Bootup "disk error 10"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zizak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Bootup "disk error 10" Reply with quote

I've been using Debian Etch for about 2 months, and I wanted to see what else there was in terms of Linux distributions. Gentoo attracted me (I like fast penguins I guess?) , so I wanted to try it.

Got the CD, MD5sum checked out, but when I get to the initial boot prompt for the live CD, and type 'gentoo' it gives me this error:

isolinux: Disk error 10, AX=4280 Boot failed, press a key to retry...

I tried several settings in the boot options, to no avail.

A google search gave me a slight hint that it could be because I have an AMD64 processor. But they didn't expand on it, so I have no idea.

I also thought about the minimal install disk but....the handbook looks EXTREMELY daunting. I know my way around the command line, but I still consider myself a Linux noob (plus, I was brought up on Windows and graphical installers, so it's my preference) .

Unless of course theres a way to get it installed on the minimal disk without needing to do it manually.
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably your CD is faulty. Were any errors reported when you burned the CD?

Suggest download the minimal amd64 iso. If you are on Etch type cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc <downloaded iso file> (replace /dev/hdc with your CD-RW drive's device path).

Follow the Handbook step-by-step. It's not hard to do if you do it by the book. 8)
Zizak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the compatibility of the 32-bit version. 64-bit doesn't have all the software it could (unless gentoo is different? ) .
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, in that case, I believe the x86 iso is the correct one, it will provide an i686-pc-linux-gnu architecture.
I still think that the error is due to a corrupt CD. :)
Zizak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've downloaded the CD twice now, same error both times. Md5sum matches so....I don't understand what's going on.

My computer is about a year old now, I built it back before I used Linux. Debian Etch is the only distribution that has worked. Debian Lenny's GUI doesn't function properly with my onboard graphics (or my NVIDIA card, but I expected as much) . And that strikes me as odd because Lenny is newer than etch. Shouldn't it have MORE compatibility with newer software?

OpenSUSE's livecd is so unfunctional I can't use it. I can see everything (after it loads for about 15 minutes) , but clicking install only makes it hang, and when it finally gets to loading it up, pressing 'next' doesn't do anything.

I guess what I could do is try the minimal cd with the handbook and just HOPE it goes exactly as it should. I want a more up-to-date distribution than etch, but one that actually works....

I'm on Knoppix right now, which is the most flawless version of Linux I've run into. It just works. But I've heard horror stories about installing to hard drive, so I'm just going to leave it on it's little CD (suits me just fine there) .

Thanks for all the help! I tend to let first impressions like this slide, so no worries :P .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: