coreavc-for-linux on Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesbch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: coreavc-for-linux on Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm searching a way to decode the heavy movies with hardware or with a performant codec. I found the CoreAVC Codec (not free) and a solution to use it on Linux. It's called coreavc-for-linux http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/
The method used is to patch mplayer to accept the codecs with coreserve. I tried as they and using the workdir of portage but I haven't any video anymore (black video). I had to recompile and reboot to have mplayer working again.

Is there a way to add the patch to an custom ebuild ? Any other idea ?
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've followed the method on google code and gotten it to work. So, if you've got the coreserve entry in your ~ version of codecs.conf, are you specifying -vc coreserve everytime? Can you post your .mplayer/config file as well as the precise command you were running, and the type of video file it is? It wasn't totally trivial to get this stuff working, and I still have to ctrl+z my mplayer while installing and apply the patch. You did do that, right? Can you give me the command and output of the patch command?
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get this to work for mplayer-9999-r20 (svn), without success. I'm pretty sure I hit ctrl-z at the right spot, which is right after the configure script has finished.

Dshowserver seems to be installed correctly:
Code:

dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449
No id specified, assuming test mode49449449494949499
Opening device
Called unk_IsDebuggerPresent
len: 992
ProductVersion: 1.7.0
Decoder supports the following YUV formats: YUY2 UYVY YV12 I420
Decoder is capable of YUV output (flags 0x2b)
Setting fmt
Starting
Initialization is complete

When I start mplayer with -vc coreserve, it tries to load the codec but hangs before anything starts.
I've tried everything from the guide.

Is there any special mplayer version to use? I'm using the latest svn from the berkano overlay.
A new mplayer ebuild including the codec as a use flag (of course nothing illegal), or a more detailed how-to would be very much appreciated.

To be honest I really don't know why I'm trying this, since my processor plays 1080p/h264 just fine using the standard mplayer codecs.
I guess that I'm just curious to see how this new codec works...
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just using the latest mplayer in ~ from portage. I have previously (successfully) used it with the mplayer svn from berkano as well. I just ctrl-z it during the configure, it doesn't matter that configure's not done since it's just patching some of the source files, but that shouldn't affect it.

Are you getting the 1 hunk that fails during the patch? I was getting that for a while, but revision 82 of coreavc-for-linux fixes that, cd there and svn up and grab the more recent mplayer patch. Or fix it by hand.

Of course, if yours is patching incorrectly then I don't know... Also, you can play 1080p movies just fine, eh? On my AMD 6400+ I def. can't. It's quite unwatchable. It's okay for a few minutes, then unwatchable. Any particular flags you use? I wish I didn't have to mess with this codec, but, it seems I do.
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the latest from portage actually makes a difference, since the patch applies just fine without failing. I'll try it all again tomorrow.
As for the 1080p movies, they run smooth as silk on my C2D 2.4 (E6600) using 1 core only. I've never used AMD and probably never will after reading this. 8)
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, maybe, lol. I also have it in 32bit mode, and from what I hear, encoding/decoding is the one place where 64bits really shines. Maybe if someday I decide to switch filesystems I'll use that opportunity to re-roll my system as 64bit.

There are no particular options you find effective though? I mean, my processor should be able to handle it! I can watch 720p without issue using x264, but 1080p no dice. Ugh.
Jamesbch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaksauce wrote:
I'm just using the latest mplayer in ~ from portage. I have previously (successfully) used it with the mplayer svn from berkano as well. I just ctrl-z it during the configure, it doesn't matter that configure's not done since it's just patching some of the source files, but that shouldn't affect it.

Are you getting the 1 hunk that fails during the patch? I was getting that for a while, but revision 82 of coreavc-for-linux fixes that, cd there and svn up and grab the more recent mplayer patch. Or fix it by hand.

Of course, if yours is patching incorrectly then I don't know... Also, you can play 1080p movies just fine, eh? On my AMD 6400+ I def. can't. It's quite unwatchable. It's okay for a few minutes, then unwatchable. Any particular flags you use? I wish I didn't have to mess with this codec, but, it seems I do.

I didn't try like that (exit during the configuration) I'll give a try.
For your amd 6400+ it's weird because I had a 4800+ and was able to play 1080p (but using a lots of CPU). Are you using the coreavc right now ? It should be playing really smoothly with your CPU.

Oak wrote:
Is there any special mplayer version to use? I'm using the latest svn from the berkano overlay.
A new mplayer ebuild including the codec as a use flag (of course nothing illegal), or a more detailed how-to would be very much appreciated.

I think we could make a custom ebuild that include the patch of coreavc-for-linux. Optionally an ebuild for dshowserver too.

Oak wrote:
To be honest I really don't know why I'm trying this, since my processor plays 1080p/h264 just fine using the standard mplayer codecs.
I guess that I'm just curious to see how this new codec works...

Yeah for me too but I'm curious to know if a solution exists on Linux to play heavy HD films with a light hardware. It could be useful for a small PC for media centers, since a lot's of solutions exists on Windows I would like to run Linux as much as possible. If coreavc-for-linux is working well so it could be one of the unique solution to decode these kind of movies on Linux.
weaksauce
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, it's smooth with coreavc. It's not with the x264 codec though. An ebuild to do the patch on its own would be nice, just toss in a use-flag to add that patch. The patch itself isn't prop. and so shouldn't have any problem being in portage, right?

But another issue is VC-1 files. If you've ever stumbled across one of those, (it's a windows-media format) coreavc won't display video for it. I found a post somewhere on an ubuntu forum about it, and they said it was fixed with the latest svn mplayer and rev. 82 of coreavc for linux. I tried that, and it did not solve the problem. Has anyone else gotten coreavc-for-linux to work with VC-1 files or should I start another thread? (my processor can't handle the 1080p movies without it).
Oak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weaksauce wrote:
There are no particular options you find effective though? I mean, my processor should be able to handle it! I can watch 720p without issue using x264, but 1080p no dice. Ugh.

I don't have any special options turned on. It's strange that it's not working for you.

weaksauce wrote:
Oh, yeah, it's smooth with coreavc. It's not with the x264 codec though. An ebuild to do the patch on its own would be nice, just toss in a use-flag to add that patch. The patch itself isn't prop. and so shouldn't have any problem being in portage, right?

CoreAVC doesnt handle anything else but AVC/H264 as far as I know, and MPEG2 files in 1080p aren't that heavy to decode with a fairly new cpu. If you can't play back those, something is really wrong with your setup.

As for VC-1 i believe that I've stumbled upon a couple of these. If you ask me, it's just Microsofts version of H264. No less, no more and no harder to decode.

I don't think that the CoreAVC codec will give such a big speed improvement over mplayer/ffmpeg libavcodec. It is faster, but not that much faster. I still haven't tried to get it to work yet, but some day...

I bet that you all know this, but I'll clarify it anyway for people who doesn't: x264 is an encoder for h264 video, which is a standard.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: