install with other distro or livecd...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z-e-n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: install with other distro or livecd... Reply with quote

hi folks!

i don't undestand how to install 'gentoo' and gentoo 'minimal' with 'other' distro or 'livecd'...how is that possible? maybe is there some literature?

c u!
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow the handbook you'll notice that you're going to be installing gentoo using a shell like bash. So any linux livecd that both supports your hardware, is relatively recent, and has a command-line shell can be used for installing gentoo.

And the reason I said it has to be relatively recent is because if the livecd is old the kernel used by it might be too old for when you try to "chroot" into your gentoo install.
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install from an existing Linux distro you can look here for info
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a fair few people using SysRescCd to do the gentoo install, chiefly because it usually has a morere cent kernel than the gentoo images

Snag that, open a terminal, and then just follow the Gentoo Handbook as per usual

There's heaps on the forums about doing this as well, already documented, so you might give a quickie search for it

Last edited by cach0rr0 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Stupendoussteve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian boot floppies/businesscard/PXEboot works, just need a binary of bzip2. Used to be my primary install method.
Ender305
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SysRescCd works very well, there are one or two things that don't work, but you can get around it.
I also did part of an installation through a working Ubuntu installation, doing it through an existing installation is nice because the OS is faster and when you get halfway through menuconfig and want to gouge your eyes out, you can take a break and play a game. :D
phaeton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ve done it many times from a ubuntu live CD
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used the gentoo livecd to install, I use everytime sabayon now.
You must only partition the disk, mount, download and untar the stage 3 on the mounted directory, bind mount /sys /proc and /dev and chroot. The rest is identical as reported in the official guide.
The only thing you can need is to disable the features sandbox and user-sandbox in some environments (but not in sabayon) if you get sandbox errors.
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... also you don't even need to mount /sys and it's a good to flush your environment when you chroot
Code:
env -i HOME=$HOME TERM=$TERM chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

Also I have done this many times from different distros and never needed to disable sandbox features.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install is almost completely the same whether you do it from an official gentoo CD or some other distro. I've used the gentoo CD's most of the time, but I've also done an install from a very minimal debian "rescue" system...and it was totally fine. Just follow the directions in the handbook!
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished a somewhat roundabout route to installing Gentoo. I had only a wireless card to connect to the net with from my old AMD Athlon thunderbird (1.2 GHz) based box and I couldn't make it work with anything else then the Sabayon install DVD.

I installed Sabayon and then went about changing this into a Gentoo installation. I had to remove the Sabayon overlay, change the CHOST variable (nice howto on the wiki on that), set stable tree (x86 from ~x86). Removed that package manager sabayon uses (entropy). I also removed lots of unnecessary packages, e.g. games, gnome, fluxbox and decided to keep kde and xfce4 on this one. After cleaning out I emerge world, which still took ages and I also changed kernel to a super slim Pappy based 2.25-gentoo-r9 (his kernel seeds are great, check this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-707499-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html).

Quiet a bit of work in the end, but an educational process. I wouldn't do this again though. I have a d-link wireless card with the infamous acx111 chip. The open source driver just isn't very good yet and only now when I have finished everything else, have I found the correct windows driver to use with ndiswrapper. So if I have to do this again I would use a live cd and the chroot process.

Anyway, going via a Sabayon installation and reverting it to Gentoo is possible (just about). I think its likely to become more and more difficult with each Sabayon release though. They will probably drift away from Gentoo as they go forward using that entropy package manager.

Mons
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: