Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhelvens
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubomir wrote:
You will just get the following answer from samsung: we only support the preinstalled windows that was on your system.

Well, it seems you're right. I had hope because the last guy gave me a different answer. This is really frustrating. I got the guy as far as to say he would pass the problem along and send me an answer back. But I don't expect much from that anymore.

Please, what can I try on my end to get Linux 64 bit working? Do you think it's possible to get everything (power management, webcam, bluetooth, networking, extra keyboard keys, etc.) working by tweaking kernel options and such, despite the acpi problems in the motherboard? Or is there some open source bios I can flash?

You see, I need to be sure, because if I install Linux now, I can never return the notebook to the store. If I need to give more information, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've found this story on the Ubuntu forums. It's about a Foxconn motherboard that doesn't handle ACPI well for Linux. This guy suspects that Foxconn intentionally redirected Linux to a faulty table so it wouldn't run. Well, I don't know about that, but I did follow some of the steps he gave in his original post. Here is the relevant part of the dsdt code dump:

Code:
    Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            Store (0x07D0, \OSYS)
            Store (0x07D0, OSYS)
            If (CondRefOf (_OSI, Local0))
            {
                If (_OSI ("Linux"))
                {
                    Store (0x03E8, \OSYS)
                    Store (0x03E8, OSYS)
                }

If (_OSI ("Windows 2001"))
                {
                    Store (0x07D1, \OSYS)
                    Store (0x07D1, OSYS)
                }

If (_OSI ("Windows 2001 SP1"))
                {
                    Store (0x07D1, \OSYS)
                    Store (0x07D1, OSYS)
                }

If (_OSI ("Windows 2001 SP2"))
                {
                    Store (0x07D2, \OSYS)
                    Store (0x07D2, OSYS)
                }

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006"))
                {
                    Store (0x07D6, \OSYS)
                    Store (0x07D6, OSYS)
                }

If (LAnd (\MPEN, LEqual (\OSYS, 0x07D1)))
                {
                    TRAP (TRTP, \ESCS)
                }

TRAP (TRTI, SOOT)
                SECS (0xA8)
                If (LEqual (OSYS, 0x07D6))
                {
                    If (LAnd (And (CFGD, 0x01000000), And (CFGD, One)))
                    {
                        TRAP (TRTP, PSSS)
                    }

PNOT ()
                }
            }
        }
    }

I have no idea what it means exactly, but this code, too, has a specific section for Linux. It uses an address very different (0x03E8) from the one it gives Windows (0x07Dx). I wonder if Linux would boot fine if it got the exact same information as Windows does. But I can't install Linux to test this theory because I could never bring the laptop back to the store if I did.
Lubomir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michiel_H wrote:

You see, I need to be sure, because if I install Linux now, I can never return the notebook to the store. If I need to give more information, please ask.

Of course you can return it. It doesnt matter what OS is been installed. You are funny... :roll:
You also can just bring the notebook without the hdd back when youjust want to get it repaired. I am systemadmin in a bigger firm and thats never a problem. For example our chef would never give his hdd out right that and when for example the display backlight dont work, then they never need the hdd to repair that :lol:

And when youthink you "could" get problems, just install windows from cd again and thats it.

Install gentoo and play with the acpi settings in the kernel. When you couldnt get that working, talk with the kernel acpi dev's if you could help with your hardware to get support for that in the kernel. I made that for example so to get sound on my Acer C204tmi tablet pc and now the support is in the kernel(and i think my name too 8) ). I was the only person who use linux on it(i didnt found anyone who used also linux on it before me)
mhelvens
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubomir wrote:
Michiel_H wrote:

Of course you can return it. It doesnt matter what OS is been installed. You are funny... :roll:

Yes I am. But I really can't return it if it has Linux installed. I asked. And to top it all off, the notebook didn't come with a Windows CD. It came with a HDD restoration partition.

You see, when I bought it, I didn't think any of that would matter, since I was gonna install Linux anyway.
Lubomir
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shure you can. Doesnt matter what they say. Beleve me :wink:

For reinstalling windows, just use any windows cd (if vista then dvd).
mhelvens
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your insight, Lubomir. But I can't believe you when I just heard from the store (Media Markt, the Netherlands) that I can only return it if it has its original Windows Vista and Samsung Backup partition intact.

Now it may be possible that some obscure rule exists (in the Netherlands) that contradict the Media Markt policy, but I have no desire to waste time trying to fight the Media Markt on this.

I am bringing the notebook back to the store this evening. It's my last sure option not to waste 750 euro. I can't be 100% sure I will find a Linux solution given enough time. Next time I will do (even) more research before buying. Too bad, really. It's a nice notebook.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your really worried just format the drive or something. when some tech gets the computer he wont care or anything if the data is corrupt he will just slap another version of windows on it or slap a new hard drive with windows on it for that particular laptop. for the most part they dont really care what you put on it. there is just certain things they dont like walking people through steps on how to do certain things on other OS's that they dont support. you could get a tech that never heard of linux on the phone and says that its not supported without windows or you could get a tech that devs on his part time for some linux distro that walks you through exactly what you need to do.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: