XEN - serialport & usb for DomU ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxtuxhellsinki
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: XEN - serialport & usb for DomU ? Reply with quote

So, how could I configure serialports (ttyS0/1) and maybe some usb-devices to work in just one DomU :?:

In that way I don't have to "emulate/virtualize" 'em via dom0, but they're "kind of" straight connected/used in just one domU ?
BlackEye
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bridge the serialport by the following steps (at least - these are the steps I did)

Disable serialport useage by xen. In default, xen use the serial port by its own to let you connect to your xen terminal
-> edit your grub.conf and change your boot entry to something like this:
Code:
title Xen-Server
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/xen.gz
module /boot/kernel-xen xencons=off root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/dm-1 dodmraid
module /boot/initramfs-xen

The important thing is the xencons=off

Now, reboot your machine, edit your domU config file and add the following:
Code:
serial = "/dev/ttyS0"

To get USB to work under your domU you need (beside some luck) the following in your domU config:
Code:
usb=1
usbdevice='host:0572:1328'

where the usbdevice-address the the address of your usb device you wish to have in your domU. You can grab this address from lsusb.
Instead of the individual address of the device, you can either describe the device by the Bus/Device address of your usb-adapter by using the following lines:
Code:
usb=1
usbdevice='host:003.001'

This describes the device which is connected on the BUS 003 and Device 001

However - I was only able to bridge a storeage device like an usb-stick into the domU. Afaik, there are many problems with these usb bridging method.

As a second and maybe better solution, you can bridge the whole usb-adapter into your domU. Unfortunately these need vt-t technologie to be working and enabled for your mainboard. But with this method you should be able to fully use the USB-Adapter in your domU

hth,
Martin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: