Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing Gentoo 2008 on GA-EX58-EXTREME (Intel X56 chip)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo 2008 on GA-EX58-EXTREME (Intel X56 chip) Reply with quote

I've bought brand new Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard, that one witch is LGA 1366 socket with Intel X56 chipset. Here are it's specs: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2957&ProductName=GA-EX58-EXTREME

I managed to setup Gentoo, but I can't get integrated LAN working. Live CD has less new kernel, so it may be the case that it misses need drivers (if they even exist on linux at this moment).

So, my questions would be:
1). Does someone know if Gentoo has somethere drivers I need (or at least there are Linux drivers at all)?
2). If first is the case, then I need to build my own install cd with fresh kernel - could someone point me to good howto page (I want mininal CD)?
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the product page you linked shows it's a
Code:
Realtek 8111/8169 LAN
-chip (among the drivers offered for windoze).
kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r5 has support for realtek 8169. i'd just try it.
Quote:
I managed to setup Gentoo, but I can't get integrated LAN working.

the system's running, but no lan?
if that's the case just download the source-files to a usb-drive or sth and put them into /usr/portage/distfiles, emerge, compile and reboot with new kernel.

if not, find a livecd that boots your system with lan (maybe systemrescuecd www.sysresccd.org), boot it and install from there (after the chroot it's (almost) exactly like in the handbook)
GOOD LUCK!
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you should try this version of SystemRescueCD : http://beta.sysresccd.org/systemrescuecd-x86-1.1.4-beta1.iso
Nounours
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the same motherboard. Don't have time to put Gentoo on it for the moment but I have Ubuntu x64 on it.
The Lan works, but not all the time.
When I don't have the LAN, I must turn off the PC, unplug it from electricity, replug it, boot it under Windows and reboot it under Linux. And miracle, I have the Lan.

I think, it might be a problem with the green LAN functionality of this card. :roll:
Don't have a solution yet to solve this.
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same motherboard with 2 x LAN using Realtek 8111D (10/100/1000 Mbit) chip. I couldn't find a live cd that has its drivers on the kernel.

The fastest and simple solution I used was to add an old/valid pci ethernet board to the box. Use one that any kernel has drivers for and use it as temporal solution to install gentoo. Warning: if you use by coincidence a realtek pci ethernet controller, I suggest you "disable" the motherboard LANs or you may encounter problems (was my case).

As soon as you get to your gentoo installed and booting correctly, go to realtek site, grab the 8111D driver (version 8.010.00), compile, install and enable back the motherboard LANs, then you can remove the "temporal ethernet controller".

Driver "works perfect". I'm actually in the process of finding out how to activate both LAN's (only have eth0 working)... but that's another story :-)

Luis
AlterianSpartan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem but i don't have a spare/any pci Ethernet cards
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterianSpartan wrote:
i have the same problem but i don't have a spare/any pci Ethernet cards

Hi, in that case your solution is to try to find a livecd that includes the drivers.

If you find a LiveCD with kernel 2.6.28-gentoo-r1 or greater, then I can confirm you that it includes the driver R8169 supporting chip RTL8111D, which is the one that comes with this Motherboard.

Code:
 --- Ethernet (1000 Mbit)
 <M>   Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support

So, try to find a Live CD that includes this driver. I'm not sure but maybe lower kernel version also include a r8169 supporting rtl8111d.

Also, keep in mind the following. If you have the BIOS "Green LAN" option to "Enable" on both ports (default) then the system with "activate" the LAN only on the ports that have a cable plugged in with a HUB/Switch behind powered on. So, only if it sees the port usable will activate it during boot phase. If it doesn't have a cable plugged in then it will never active it afterwards, no matter you connect a cable later.

In my case, where I want both LAN cards always active, I have put both BIOS "Green LAN" options to "Disable", so I don't care during boot if the switch is powered on or not, my ports will become alive allways.

Luis
AlterianSpartan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go it working, ethernet and the works, found a live cd, thanks for the help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: