using your ~arch keyword is also Gentoo-specific.

The above information is obviously useless on any other flavour of Linux. So yes, there is definitely some Gentoo-specific knowledge that will not transport to other distributions. Personally, the idea of trying to get, say, Compiz Fusion working in Ubuntu scares the hell outta me. I *KNOW* how to do it in Gentoo, so to me it's the easiest method.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: