Installing via Knoppix across NFS mount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gserack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Installing via Knoppix across NFS mount Reply with quote

I've been toying with a diskless setup for Gentoo, and I've read a ton in the forums (THANK YOU) about how to get it all to work.

Caution: I'm hardly a Linux Expert, by any strech of the imagination, but I try reaaaaal hard.

I'm having moderatly good success, and I'm working towards documenting my findings in a nifty little HOWTO document as I approach complete success.

I've started with the most excellent set of posts in the https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54293 which have been quite useful... I set up a linux system booting completely across the network, and was somewhat pleased with the results.

I originally started all this by using VMWare under windows, booting with a diskimage from http://rom-o-matic.com, and no IDE devices. This worked quite fantastic, with a couple of exceptions. First, I was unable to build KDE, as I was getting a few errors, which from other posts seemed to be the fault of VMWare and the build of my kernel. So, I switched to booting an actual computer, with a similarly generated rom, applied to a Compact flash card(8mb=$3) and a compactflash to IDE dohickey.

Now, I was able to boot, but I didn't want to start with the mess I had left myself from the VMWare version, so I began anew, with a couple of changes. I was reading elsewhere on the forum https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=39998 , where folks used the Knoppix CD to boot, and install Gentoo from there. I booted into knoppix, mounted myself across NFS, and began to do the install, starting at step 6.

I've run into a few snags along the way. I've tried doing a stage1 install, and I keep running into problems along the way:

- I found out I had to mount my NFS with 'nolock' in order to get around a lock problem

- I've tried using several values for -march= (i686,athlon-xp) in my make.conf, but I keep having it fail on compiling some things in the bootstrap.sh...

I guess my questions about all this are:

1. Has anyone tried to build a Gentoo system across and NFS mount?
2. Does an NFS guru know of anything I may be doing wrong (off the cuff?) ?
3. Is there maybe a better way for this stuff?
4. Any comments?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: