View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's Gentoo and Ubuntu's Ubuntu. They're different and targeted at different audiences.

My distro of choice is Gentoo and I like it very much (I'm using Fluxbox seeing as we're comparing desktops as well).

But recently I'd been setting up Gentoo on my netbook and the number of times that I ended up reading howtos on the Ubuntu forums related to network drivers etc. Although the 2 distros are very different, both have some of the best support and online documentation around, even if Gentoo's is slightly better :wink: .

I also have Ubuntu on a stick which I have used several times in emergencies recently (having screwed my initramfs on Gentoo for example).

So in summary I 2 love Gentoo, but I have a certain amount of respect for the Ubuntus.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbaac wrote:

I also have Ubuntu on a stick which I have used several times in emergencies recently (having screwed my initramfs on Gentoo for example).

You should double check SystemrescueCD too, that LiveCD or USB stick saved my Gentoo box a couple of times in the past.
tbaac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
tbaac wrote:

You should double check SystemrescueCD too, that LiveCD or USB stick saved my Gentoo box a couple of times in the past.

Thanks. I did experiment with GRML a few times and that seemed very promising to start with.

But my netbook had quite new wired and wireless cards and I was using dm-crypt and lvm. Ubuntu as it turned out was the easiest solution for an emergency boot disk for me.
I built a custom Ubuntu iso with the newer ath9k driver on it (supporting draft-n, device 002b cards) and put the wired driver source on the 2nd partition on the usb stick, just in case.
When I needed to get back into my box I could just load up Ubuntu off of the stick, connect the wifi, install lvm2 in the live environment and in a couple of minutes I could be back up and running.

I tried various rescue distros (such as GRML) but Ubuntu turned out to be the easiest.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll look into SystemRecueCD, always happy to find new tools :D

Edit: Oh btw, I have a conspiracy theory that M$ give reduced cost OS licenses to manufacturers willing to use hardware that isn't quite supported in the main kernel yet.
The result is that casual users (who may have thought, "I'll try Linux on my new netbook, its supposed to be quite good" then end up giving up when they boot up and can't connect to the internet.
It was a pain even getting Ubuntu working, I had to download the wired network source code from another PC, copy it over and install it into the live environment so that I could get as far as installing the wireless module.

Anyway this is OT sorry, I just wanted to have a quick bitch about M$.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

Some things need yet to be enhanced (more communication from devs to users, maybe some announcements in the forum regarding "big" changes (10.0 profile, python 3, big changes in window manager ebuilds, ...).

But the rest is BIG THUMB UPS !

I started Linux in 1997 with a SuSE. I loved YaST and its first working automatic graphical cards detection and configuration (SaX). I tried MANY distributions, but could not stay more than 1 hour after the installation (if the installation ever was successful).

Then I switched to Linux From Scratch. Very interesting thing to learn the mantra "RTFM ; wget ; tar xzf ; configure ; make ; make install". I installed there Gnome, Firefox, Apache, PHP, MySQL.
Then I saw how difficiult it is to upgrade the distro...

I was ready to go to Gentoo, I discovered in 2004 (see my forum inscription date). And since now, I LOVE IT !
I installed it first on a 800MHz AMD K7 and Pentium II 266 laptop (1 week to emerge -e system !), and it runs now on my AMD64x2 workstation and Atom 1.6 Netbook (Acer Aspire One).

I also tried Gentoo Prefix on Windows, but I didn't want to use Interix, I prefer the raw mingw-gcc alone in order to build native (not-POSIX) applications, usable stand-alond for anybody, without installing 300 Megs of emulation stuff.

I am very happy with Gentoo, and after about 1.5 year of "too stable" period, I see that the Portage tree is really moving those last weeks.
This is a good sign that there are enthousiastic developers working for the Community of Users.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I don't know the status of Python 3 inside Portage, but I didn't run python-updater this time :P
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
In fact, I don't know the status of Python 3 inside Portage, but I didn't run python-updater this time :P

I got python 3.1.1 yesterday and it screwed up the whole system. I masked python and went back to 2.6.2 lol this actual removed my function.sh from baselayout 8O So I extraced a stage3 over my system... the machine is currently emerge -e world_ing at home :D

This was a new install and I might have caused the trouble myself, let's see when I get home...
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check all your config files, because an untar of a Stage 3 or an actual Gentoo box can mess up a lot of stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: