Fresh install with glib-2.6.1 masked from the beginning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noisebleed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Fresh install with glib-2.6.1 masked from the beginning Reply with quote

Hi.

My Gentoo system is currently running with glibc-2.6.1 but because of a nasty problem related to my Via C7 processor it is freezing very often. The only way to keep the system healthy is to downgrade glibc.

So, I went to do a fresh install but the stage3 already has glibc-2.6.1 and I can't get to downgrade to 2.5-r4.

Is there any way to do this? Stage1 helps? Is there any documentation about it?

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kevstar31
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using catalyst to create you own tarball. Use a tarball of your current system to make a seed stage.
noisebleed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kevstar31. Thanks for the reply.

In which way using catalyst can give me a glibc install previous to 2.6.1?

Note: I don't mind loosing my current install. I just need a new one with glibc < 2.6.1
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start with an older stage tarball, then you will get an older glibc.

I am not sure how far back they go, but if an old enough stage tarball is not available, then what kevstar31 suggested is probably the way to go.
noisebleed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyrillic.

I will search for an old hardened stage (I'm using/want to use an hardened system). I've downloaded from barfoo.org but all of the available stages are from this year.

Would stage1 help? Can I select which glibc version to build using this method?

About catalyst I'm not sure if I have understood the method. How can I get glibc-2.5 from there?

I was trying Method B of the gentoo-wiki howto "Downgrade Glibc" but portage stills don't allow me to downgrade.
Howto available at: http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:a5wUwhrWHMEJ:test.gentoo-wiki.com/Downgrade_Glibc+gentoo+glibc+downgrade&hl=pt-PT&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=pt (cached by google)
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create your own "stage3 tarball" without any additional tools. Portage has an environment variable named ROOT (see man emerge). You can make a directory like /home/my_new_gentoo and then emerge the system set of packages into that directory via

Code:
ROOT="/home/my_new_gentoo" emerge --pretend --verbose system

Before you actually run that, mask glibc and set all your desired USE flags, CFLAGs etc. After it has finished compiling, you can tar up /home/my_new_gentoo and you have your custom stage3 tarball.

Last edited by zyko on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method C at the linked page above is insane - don't try it.

Method B fails because the 2.5-r4 glibc ebuild tries to save you from yourself ("Downgrading glibc is NOT supported...destruction"). (Properly, I might add.) You could try to step around this by manually editing the ebuild and rebuilding its digest, but that's frightening. The catalyst approach sounds better.

Catalyst is the Gentoo Release Engineering tool that you can use to create custom stages. I'm not certain (never had a problem with new glibc), but I suspect that you can create a custom Stage 3 tarball with your desired version of glibc by using Catalyst, and masking the appropriate versions of glibc in portage_confdir/package.mask, then running Catalyst to generate your customized, tailor-made stage. (Then unpack that stage, etc. etc.)

Make sure you back up /etc and /var/lib/portage/world - you will want to save your configuration files and world file, which unpacking a stage tarball will happily blow away.

You'll need to use Catalyst to create a Portage snapshot first, then edit your .specfile to your needs (subarch, target, snapshot, CHOST, CFLAGS), as well as package.mask in portage_confdir to mask new versions of glibc.

I like the idea of using Catalyst far more than the methods linked above - but that's just me.

edit: or what Zyko said.
noisebleed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Captain Newbie. Thanks for the explanation.

Indeed Catalyst sounds like a good option. But, right now, I'm installing my system based on an old (2007) hardened stage3 found on http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/gentoo/experimental/x86/hardened/stages/stage3-x86-hardened-2007.0_pre20070209.tar.bz2. Glibc version included is lower than 2.6.1 so it looks good. There was no 686 stage so I'm CHOSTing from 386 now :)

If this process fails I will take a look at Catalyst and maybe ask some more questions :)

The adventure continues...
noisebleed
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I missed your reply zyko. Thanks for the "ROOT feature" info ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: