initrd help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: initrd help Reply with quote

So I've been building a new gentoo system using software raid. Of course it doesn't work (or I wouldn't be adking questions). The problem appears to be that md is unable to auto-detect my raid devices. /boot is raid1 so grub can get to it and start the kernel just fine, / is raid10 which is where the failure is. Of course, not having a root filesystem causes the kernel to panic so all the info I have is what I can see on the last monitor-height of output.

From what I've found on the web at some point autodetect was intentionally broken by the devs due to Bad Things that could happen if you mixed and matched drives from different computers that happened to originally be parts of linux software raid arrays. And that the only way to boot is to use a initrd. Great, but I've never done that before. I've looked on the web but the info I've found on initrd's all has to do with writing C code. I should *not* have to write C code (or for that matter copy-paste someone elses from the net) to get a raid array working, and I'm fairly certain that's not necessary. However, I've not found anything more useful on using an initrd.

Could someone please either tell me or point me to directions that tell me step by step what is needed to create and boot using an initrd? What do I need to enable in the kernel? What files do I have to copy where? How do I need to configure Grub? What other steps are necessary to make this work?

Thanks.
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7

7.d. Alternative: Using genkernel

should make everything you need to make a bootable kernel, unless you want to do it the manual way ;)
fusama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather not use genkernel considering I've already configured my kernel the way I want it (except for the initrd). Are those my only two choices: genkernel, and writing C code?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusama,

The kernel still starts my raid, made with the now dead raidtools, so its probably not a kernel issue. Although, I do know that as you have discovered, its depreciated.

You can still go the initrd route and there is no C to write.

Maybe you can use some kernel parameters in grub.conf
See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/md.txt

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fusama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem is that my raid was not made with the now dead raidtools, it was made with the newest version of mdadm. I could re-make my array, but I'd really rather not because at this point that's a "wipe the drive and start over" solution. While its good to hear that writing C code isn't necessary to use an initrd, I still don't know how to do it.

How do I use a initrd?
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/RAID-1_in_a_hurry_with_grub_and_mdadm - near the bottom has a section about grub and what not
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusama,

Did you try what /usr/src/linux/Documentation/md.txt suggests ?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: initrd help Reply with quote

fusama wrote:
From what I've found on the web at some point autodetect was intentionally broken by the devs ...

It still seems to work for me on a new installation with the rootfs on software RAID0 and kernel 2.6.28-rc7

I do not use an initrd/initramfs but I do use version 0.9 superblocks, because version 1.0 , 1.1 , 1.2 superblocks are not supported by the kernel's autodetect code.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusama wrote:
How do I use a initrd?

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt. It gives fairly good instructions, though it is a bit light on specifics in some places. You will almost certainly want a busybox in your initrd. If you are still stuck after reading that document, post back with details of what you tried and we can try to help you further.
tuber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article with some specifics on how to create an initrd: http://www.timesys.com/EmbeddedLinuxCoffeeHouse/Blogs/initial_ram_disks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: